Sick of the No Talent Talk | The Boneyard

Sick of the No Talent Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Outside of our offensive line, who, if healthy, would be fine and is improving every week, where exactly do we lack talent?

WR corp is one of best in nation.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't go as far as saying our wr corps is one of the best in the country, but they are improving considerably. All day I wondered how we would of done last night if Shak played last night. I'm really happy with our defense in terms of the effort they gave last night. We need a top notch pass rusher and a few d-lineman to rotate in as Mich did last night so that we are not gassed in the 4 th qtr. we def need some speed at the LB pos, as we had no one who could spy Gardner last night to prevent him from leaving the pocket. The loss of Griffin is huge, so a TE would help our receivers get open more frequently. A running back and some olineman would help as well. Other than that, I think we're fine!

Reaction Score
Outside of our offensive line, who, if healthy, would be fine and is improving every week, where exactly do we lack talent?

TE, OL, QB, RB. Essentially the entire offense. The WR is not one of the best in the nation, but is not even close to being as bad as the rest of the offense. That is not to say the young guys will improve in the coming years. But it is evident, from missed blocks, dropped passes, horrible throws, and poor running that this offense has earned it's sub par rankings.

The defense does not lack talent, and I think just needed some time to gel. Young players and new starters are appearing to get more comfortable.

Reaction Score

Are you on drugs ??

Reaction Score
Are you on drugs ??

Which part do you take offense to? When both of our guys on the outside are legit NFL prospects that will MOST LIKELY be drafted in next years draft, I think that merits 'one of the best in the country.'

Reaction Score
I think we need to give kudos to the secondary last night. Those improvised runs by 98 weren't because of happy feet. You could see him go through his progressions on several occasions before he took off.

He's not a great thrower but at least our coverage didn't give him anything easy. Didn't hurt that Hank (cough, cough PP) blitzed on occasion. Our defense had 10 TFL's last night. I'm thinking if that number was 12 we may have won the game. A lot to ask...10 is awesome.

I wonder if Mack gets a little extended recovery due to the effort of Williams last night.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think we need to give kudos to the secondary last night. Those improvised runs by 98 weren't because of happy feet. You could see him go through his progressions on several occasions before he took off.

He's not a great thrower but at least our coverage didn't give him anything easy. Didn't hurt that Hank (cough, cough PP) blitzed on occasion. Our defense had 10 TFL's last night. I'm thinking if that number was 12 we may have won the game. A lot to ask...10 is awesome.

I wonder if Mack gets a little extended recovery due to the effort of Williams last night.

I had the same feeling you had about the blitzes being PP-driven. It certainly wasn't the bend-don't-break MO that Hughes normally has (I don't mind it when it is accompanied with a running game so you aren't on the field all day, but...).

Spoiler Alert: I'm about to say something that is going to get me lynched on the BY.

It's a shame, but I think that PP would make a great assistant coach if he were in charge of the linebackers and recruiting coordinator, with someone else at the helm, and DEFINITELY someone else on the OLine Coaching. I think the man knows defense, and I think the man knows recruiting, but...uggh...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I had the same feeling you had about the blitzes being PP-driven. It certainly wasn't the bend-don't-break MO that Hughes normally has (I don't mind it when it is accompanied with a running game so you aren't on the field all day, but...).

Spoiler Alert: I'm about to say something that is going to get me lynched on the BY.

It's a shame, but I think that PP would make a great assistant coach if he were in charge of the linebackers and recruiting coordinator, with someone else at the helm, and DEFINITELY someone else on the OLine Coaching. I think the man knows defense, and I think the man knows recruiting, but...uggh...

No. I think most people here agree that PP is a smart guy who knows how to coach a unit, teach and develop players.

Everyone here agrees he's over his head coaching a live-action game. His time critical skills are where they need to be for a major college head coach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The idea that UConn has one of the best groups of receivers in the country is laughable. There are dozens of programs who have players who don't see the field who we'd drool over having.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

You want to put P in charge of recruiting? With really zero evidence on the field that recruiting has improved?

With one of the all time recruiters in Orgeron on the record saying that the problem with Pasqualoni (at Syracuse) is that his staff wasn't willing to do the work required to recruit successfully?

After head coach is there a worse job for someone late in career than recruiting coordinator?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You want to put P in charge of recruiting? With really zero evidence on the field that recruiting has improved?

With one of the all time recruiters in Orgeron on the record saying that the problem with Pasqualoni (at Syracuse) is that his staff wasn't willing to do the work required to recruit successfully?

After head coach is there a worse job for someone late in career than recruiting coordinator?

I love how you say "zero evidence", as if the recruiting sites don't all support that fact. And yeah, yeah, before you go off on "what do the recruiting sites know?", it just seems to be that four and five star recruits seem to always be at the big programs and, from a percentage standpoint, have a better chance of getting into the NFL. But again, what do they know.

Look, I get the PP hatred. I REALLY get it. But you cannot take away from him what are his recognized strengths by the outside world. And those strengths are defense and recruiting. We are landing many more 3-star recruits than we did before, even in an environment where our conference situation sucks worse than it did before. That is not by accident...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I love how you say "zero evidence", as if the recruiting sites don't all support that fact. And yeah, yeah, before you go off on "what do the recruiting sites know?", it just seems to be that four and five star recruits seem to always be at the big programs and, from a percentage standpoint, have a better chance of getting into the NFL. But again, what do they know.

Look, I get the PP hatred. I REALLY get it. But you cannot take away from him what are his recognized strengths by the outside world. And those strengths are defense and recruiting. We are landing many more 3-star recruits than we did before, even in an environment where our conference situation sucks worse than it did before. That is not by accident...

The recruiting sites back into their results. The best players go to the best schools - and therefore when they get recruited they are highly rated.

UConn is 10-17 under this regime. Maybe they are recruiting better players but if they are they can't coach them.

I do know this staff walked into a roster with a lot of NFL draft picks. So unless they start winning or P's recruits gets drafted in spite of having bad teams I stand by no evidence.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The recruiting sites back into their results. The best players go to the best schools - and therefore when they get recruited they are highly rated.

UConn is 10-17 under this regime. Maybe they are recruiting better players but if they are they can't coach them.

I do know this staff walked into a roster with a lot of NFL draft picks. So unless they start winning or P's recruits gets drafted in spite of having bad teams I stand by no evidence.

Winning and recruiting talent are not the same. They are linked, yes, but they aren't the same. And I think that most on this board and in the known universe would agree that we haven't won over the last two years because we can't run the damned ball or protect the quarterback. I know that I don't need to remind everyone of why that is.

So again, I'll go back to my original statement. PP is known for defense and for recruiting, and neither area has disappointed during his time here...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Winning and recruiting talent are not the same. They are linked, yes, but they aren't the same. And I think that most on this board and in the known universe would agree that we haven't won over the last two years because we can't run the damned ball or protect the quarterback. I know that I don't need to remind everyone of why that is.

So again, I'll go back to my original statement. PP is known for defense and for recruiting, and neither area has disappointed during his time here...

The defense hasn't disappointed at all? When Western Michigan, Iowa State and Syracuse were lighting up the scoreboard?

What good is recruiting if you never win any games? How do you take the stance it's improved while the results deteriorate.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
The defense hasn't disappointed at all? When Western Michigan, Iowa State and Syracuse were lighting up the scoreboard?

What good is recruiting if you never win any games? How do you take the stance it's improved while the results deteriorate.

Look, here's the depth chart. He's had two full recruiting classes (plus three players in 2011 that were recruited after Edsall left: Hemingway, Ashiru, and Campenni). Theoretically, the vast majority of starters should still be Edsall's guys, being Juniors and Seniors (or redshirt Sophomores). However, why don't you tell me how many of PP's guys are now in the depth chart? The words "a $#itload" come to mind.

http://connecticut. /cdepthtext.asp

That's how I take the stance that it's improved, regardless of the fact that we aren't winning as much as we used to. Younger guys are filling up the depth chart, and more importantly, many of the skill positions (all of our QBs, all of our wide receivers, KR/PR, etc.). Losing sucks. I know it sucks. But don't fight the data...

EDIT: Use this most recent depth chart, as it increases the data points with Schafenaker, Samra, Walsh, etc.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-mich-depth-cart-0921-20130917,0,5279439.story

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Look, here's the depth chart. He's had two full recruiting classes (plus three players in 2011 that were recruited after Edsall left: Hemingway, Ashiru, and Campenni). Theoretically, the vast majority of starters should still be Edsall's guys, being Juniors and Seniors (or redshirt Sophomores). However, why don't you tell me how many of PP's guys are now in the depth chart? The words "a $#itload" come to mind.

http://connecticut. /cdepthtext.asp

That's how I take the stance that it's improved, regardless of the fact that we aren't winning as much as we used to. Younger guys are filling up the depth chart, and more importantly, many of the skill positions (all of our QBs, all of our wide receivers, KR/PR, etc.). Losing sucks. I know it sucks. But don't fight the data...

EDIT: Use this most recent depth chart, as it increases the data points with Schafenaker, Samra, Walsh, etc.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-mich-depth-cart-0921-20130917,0,5279439.story

They fill up the depth chart for a team that is a 2 point favorite over Buffalo. Who needed how many overtimes to beat Stony Brook?

If they could win any games it would be a legitimate argument. Even if we grant the recruiting is improved... What does that say about their ability to coach?

Reaction Score
TE, OL, QB, RB. Essentially the entire offense. The WR is not one of the best in the nation, but is not even close to being as bad as the rest of the offense. That is not to say the young guys will improve in the coming years. But it is evident, from missed blocks, dropped passes, horrible throws, and poor running that this offense has earned it's sub par rankings.

The defense does not lack talent, and I think just needed some time to gel. Young players and new starters are appearing to get more comfortable.

Watching the game Jesse Palmer said Shakim Phillips is/was 9th in the country in receiving in a game... The touchdown catch Geremy Davis had and was called incomplete was one of the best catches by a receiver this year so far. So I personally believe the WR duo is "one" of the best in the country, maybe not "the" best, but arguably "one" of the best in the country. If you wish to argue that well have fun.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
staff, technique, emotion, game planning (why do we tend to get whipped in the 2nd half people?), and the staff staff staff staff

college sports is all about the coaches. As UConn fans, we should know those more than any other school in the country. Except for maybe the babies (read lucky young college age kids) of course

Reaction Score
The idea that UConn has one of the best groups of receivers in the country is laughable. There are dozens of programs who have players who don't see the field who we'd drool over having.

You're wrong, both Davis and Phillips have size and hands that will be highly valued in the NFL draft. At the very least both will be in NFL camps.

That makes them one of the better tandems in the country. There are not dozens of programs that have a better pair.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

You need to watch more football. UConn's WRs are vastly improved talent-wise, but they are not that great. This team has 2 remotely talented players on offense, and it is the 2 wide receivers. Otherwise, the group is FCS level.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're wrong, both Davis and Phillips have size and hands that will be highly valued in the NFL draft. At the very least both will be in NFL camps.

That makes them one of the better tandems in the country. There are not dozens of programs that have a better pair.

Okey dokey buddy. They are good players, but if you don't think dozens of programs currently have two receivers that will be in NFL camps... plenty have more than 2.

USC, Florida State, Clemson, Georgia, Oklahoma State... even schools like Maryland are light years ahead.

For example - Sammy Watkins plus anyone > UConn.

They are good players and probably the best combo UConn has had, but let's be real.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
What kills me... what absolutely kills me is you've got Sean McDonough saying UConn lost a large number of players to the NFL draft... and then not 10 minutes later he trots out the line that that RE left when the leaving was good and that PP inherited no talent. It KILLS me that they don't see the contradiction there... it absolute makes zero sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom