SI: USA doesn't have a guaranteed win | The Boneyard

SI: USA doesn't have a guaranteed win

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The funny thing is that indeed, that is the headline, but the content of he article is basically, "it would take a perfect storm of nearly inconceivable circumstances for Team USA to lose to this solid, plucky French team." Nice write up though, and good quotes from Geno and Sue.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Should be a great game, count me in as one of the nervous ones (feel the same way with the guys).
I'm sure Geno used his practice time well; that'a a big advantage.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
France has won some games by small margins, but they are well coached and talented. Dumerc is really good. They will be tough, at least for a while.

We need at least our B+ game. This is the last game for this group of 12, so let's make it a spectacular performance! Go USA!

JS

Reaction Score
The funny thing is that indeed, that is the headline, but the content of he article is basically, "it would take a perfect storm"
As the French player put it: "We have to play the perfect game in defense and offense to have a chance."

A bit different from the headline under Latest News at the right side of the page: "U.S. women far from a lock in gold game."

Probably a mistranslation of the French coach's statement: "Nous allons perdre. Nous n'avons aucun espoir. Nous allons être détruits."

Reaction Score
I will take the politically correct path and say "well, duh, that is why they PLAY the game". As a fan of USA basketball, my opinion is slightly more confident. ;)

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
The French must play an especially scary brand of basketball, judging from this quote:

"... the French have eeked out many of their wins ..."

LOL!!
Ah, oui, but of course... zees time... how you say...

"Eeeeking? Assurement!!! .... Winning?? Impossible!!!"
Scream Simpsons.jpg

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how many open looks we let Dumerc get from behind the arc...where's Kelly Faris when you need her!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As the French player put it: "We have to play the perfect game in defense and offense to have a chance."

A bit different from the headline under Latest News at the right side of the page: "U.S. women far from a lock in gold game."

Probably a mistranslation of the French coach's statement: "Nous allons perdre. Nous n'avons aucun espoir. Nous allons être détruits."
Man, you are testing my French lessons from 40 years ago. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
in a way I think you can throw out the previous games. On paper, based on the way games were played, no way should Australia have been up by 4 at the half. given the common opponents team USA has played vs. team France, it shouldn't be close either. USA beat Australia by 13, France beat them by 4 in OT. USA beat the Czech's by 27, France by 3. USA beat Canada by 43, France by 4.

Also, i think the US matchup is better in the front court than it was vs. Australia. Cambage at 6'7", Batcovic at 6'5" and Jackson at 6'4" posed size problems for the US that we didn't figure out till the 2nd half. France's front court is smaller.

JS

Reaction Score
Man, you are testing my French lessons from 40 years ago. :)
Just suggesting "U.S. women far from a lock in gold game" might be a mistranslation of the French coach's statement:

"We're going to lose. We have no hope. We're going to get destroyed."

I admit the translator strayed a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member