Sierra Calhoun | The Boneyard

Sierra Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Sierra had come to UConn, she most likely would be sitting on the bench most of the time, but she choose Duke and is averaging 30+ min per game and jacking up a lot of shots at a very low shooting percentage. I wonder which is better for an athlete when picking where to go to school.

Reaction Score
If Sierra had come to UConn, she most likely would be sitting on the bench most of the time, but she choose Duke and is averaging 30+ min per game and jacking up a lot of shots at a very low shooting percentage. I wonder which is better for an athlete when picking where to go to school.

Playing time, of course. The caveat, though, is playing time over the entire four years. To be brutally honest, it will be a total upset if all five freshmen (I'm including Natalie Butler) play their entire careers at UConn. Talented players need to be in programs where they play. Historically, that is what has happened at UConn and most likely every other major program.

Reaction Score

Intersting point. We shall see-- her vs Gabby-- we'll have to track.

Stokes has been on the bench for most her career. How many senior wcbb players do you think she has surpassed at this point from a pf/c perspective in terms of all the seniors at her psotion that have gotten more mintues than her? What percentile do you think she is in? Where would you project her in the draft?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I think Kiah Stokes goes in the first round of the draft. No WNBA team can afford to not take Kiah because of the defensive presence she presents in the paint and because of her rebounding ability. They will work on her offensive output in the "W" and she will become more assertive on offense in the "W". This of course, doesn't mean that over the remaining games leading up to the post season this year...that we won't see Kiah emerge as a scoring threat down low. With regards to who she has surpassed in her senior year...that is a moot question. It is all a matter of what team in the "W" decides that they need Kiah's skill set.

Reaction Score
I think Kiah Stokes goes in the first round of the draft. No WNBA team can afford to not take Kiah because of the defensive presence she presents in the paint and because of her rebounding ability. They will work on her offensive output in the "W" and she will become more assertive on offense in the "W". This of course, doesn't mean that over the remaining games leading up to the post season this year...that we won't see Kiah emerge as a scoring threat down low. With regards to who she has surpassed in her senior year...that is a moot question. It is all a matter of what team in the "W" decides that they need Kiah's skill set.

I agree but for different reasons I was hoping pvdoggy would answer.

Reaction Score
I agree but for different reasons I was hoping pvdoggy would answer.

I think Kiah will be drafted in the first round this year as well, may be late first round but only because it will be a weak draft for the WNBA. I don't think she will be the first non guard/wing taken though. Kiah lacks offensive instinct, something I don't think she will be able to pick up in the WNBA if she has not learned in 3+ yrs at UConn. Her defense, especially in the ND game was great.

Reaction Score
I think Kiah will be drafted in the first round this year as well, may be late first round but only because it will be a weak draft for the WNBA. I don't think she will be the first non guard/wing taken though. Kiah lacks offensive instinct, something I don't think she will be able to pick up in the WNBA if she has not learned in 3+ yrs at UConn. Her defense, especially in the ND game was great.

I wouldn't argue against your point that Stokes might not be the first post taken in the draft, but mainly because I'm not aware of many legitimate post talents there are available beyond her, Elizabeth Williams, Isabelle Harrison, Elem Ibiam and Reshanda Gray. Of those five, I would take Stokes above Williams and Ibiam, maybe Gray as well. I have nothing against Williams and would be fine with her proving me wrong this year, but I can't recall seeing a player with as much hype who basically hasn't improved at all in four years. Williams entered her career at Duke as an athlete and shot blocker and is still only that today. Not that Stokes provides a ton of offense, but her shot from 10-15 feet out and at the foul line is much better than Williams. As of today, I'd say Harrison will be the best post player in the class if she continues to progress from the early injury, with Stokes right behind her.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

My question to you is "with all this playing time, is she learning, is she improving? How is she being developed as a player?"

If a player wants to be the best that they can be, then they go to a school where they have to earn playing time.

If a player thinks that they know all they need to know and simply want playing time and twitter followers (ok that may not be fair), they go elsewhere.

Reactions: HGN

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I realize that we believe we have the best coaches in the nation, and feel that they really do develop kids to the best of their abilities, and while I disagree that just because someone gets PT during a game does not mean they are being developed, I also try to resist the notion that any kid who chooses UCONN would have been "developed better" while here.

To further expand on my first point - Natalie Butler. She's getting 0 PT in games this year, but I'm betting she's developing at least as much as anyone else on the team. For my 2nd point - Charde Houston is a perfect example of a kid who did not develop a tremendous amount while at UCONN, and there are tons of other players in the WNBA who certainly were developed at their respective colleges and are having terrific pro careers.

Does UCONN push their players harder than most? Sure. Does Geno challenge them to try to get them to grow to be better than even they thought they could? Of course. Are there coaches out there right now with kids who are juniors and seniors who aren't any better now than when they were freshmen? Yes. BUT some of that has to do with the fact that either maybe some of these kids peaked in high school, or they simply weren't as good as their ranking coming out of their senior years.

I'm not sure I have a point, per se, but I did want to add what I did to the conversation...

Reaction Score
I realize that we believe we have the best coaches in the nation, and feel that they really do develop kids to the best of their abilities, and while I disagree that just because someone gets PT during a game does not mean they are being developed, I also try to resist the notion that any kid who chooses UCONN would have been "developed better" while here.

To further expand on my first point - Natalie Butler. She's getting 0 PT in games this year, but I'm betting she's developing at least as much as anyone else on the team. For my 2nd point - Charde Houston is a perfect example of a kid who did not develop a tremendous amount while at UCONN, and there are tons of other players in the WNBA who certainly were developed at their respective colleges and are having terrific pro careers.

Does UCONN push their players harder than most? Sure. Does Geno challenge them to try to get them to grow to be better than even they thought they could? Of course. Are there coaches out there right now with kids who are juniors and seniors who aren't any better now than when they were freshmen? Yes. BUT some of that has to do with the fact that either maybe some of these kids peaked in high school, or they simply weren't as good as their ranking coming out of their senior years.

I'm not sure I have a point, per se, but I did want to add what I did to the conversation...

E- really interesting points. But I believe, more critical than any other factor in a player's development and quest for 'greatness' over 4 years in college, more important than whether they've already peaked, were overrated to begin with, or the coaching they receive (which I rank as 2nd most crucial), is what they have inside- their heart. It's a uniquely special kid who has the drive, the guts, desire, hunger, unquenchable fire- whatever the hell you want to call it- the will to be the very best they can become. Not just say they want to be the best, but put forth all that is required to get achieve it. And sustain that not for a few days or months, but year after year. No amount of great coaching or supportive parenting can create that burning in a kid. The kid has to want it and be willing to do anything and everything required to achieve that greatness. I believe very very very few kids (or adults) have that inside them. In women's basketball (UConn, that is), Diana Taurasi and Maya Moore are two such singularities. Perhaps Stewie, but we won't know that for years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Glad to see that Sierra choose wisely, I wish some one else does the same. Uconn has some of the best players in the country sitting the bench. Banks got it right in time as well.

Reaction Score
Playing time, of course. The caveat, though, is playing time over the entire four years. To be brutally honest, it will be a total upset if all five freshmen (I'm including Natalie Butler) play their entire careers at UConn. Talented players need to be in programs where they play. Historically, that is what has happened at UConn and most likely every other major program.

Aaannnd we're already down one-- Sadie Edwards. Playing time matters more to some kids than to others. To each her own.

Reaction Score
Geno has long been reluctant to start freshmen or give them tons of playing time. Even the #1 high school recruits like KML and Stewie (and #2 ranked Moriah) were non-starters for the vast majority of their games as UConn freshmen. Coach demands so much of his players. They must do things HS all-americans/top 10 recruits who scored 25 ppg in high school are generally unaccustomed to doing- playing great defense, picking/screening, giving 100% effort every practice in order to earn minutes. It presents an enormous challenge for kids who have been the top dog every game they laced 'em up. It is quite a unique situation that exists perhaps no place else in women's college basketball. Most coaches, in order to sign the top recruits, guarantee starting positions and playing time. That does not happen here. Top kids brave enough to come to UConn know all that must be earned- and that takes a special kid with an abundance of confidence, ability, toughness and perseverance- to select a university where she is going to sit on the bench for likely the first time in her basketball career. The payoff? Learning from the best, becoming the best player you can be, winning National Championships.

Reaction Score
Geno has long been reluctant to start freshmen or give them tons of playing time. Even the #1 high school recruits like KML and Stewie (and #2 ranked Moriah) were non-starters for the vast majority of their games as UConn freshmen. Coach demands so much of his players. They must do things HS all-americans/top 10 recruits who scored 25 ppg in high school are generally unaccustomed to doing- playing great defense, picking/screening, giving 100% effort every practice in order to earn minutes. It presents an enormous challenge for kids who have been the top dog every game they laced 'em up. It is quite a unique situation that exists perhaps no place else in women's college basketball. Most coaches, in order to sign the top recruits, guarantee starting positions and playing time. That does not happen here. Top kids brave enough to come to UConn know all that must be earned- and that takes a special kid with an abundance of confidence, ability, toughness and perseverance- to select a university where she is going to sit on the bench for likely the first time in her basketball career. The payoff? Learning from the best, becoming the best player you can be, winning National Championships.

Similarly this happens at top academic school every year. Kids who think they are in the top 2% of their high school class academically show up at a school like MIT, CalTech, or Princeton and get a harsh doze of reality that may be they are not that special :)

Reaction Score
Practice and sitting on the bench for two/three/four years might be fine for a few student athletes but if you seriously want to get better at hoops and love the sport, nothing beats game time experience ... NOTHING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom