Sid is a freak | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sid is a freak

Reaction Score
His timing is really good. some of his blocks looked more impressive but his best block was the one he defended his guy from the foul line to the basket and just moved his feet and timed the block when his guy went up for the 3-4 footer, great skill there. He's getting a little more comfy and that's a real good thing. Kids a freak athlete with huge potential.

Reaction Score
That's very funny. After you posted this, I got a notification that you are "now following" me. Maybe you can tell me how that works.

When you drive away from home check your rearview mirror, that's how that works.:eek:

Reaction Score
Not to nitpick but Sid ain't no freak. Kwitin could be called that. Sid if he develops (as he should) could be another Jeremy Lamb or better. His potential is greater than any player we have, you can see it. I would hope though that when Jalen goes he can move to the 3 spot. I really see him becoming an outstanding small forward at 6'7. However he may be left at PF with Hurley's love for small ball. He's got the equipment and skills, will be fun to watch him over the years.

Reaction Score
He needs an off-season to change his shot. His form is making the shot so flat he wont.ever shoot very well.

Hustle plays, defense, dunks and layups can be his bread and butter right now.

Take a shot when husky249 mentions shooting form.

In all seriousness, you are probably right.

Reaction Score
Take a shot when husky249 mentions shooting form.

In all seriousness, you are probably right.

I was a shooting coach for some time. My mind goes to shooting ability immediately if I'm watching the game carefully. I just can't see how so many kids who are likely to be playing a *boneyard censored word* game for a living can't manage to learn this basic stuff in a decade of competitive basketball since they were kids. No reason every guy on the court shouldn't be a able to knockdown FTs and elbow jumpers at a decent clip.

Bad coaching, no off-season in aau, blah blah. It's ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

Reaction Score
Hurley said it best in his post-game presser. Sid isn't necessarily a shooter, a distributor, a slasher, or a post player.....he's just an ATHLETE.

He's going to end up being such a valuable glue-man and positionless player for the team moving forward, especially with Yakwe and Diarra out.

Reaction Score
Not to nitpick but Sid ain't no freak. Kwitin could be called that. Sid if he develops (as he should) could be another Jeremy Lamb or better. His potential is greater than any player we have, you can see it. I would hope though that when Jalen goes he can move to the 3 spot. I really see him becoming an outstanding small forward at 6'7. However he may be left at PF with Hurley's love for small ball. He's got the equipment and skills, will be fun to watch him over the years.
No argument on the athleticism but Lamb came and left UCONN a very good shooter. Can Sid be that? My eyeballs say no but any improvement is good. This concept that they're going to become great shooters over the summer has not held water, even though I love what Gilbert has done so far.

Reaction Score
Sid is a better athlete than Kwintin.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed at the game last night was Sid’s blocks keep the ball in play and started some transition offense.. That along with his timing and ability to jump out of the gym equates to one hell of a defender for us down the road.

Reaction Score
Kwintin has a better vertical. But Sid is amazingly quick. He reacts to his man leaving the ground as quickly as anyone who has played here. And he rarely join the paratrooper club. He doesn't go up on the head fake. His man goes than Sid explodes.

So IMHO, they are both freaks but in different ways.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed at the game last night was Sid’s blocks keep the ball in play and started some transition offense.. That along with his timing and ability to jump out of the gym equates to one hell of a defender for us down the road.
To some extent I think that was just chance based on where he was (one or two he was swatting the ball into the backboard). On at least one of the blocks he swatted it well out of play.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Kwintin? The guy isn't even quick. He just does one thing. Sid's a better overall athlete.
I agree he needs to prepare to play the 3, and work hard on his shooting and ball handling. That's his position. In the NBA he's a shooting guard at his size. Needs to get stronger too.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Hurley loves small ball. He plays the guys he has. Last year at URI he only had small guys. If he had any decent bigs here, they'd be playing, and Sid and Polley would be at the 3. Does anyone seriously believe that if we had Jeff Adrien he wouldn't be starting at the 4 spot? Diarra would too if he could play.

Akok will start at PF next season. End of story. CV will move back to SG with Boughknight. Sid, Polley and B Adams will fight for minutes at the 3.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
His timing is really good. some of his blocks looked more impressive but his best block was the one he defended his guy from the foul line to the basket and just moved his feet and timed the block when his guy went up for the 3-4 footer, great skill there. He's getting a little more comfy and that's a real good thing. Kids a freak athlete with huge potential.
Good catch, and you're right, great timing. Syd is an extremely quick jumper. That block was on Foster, who is a pretty good player himself.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Sid's game reminds me of Stanley Robinson. He's a little smaller and not quite as explosive, but I love his intensity and think he can put together a similar career here.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
y'all seriously confoosed. mr. Wilson is a talented young man and imma big fan, but freak? ah, no. this is the definition of a ballin' freak. (check out comments "he blocked it with his elbow," and 'magic Johnson.')

Reaction Score
Kwintin has a better vertical. But Sid is amazingly quick. He reacts to his man leaving the ground as quickly as anyone who has played here. And he rarely join the paratrooper club. He doesn't go up on the head fake. His man goes than Sid explodes.

So IMHO, they are both freaks but in different ways.
"paratrooper club" is a great line, LOL

Reaction Score
Sid’s standing very is way more impressive than Kwintins. Kwintin is really only an impressive athlete in an empty gym

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
When you drive away from home check your rearview mirror, that's how that works.:eek:
Hmm. Posts deleted.
Do I have to now look under my car before I start it?
Or maybe I'm being Ignored now instead of Followed.

Reaction Score
Sid is a better athlete than Kwintin.
I could be showing my age. An athletic freak was someone who basically did one thing freakishly good. Like a high rise dunker. Which was why I used Kwintin as the example. There are many players who play better and jump higher than Kwintin, but they would not be called a freak. I don't recall Jordan being called a freak or Dominique. My point was Sid seems to be much more than that.

I could have said it better, but a freak is sort of an insult in the basketball sense or too restrictive of talent.

Here's a freak back in the day:

Reaction Score
After UCF and USF I posted that I wasn't sold on him...last night gave me some hope for sure

Reaction Score
I could be showing my age. An athletic freak was someone who basically did one thing freakishly good. Like a high rise dunker. Which was why I used Kwintin as the example. There are many players who play better and jump higher than Kwintin, but they would not be called a freak. I don't recall Jordan being called a freak or Dominique. My point was Sid seems to be much more than that.

I could have said it better, but a freak is sort of an insult in the basketball sense or too restrictive of talent.

Here's a freak back in the day:

Weird, I consider it about the highest compliment you can give an athlete. Bo Jackson was a freak, Zion is a freak, Lebron is a freak, Giannis is the Greek freak.

Reaction Score
Sid looks like he's playing on instinct right now. Gonna be fun to watch once he gets in the flow of a gameplan.
What he needed was some playing time against the bulk of the scrubby teams. He missed 4 of those, and then didn't get a lot of burn in the first game back as he was reintegrating into game play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom