Sights & Sounds: UConn Upsets No. 11 Cincinnati | The Boneyard

Sights & Sounds: UConn Upsets No. 11 Cincinnati

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
huskyniner said:
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/allaccess/?media=438496

Does UConn make these videos for a lot of the games? If so, I've never noticed them before. I thought this was really well done.

I loved Boatright fish-bumping the entire media table during pregame.

I'm nit-picking perhaps, but I don't like the official UConn site portraying this win as an upset. We were at home. Calling it an upset is saying that you think Cincy is so much better than us that their superiority trumps our home court.

Reaction Score
I'm nit-picking perhaps, but I don't like the official UConn site portraying this win as an upset. We were at home. Calling it an upset is saying that you think Cincy is so much better than us that their superiority trumps our home court.

Yeah...UConn was a four point favorite. 99% just see the #11 next to Cincinnati's name, though.

Reaction Score
Don't think the selection committee uses the betting lines in their criteria

Reaction Score
I think the parity is so deep this year that "upsets" can be portrayed in different ways. I mean many of us have been Husky fans of for a real long time right?…..how many times have our Huskies been ranked #10 or better and received points from an unranked team even at their place?

So according to the rankings #10 should beat #26-30 anywhere I would think……….I don't care either way but whether you call this an upset or not is a flip of the coin!

Reaction Score
This was a huge win for UConn. Why are people trying to diminish it because we were favorites by a couple of points in Vegas?​

pj

Reaction Score
It was a huge win. Like it or not, against the great defensive teams of the conference, Louisville, Cincinnati, and SMU, we had gone 0-4 coming into the game. We won by dialing up our defense to their level - an elite level. We still have to figure out how to execute offense effectively against a great defense, but we are halfway toward being able to do a lot of damage in the NCAAs.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It was a huge win. Like it or not, against the great defensive teams of the conference, Louisville, Cincinnati, and SMU, we had gone 0-4 coming into the game. We won by dialing up our defense to their level - an elite level. We still have to figure out how to execute offense effectively against a great defense, but we are halfway toward being able to do a lot of damage in the NCAAs.
Totally agree it was a huge win ( as opposed to upset). UConn out defensed a defensive team.

Unlike the SMU game and 3/4 of the USF game I actually felt UConn executed it's offensive sets really well. The Cinci game was frustrating that shots weren't going in, as opposed to the team not moving the ball well on offense. Earlier in the season when UConn was making a high percentage of threes, there was not a lot of offensive movement.

I would say that when DD and AB were in the line up the offense appeared to grind. PN/TO and NG provided the offense with a lot more movement. PN and TO set picks much better than AB and NG is far more active on the court than DD.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
This was a huge win for UConn. Why are people trying to diminish it because we were favorites by a couple of points in Vegas?​

The line simply reflects the fact that the gambling public had more faith in Ollie and Bazz than in Cronin and Kilpatrick.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Totally agree it was a huge win ( as opposed to upset). UConn out defensed a defensive team.

Unlike the SMU game and 3/4 of the USF game I actually felt UConn executed it's offensive sets really well. The Cinci game was frustrating that shots weren't going in, as opposed to the team not moving the ball well on offense. Earlier in the season when UConn was making a high percentage of threes, there was not a lot of offensive movement.

I would say that when DD and AB were in the line up the offense appeared to grind. PN/TO and NG provided the offense with a lot more movement. PN and TO set picks much better than AB and NG is far more active on the court than DD.
At least AB tries to do it right. He'll be fine with a good big-man coach for the summer. Emeka, what are you doing this summer?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
At least AB tries to do it right. He'll be fine with a good big-man coach for the summer. Emeka, what are you doing this summer?
I really like AB and DD. It was just my observation of their play in this game. There are other games that I would critique things differently.

I was emphasizing that there are games in which UConn scores well but, imo, don't develop flow on offense. The Cinci game was the reverse. Certainly the ball has to go through the basket enough times to win. But I feel just scoring without developing is fools gold. I liked the ball movement in the Cinci game. If the team can make the truck load of bunnies they missed and play defense like they did in that game they would be a match for any team this season.

Reaction Score

Tyler was in for a total of 2 minutes, what exactly did he do in that time that was so special? Having a low post threat like Amida opens up the offense, his first 2 shots of the game were great looks, the ball just would not go down, which is pretty much the story for the whole offense yesterday. It's a great sign when you can still win when the ball isn't dropping for you.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Tyler was in for a total of 2 minutes, what exactly did he do in that time that was so special? Having a low post threat like Amida opens up the offense, his first 2 shots of the game were great looks, the ball just would not go down, which is pretty much the story for the whole offense yesterday. It's a great sign when you can still win when the ball isn't dropping for you.
I debated on putting TO in my post when I was really critiquing this game. TO sets screens better than AB but you are correct TO was a non factor this game.

AB was a factor certainly. He neutralized Jackson for stretches and he was a threat on offense that had to be taken seriously, hence the fouls on Jackson. But he did some things poorly that he's done better in other games. In this game he really looked and acted lost on offense. SN was guiding him and DD to spots on the floor, something that hadn't been done in several games. And he wasn't coming out to the top of the key to set screens. I would also say those balls that didn't drop for AB are the result of his not finishing strongly which I hope gets corrected off season.

Would I play TO over AB. Certainly not. But AB has a long way to go in his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom