Sid Vicious | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sid Vicious

Reaction Score
It looked like Sid played the Stanley Robinson role last game. Brought a lot of energy with some put back dunks, rebounds, midrange jumpers and a block. We'll need to get a bit more out of him but I think it's a great start.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I get where you are coming from. We seem to get four stars as of late who don't materialize initially, like you would expect. Recent 4* recruits include V. Jackson, Enoch, Roscoe Smith, DeAndre (yes Deandre), Purvis, Durham, Facey. Sure we have five stars as well, like Drummond. Not sure whether Phil or Polley were four stars but if so, add those guys to this seemingly endless list of UConn 4*s who don't make an impact, initially. Those on the list above went on to eventually make big impacts on the court, excluding Durham to some degree.
Partially agree except for Roscoe. He came in as a potential 3 and was asked to take on the roll of a 4. For a guy who was kind of lanky he could really rebound. When he went to UNLV his nickname was "the rebound machine" Still remember him down the stretch going up over guys for boards with a black eye on the way to a NC. Epitome of Uconn grit when the clutch time came.

Reaction Score
Sid Wilson is going to have a good season. What we were all looking for last year is going to happen this year. It has taken Sid a minute to find his footing at the college level. He is much more confident this year and has found his role on this team, and his game along with it. Sid is a slasher, that's really his game. Most of his points will come in the paint and the midrange with a variety of drives and pullups. Being aggressive with his athleticism, skillset, and height will get him points, rebounds, and as his defense gets tighter and tougher his minutes will continue to increase.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
At least we are getting to the point where players like Adams, Wilson and soon, Bouknight are the bench depth rather than options 2-4 on offense.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Partially agree except for Roscoe. He came in as a potential 3 and was asked to take on the roll of a 4. For a guy who was kind of lanky he could really rebound. When he went to UNLV his nickname was "the rebound machine" Still remember him down the stretch going up over guys for boards with a black eye on the way to a NC. Epitome of Uconn grit when the clutch time came.

Roscoe technically came in as a 3, but all you had to do was watch him play for five minutes to see that he was a 4. He had very limited handle and foot speed.

Reaction Score

Roscoe was the guy who proves to you intelligence, hard work and passion to rebound means more than strength. He wasn't weak by any means nor was he ever a monster in any way and was undersized for the most part. Yet even as a skinny, lanky freshman he went and got it, it meant something to him to rebound the basketball. Wish more kids had his passion to get that work done on the court. Timing and reading the misses as well as getting a body on someone helped him be a really good rebounder,(especially UNLV) for his size. Would like Tyler, Sid and Akok to get there and I think Springs may be that guy down the road as he's said all the right things. But for now we need to rebound the ball a lot better than the other night so others need to get their "Roscoe" going.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Just stop the recording before the, "No future" refrain.
We need this kid. If only so that they can crank up "Anarchy in the U.K." when he's set to enter the game.
Or, in the alternative...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I get where you are coming from. We seem to get four stars as of late who don't materialize initially, like you would expect. Recent 4* recruits include V. Jackson, Enoch, Roscoe Smith, DeAndre (yes Deandre), Purvis, Durham, Facey. Sure we have five stars as well, like Drummond. Not sure whether Phil or Polley were four stars but if so, add those guys to this seemingly endless list of UConn 4*s who don't make an impact, initially. Those on the list above went on to eventually make big impacts on the court, excluding Durham to some degree.

Polley was a 3 star. So were Carlton and Whaley. Purvis was a transfer from NC State. Who the hell is Phil? Phil Gamble was a long time ago.

I think the problem is that people think a top 100 4 star should start and be really good on day one. Very few of them are, at UConn or anywhere else. That's especially true when you recruit strong athletes who have more upside. There will always be low ceiling athletes who have a much higher initial skill level and higher BBIQ. They may be more impactful as freshmen, but won't be as good a couple of years later. It's especially true of bigs.

Reaction Score
Polley was a 3 star. So were Carlton and Whaley. Purvis was a transfer from NC State. Who the hell is Phil? Phil Gamble was a long time ago.

I think the problem is that people think a top 100 4 star should start and be really good on day one. Very few of them are, at UConn or anywhere else. That's especially true when you recruit strong athletes who have more upside. There will always be low ceiling athletes who have a much higher initial skill level and higher BBQ. They may be more impactful as freshmen, but won't be as good a couple of years later. It's especially true of bigs.

I believe he is referring to Phil Nolan

Reaction Score
As long as a Hurley makes it clear that at this point in his career the 3 is not part of Sid’s game yet. I know they all want to shoot it but if he’s at 25% or so then no, and Hurley needs to tell him so. It’s not a popular thing to tell players what they shouldn’t do. That could change in the future if Sid shows capability.

Reaction Score
Sid and BAdams on the bench
ea43fab19e0248aedd4afe7df5e466bb.gif
If only

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

I think the problem is that people think a top 100 4 star should start and be really good on day one. Very few of them are, at UConn or anywhere else. That's especially true when you recruit strong athletes who have more upside. There will always be low ceiling athletes who have a much higher initial skill level and higher BBQ. They may be more impactful as freshmen, but won't be as good a couple of years later. It's especially true of bigs.
Phil Nolan.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
My point exactly. These guys all eventually developed into good players. Enoch went for 17 and 14 last night.

Reaction Score
My point exactly. These guys all eventually developed into good players. Enoch went for 17 and 14 last night.
Enoch always had talent that KO did not develop or give opportunity to. My fingers went hoarse on the yard pleading his case to no avail.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom