Sick and Tired of "Tired" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sick and Tired of "Tired"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry 18 to 22 year olds should not get tired. I dont think you would hear this hardly at all on the mens board. Sometimes they are treated like girls alittle to much here instead of basketball players.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sorry 18 to 22 year olds should not get tired. I dont think you would hear this hardly at all on the mens board. Sometimes they are treated like girls alittle to much here instead of basketball players.
I have two sons, one is 19 and the other is 22. Yeah, a lot of physical exercise can make them tired and no one is pushing, grabbing, or holding them while they're working.

Reaction Score
I agree. I think a lot of "older" fans have to try and remember back to the days when they were 18 or 19 years old. Even in high school, there was practice or a game every day. There were exams to take also. Thinking back, I never remember a player saying he or she was "tired."
I will say, though, that the long road trips could take some energy away from the players of today.

yes Monte I remember being 15 or 18 and those 20 mile hikes with full packs---those old guys of 22 or more --lots of them fell by the way side---i made the 20 miles and back--I can assure you I was "fatigued"/tired/exhausted. The human body isn't a machine at any age.
Some--repeat some--kids have better stamina--that's true--but even they feel "fatigue".

I have two sons, one is 19 and the other is 22. Yeah, a lot of physical exercise can make them tired and no one is pushing, grabbing, or holding them while they're working.

Reaction Score
Are they high level Division 1 college basketball players or any type of athlete if they're not what does your son have anything to do with this I stand by what I said above do basketball players have been training for this for half of their life at least being tired at their age is a sorry excuse

Reaction Score
Really? LOL.

Reaction Score
I also think 'tired' gets mixed up with coaching strategy. Geno with a sizable lead goes to a 'use 25 seconds of clock' offensive system in a lot of games and while it limits the fourth quarter offensive sets for the opponent and insures a win, can also lead to a lower energy feel to Uconn's play - they typically stand for the first 10-15 seconds of half court offense before cranking it into gear again - something that isn't all that easy on the players. Those ten seconds standing and watching a player dribble near mid-court allows the players to actually feel the bumps and bruises sustained during the first 30 minutes and they may notice some muscle fatigue as well. So they too may actually begin feeling a little tired when if they were running offense at their usual pace, they wouldn't notice at all.

I do think tired can come into the equation - they played 11 games in 37 days with what were I am sure hard practice on most non-game days. Throw in exams and being challenged every day by a hard driving coaching staff and an impressively tough OOC and a few days home with friends and family and no basketball will be a welcome chance to completely relax. In years past we always expected a team malaise striking early in February for the same reason - the season can seem awfully long during the second 'half' after Christmas - call it tired or complacent, or doldrums, or whatever - it does seem to be real, and Geno himself used the 'tired' qualifier in I think the last two press conferences - time for a little recharge.
You nailed it. Having watched every game this year, most of the Q4 "slump" has appeared to be Geno using the clock. Also feel that some players have been pounded more than others-again your comments about bruises spot on. Muscles cramp up based on wear and tear for 18 year olds as well. Regarding some of the comments about treating them like girls, unfortunately its been proven that young women have more MCL and related tears than young men.

Reaction Score
We are a pattern seeking species. In the absence of facts, to many, conspiracy theories are preferable to no theories at all.
We look for explanations, no matter whether they apply to the situation or not.
Are you conspiring to find a theory that is not applicable to this non issue?????

Reaction Score
If these mistakes and missed shooting are from tiredness than UConn may be in some trouble. When it gets deeper in NCAA the starters are going to have log 35+ minutes each and then play again with 1 day of in the Th/Sat and Fri/Su format. The problems could arise in the 2nd game. It could be key for UConn to try to put teams away as early as possible in the 1st game and then able to rest the starters. Personally I don't necessarily by the tired excuse mote than just this team just gets lackadaisical for stretches.

Reaction Score
The players themselves have said they have been tired at times. Lou said it after the Ohio State game earlier this week (but she didn't mind after what happened to her last year in the semi-final). Geno also has noted it on occasion especially throughout this month. I really don't get the debate here. It's not like we have to speculate when they straight up tell us during their post-game press conferences. Are they all lying while us fans watching on TV know better simply because we think 18-22 year olds aren't supposed to get tired? By the way, for those saying this never, never, ever happens in the men's game are full of you know what. I've heard it many times from MCBB players after a hard fought game.

Reaction Score
Ah, yes, we have all seemed to forget that the team is comprised of machines with no other responsibilities than 40 minutes of game play on game days. :rolleyes: How could they possibly be tired when that is the case?

Come on. They've told us themselves that they've been tired - whether they mind that or not is unknown until someone polls the entire team, though I would assume that they are more than happy to continue doing what they do. That doesn't negate the fact that they're tired. They are college students above all else: finals have been an issue since a little before the Notre Dame game, as Gabby took two the day after which implies that they were likely studying ahead of time, and being a college student isn't exactly a walk in the park. Combine that with the game workload (it's not like they've been sitting around like never before during the month of December!), the physicality of these games, and the fact that some of those girls are logging more minutes than they ever did before (KLS and Kia were consistently logging 38-40 minutes over a stretch of 3 or 4 games, and I cannot recall a time other than this over the course of their careers at UConn where they've had to do that), and you can see why that might be a recipe for some tiredness. They're human beings - humans get tired regardless of age.

And they're girls. Seriously, what does "they are treated like girls a little too much here instead of basketball players" even mean? They're girls.

I'm not here to debate whether or not it's being excessively used as an excuse, but all things aside: they're human. They get tired. It's normal.

Reaction Score
If these mistakes and missed shooting are from tiredness than UConn may be in some trouble. When it gets deeper in NCAA the starters are going to have log 35+ minutes each and then play again with 1 day of in the Th/Sat and Fri/Su format. The problems could arise in the 2nd game. It could be key for UConn to try to put teams away as early as possible in the 1st game and then able to rest the starters. Personally I don't necessarily by the tired excuse mote than just this team just gets lackadaisical for stretches.

If that is true---tell Geno to cancel all future game and tell him please, please please---don't play in the NCAA;s!!!
Apparently the TIRED remarks came from GENO and since we drink his kool aid way too often--we believe him. But there is some historic evidence this is true---Almost every year about this time after playing OOC game --Uconn Women feel the pressure, the travel, the game time--even with Stew, Tuck, Moriah. Go back and read Geno's remarks in most years about Mid to late Dec.
Apparently we, Geno/Uconn fans are sheep and follow the leader--Geno!!

Reaction Score
I AM TIRED OF THE TIRED THREAD!!!!! A COMPLETELY CIRCULAR ARGUMENT THAT BELONGS IN THE CIRCULAR
DEPOSITORY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog