SI: Which Coach Will Be on Hot Seat Midseason - Randy | The Boneyard

SI: Which Coach Will Be on Hot Seat Midseason - Randy

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I find it interesting that we are on the radar on a national publication. Even if it is the negative reason, the fact that we are relevant enough to mention in conversations that seem centered on P5 impacts means something. Just not sure what.

Reaction Score
If this year is another historical disaster and there is no sign of success happening by 2021 (when RE 2.0s first recruiting class will be redshirt seniors), I can see letting him go this December. However, I think we will show signs of life this year, even if it likely won't mean a winning season. That would mean wins and losses will be important to how hot his seat is next year in 2020.

Having said all that, I predict 4 wins this year.

Reaction Score
My view ...

Unless we look absolutely inept - which I grant you 2018 had that - HCRE got himself at least another 3 years by UCONN going Big East. A good solid coach in turbulence. We aren’t going to want to quick mark to market - like we would if we were connected continuously to the AAC.

Reaction Score
5 votes for Helton @ USC and 1 vote for Randy. That’s just a cry for attention from Shapiro!

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that we are on the radar on a national publication. Even if it is the negative reason, the fact that we are relevant enough to mention in conversations that seem centered on P5 impacts means something. Just not sure what.

Agency Problem

No National sportswriter wants to tag a guy they may need - particularly in P5 conferences. Let’s ding that UCONN independent coach.

Rutgers guy went 1-11. He’s totally turned over coaches. And brought in a chunk of new Roster. That guy is in far greater danger. The UCONN powers that be ... want to transition into a good place in this conference switch. They have zero capital to make a change. Really.

Reaction Score
Loads of NFL players come from "G5" schools. The Arizona Cardinals are big on a UMass WR they drafted.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol who would they hire to replace him? The school can’t afford to pay attention right now.
As I occasionally point out to another poster, UConn is $4B entity with @$385M in cash and cash equivalents the last I looked (and probably more now.) They can "afford" to hire anyone, they aren't looking in the couch cushions to meeting payroll.

Reaction Score
As I occasionally point out to another poster, UConn is $4B entity with @$385M in cash and cash equivalents the last I looked (and probably more now.) They can "afford" to hire anyone, they aren't looking in the couch cushions to meeting payroll.

I have enough cash on hand to take a month long vacation in Hawaii.

Doesn’t mean I can or should do it.

You don’t think the school is hurting financially? Lol.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
lol uconn can afford to hire anyone so they hired edsall at 1 million and two coordinators they promoted 4 levels for peanuts.

you really cant make up the stuff people post here

Reaction Score
At 2 wins this year, which I view as MOST likely, his job is in peril but will likely be saved because UConn is devoting all its resources to BB. At one win, I would think that he is gone. Three wins and he is skating on thin ice but gets another year. 4+ wins and he goes the distance of his contract. And as I have said before, although I feel that 2 wins is most likely, it could easily be more depending how things shake out.

Reaction Score
Edsall isn't going anywhere - unless he quits. Zero wins, one win, two wins - it doesn't matter. UConn could not find a better replacement. The looming Glow Cloud of independence means he stays no matter what.

One other thing. By way of analogy, Amtrak is trying to terminate dining service on its long distance routes. They aren't doing it to save money. They are doing it to kill demand for the routes so they can be shut down. If I was an underhanded administration that wanted to kill football sort of subtle-like (well, OK, with at least with a smidgeon of a shred of credible deniability), underpaying the coaching staff (by a lot) is a good way to do it. If I was a cynic, I would think that is what is really going on.

All Hail the Glow Cloud.

Reaction Score
At 2 wins this year, which I view as MOST likely, his job is in peril but will likely be saved because UConn is devoting all its resources to BB. At one win, I would think that he is gone. Three wins and he is skating on thin ice but gets another year. 4+ wins and he goes the distance of his contract. And as I have said before, although I feel that 2 wins is most likely, it could easily be more depending how things shake out.
The most insightful comment yet. If they don’t care (which they don’t), Randy is fine. The only thing keeping this program afloat will be if RE manages to will it forward, because nobody in Storrs wants it to succeed and it fits their plan... dumping it without taking blame for doing it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have enough cash on hand to take a month long vacation in Hawaii.

Doesn’t mean I can or should do it.

You don’t think the school is hurting financially? Lol.
Lol, $385M cash and cash equivalents is a heck of a long Hawain vacation my friend. But I agree just because you have the cash doesn't mean you should waste it. That is exactly why UConn didn't pay KO money that he isn't owed under the contract.

TL;DR - The whole "UConn can't afford to pay KO's salary" was wrong and made by people who are woefully uniformed about the university's finances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh I’d happily do it for it half the price
I wouldn't. Get real. Has to be one of the most thankless jobs on the universe and you are working 16 hour days with a ton of travel for large parts of the year. Even traveling in business class and staying in four and five star hotels as HC. Have you ever seen Geno on a flight? It has put years and years on his face. You wonder how they do it.

Reaction Score
It is a rough job and the travel would suck. However, I can’t imagine a job I’d have more passion for than coaching or being the AD at UConn. Plenty of people travel all week just to sell stuff.

Reaction Score
No way! Let the man make an attempt to rebuild. It Takes TIMEEEE!

Reaction Score
Lol who would they hire to replace him? The school can’t afford to pay attention right now.
Such nonsense. There are fewer than 130 D1 A head coaching jobs. And in a good year maybe 15 open jobs. Finding someone won’t be an issue.

AD Dave, despite what people here think took over a total disaster from Warde. Let’s look at Wardes tenure.
1. Lost the ACC gig
2 Hired the worst head coach in college football
3 lacked the guts to tell Calhoun that Ollie wasn’t getting the head coaching job
4. Started a hockey program for which there was zero call and zero plan for the required facilities. I’m a huge fan but nobody was screaming for a HEA program. In fact the hoops folks continue to view it wit suspicion.

Dave has been dealing with all. He hired Edsall with a five year plan to turn 5he ship around We are in year 3 so there should be progress. But Randy won’t be on any hot seat for at least another year. Dave knew the disaster that was Bob Diaco.

As for the attractiveness of the job. We will likely land a coordinator from somewhere. If Edsall succeeds in getting us back to competitive it’s possible one of the current staff. If that guy succeeds, 10-2, 9-3 type years he will find himself coaching at UNC or Maryland or somewhere in a couple of years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom