Sid suspended | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sid suspended

Reaction Score
This is his third strike right? There was the first one under Ollie, the second which led to the long suspension last year, and now this?

Really unfortunate. I had already kind of written him off as a meaningful contributor for this year and maybe next too. If he couldn't get PT with our line-up situation as it stands right now, the prospects moving forward seemed bleak.

Dude is a highlight machine though, and always seemed like a likeable kid. Hope he puts it all together one day..

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
we're winning the aac tourney with 7 guys. thats all you need. cant turn down an auto bid.
I like your style. That's probably less of a stretch than the dream season was at the time.

Reaction Score
I have been rooting for Sidney Wilson, hoping that he would put in that extra level of effort, fly right, and stay on Hurley's good side. He was right on the cusp of it before he injured his knee. I really hope this situation works itself out, for Sid, for all his brothers on the team, and for the UConn program as a whole.

Blessings Sid, I hope you set this right.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If Sid isn’t back I just say shut it down. This season has been exactly what Hurley wanted for year 2. Don’t risk anything.
Good thing for CV and AG it isn't up to you
A UConn player and non casual fan never says give up or die
And to think all those folks who said that this kind of stuff would end with KO out and the DH coming in.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
And to think all those folks who said that this kind of stuff would end with KO out and the DH coming in.

"These are things you deal with as you try to build a great organization "

Reaction Score
Temi working on that baseline jumper

FWIW I got to the UCF game really early. Thought there’d be more traffic heading into Hartford. So I watched most of their pregame warmups

Anyways, point is that Temi shot better during pregame than our starters. Kid can flat out shoot.

Also, as an aside I can confirm that much dynamic stretching went on during pregame.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
All in or get out. Like Hurley said, if AG or Sid can't find minutes on an 8-man team, it ain't happening. Sid couldn't figure it out or didn't have his own system in place to show that he wanted to make an effort, or so it seems.

Kills our chances at making an AAC tournament run, so for a fan this is just another season down the tubes even before it ends.
A bit premature. The team has been playing very well with very little positive (i.e., none) input from Sid. here is how it goes, we finish 1 and 1 in the regular season and 2 and 1 in the AAC. Then its on to the NIT where we win 3 games. Then we come back next year with Polly, Akok, Jackson, Javonte Brown Ferguson and the masked singer to win 25 games, make the BE championship round and then make noise in the NCAA.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
All this talk about shutting down the season and turning down postseason tourney bids because we’re down to 7 scholarship players is re-god-damn-diculous.

Seriously, people?

I fundamentally agree.

I shudder at the thought of what that could look like if they oppose a halfway decent coach, facing 7 scholarship guys. And despite the ridiculously low odds of it happening, the way things have been going and the unbelievably bad luck the program's faced, I think about young fatigued guys playing minutes they aren't used to playing getting hurt.

I'm the farthest thing from a D-1 BB coach, but if the opportunity is there, how can you deny them the opportunity?

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I have found that is very difficult to get the super athletic (and Sid is super athletic) to embrace fundamentals. Almost every kid is a good kid, but there is a mindset that what I do works and I'll continue to make it work. Super athletes focus on their highlight plays and forget the 3 times their man back-doored them for an easy layup. Fundamentals and drills are no fun. They are the grind of sports. I have been incredibly frustrated this entire year watching Sid. Believing what he could be (do you remember Dr. J?) and watching a display of the worst basketball I have ever seen in a UConn uniform. His thunderous blocks usually came from behind because he couldn't keep his man in front of him. I am so sorry to see the young man go. I hope he wakes up while there is still a little sand in the hourglass. :(

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Exactly. Kinda glad the season is ending soon. Ride the positive mojo into next season. Let the injuries heal. Get back 3-4 more players. This was a huge success of a season. Now if we do get an NIT bid but Sid Wilson isn’t back, does Hurley opt out of the invite? Matt Garry is out for the season we are down to 7 Schollys and one walk on
Are you daft? Never pass up op to play more games. I enjoyed sitting in row 5 behind our bench in an NIT game many years ago
Remember Hurley's post game press conference a few games ago where Hurley was going through the box score and praising most of the players about how they've improved and are good building blocks for next year? Didn't mention Sid or Alterique even after scanning the box score again and saying something like, "Yeah, that's everyone." (something like that). You could tell from that there was something going on.

It's disappointing. For Sid and for the team.
For Sid yes but the Team will get over it

Reaction Score
His 2nd suspension, I believe?

Hurley’s references to Sid have been less than glowing recently, so I wonder if this has been building for a while or due to a recent occurrence. Disappointing that he just has never figured out a way to build on his insane athleticism. I would imagine his future here is very much in doubt

I totally agree. Sid is the type of player that will drive a coach like Dan Hurley absolutely crazy. He has athletic gifts that not many have. Despite these gifts, he frustrates the coaching staff by lack of effort and then the habitual violation of team rules. After the USF game, Hurley actually stated that Sid wasn't to be of much use to them due to the way he was playing. This has been coming.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom