SI planning a story on Geno and Muffet? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

SI planning a story on Geno and Muffet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
For some reason BT comes to mind, kinda wrong place, wrong time. Not sure though. Also CD the Younger, got in trouble a couple years back for a Halloween prank. Typical college kid stuff.

Yeah, it happens more often than you think. As someone said above, the program handles is very well though. I was present for a mildly racy incident a number of years ago by two of the team's superstars. It was all in good fun, but jibed with many yard posters' 'perfect angel' viewpoint.

JS

Reaction Score
I'd say that a grown man, entrusted by parents and a public institution to develop young women, berating one of his kids until she cries, is far worse than a kid pointing a finger in a coaches chest or a coach making up stuff about another coach. Public or in house doesn't really matter.
Disagree with just about all of this. Don't know why you're going to a whose bad thing is worse than whose analysis (the original point by UCMiami was that all coaches make mistakes), but since it's on the table:

1. "Grown man" is just a swipe. The players aren't toddlers. They're grown women. You're verging on calling him a child molester.

2. He lays into people who are screwing up. He's done it a thousand times without taking it too far. He's not Mike Rice or Bobby Knight. (Were they called "grown men" in contrast to their players, BTW? Or just serially abusive coaches?)

3. He took it too far on that particular occasion, in that time and place and situation, and got a counterproductive result -- a misjudgment he's admitted. Sue would defend him to the grave.

4. A kid pointing (or was it poking) at a coach's chest doesn't bother me all that much -- out of line, but no real harm done. It bothered the RU staff a lot, though, given the state of the program's PR on behavioral issues at the time, and that's what led to the rest.

5. A coach making up stuff about another coach -- including inflammatory innuendo -- and publicly stating it in order to cover her own program's butt is reprehensible. It's smearing a fellow professional, and it's bearing false witness if you want to get Biblical about it.

6. Of course public or in-house matters. Public events, on live TV, were the whole problem in Cappiegate. That's why sensitive criticism is delivered behind closed doors, in the business world or elsewhere. Right or wrong, anyone would rather get chewed out in private than with lots of people watching.

Other than those points, you're right on target.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Doesn't this very lengthy discussion (it occurred in 2005) qualify as old news? Put another way:
dead-horse.gif

Reaction Score
For some reason BT comes to mind, kinda wrong place, wrong time. Not sure though. Also CD the Younger, got in trouble a couple years back for a Halloween prank. Typical college kid stuff.
Believe BTX got in a fight with a male (don't know who won, but glad it wasn't me). Also there was some stuff back around then about stolen laptops that went away real quick.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree Kib - I thought my original post was pretty innocuous but then we got into specifics and ... oh well!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Disagree with just about all of this. Don't know why you're going to a whose bad thing is worse than whose analysis (the original point by UCMiami was that all coaches make mistakes), but since it's on the table:

Because I felt like talking about it. Apparently, so did you. I was of the impression that so long as it's not outside the rules of the Boneyard, it's allowed. Now I'm sure you can find some bylaw and tangentially relate it to this if you want. But I hardly think the comment was above and beyond the pale.

1. "Grown man" is just a swipe. The players aren't toddlers. They're grown women. You're verging on calling him a child molester.

Are you kidding me with this JS? How you can possibly say "berating one of his kids" can remotely be compared to being "on the verge of calling him a child molester", one of the single worst crimes in known to man? That's crazy, even in hyperbole. If you are using it as hyperbole, and it does not read as such, you used a poorly thought out analogy.

How you can even think overly harsh yelling is in the same universe as child molestation is beyond me. Nowhere did I bring up child molestation or anything close. Ironically, much like Stringer did to Geno, you are insinuating something that I did not remotely come close to saying, nor would ever have any intention of saying.

And grown man = adult, despite whatever you want to read into it. We have certain expectations for adults in society. Especially those in a position of power, working with 'young adults' (if you prefer) no less.

2. He lays into people who are screwing up. He's done it a thousand times without taking it too far. He's not Mike Rice or Bobby Knight. (Were they called "grown men" in contrast to their players, BTW? Or just serially abusive coaches?)

He absolutely does that and I have zero problem with it. But for better or worse in our society, we have rules/expectations about bullying, especially concerning those in a position of power.

Of course he's not Mike Rice or Bobby Knight, but the fact that it isn't repeat behavior doesn't justify or absolve an action. That makes no sense. For example, if college student lays into another kid so badly that the affected kid tries to commit suicide, it makes no difference that the original kid hadn't done anything that harsh before. I'm not equating the two scenarios, just showing how it doesn't matter if there is a pattern of behavior or not.

Sue Bird is a tough, tough female. To make her cry (and for Geno to actually regret it), he'd have had to said some pretty harsh things.

5. A coach making up stuff about another coach -- including inflammatory innuendo -- and publicly stating it in order to cover her own program's butt is reprehensible. It's smearing a fellow professional, and it's bearing false witness

I didn't say I agree with what Stringer did, nor condone it. But two 'opposition' public figures battling it out in the media is par for the course these days. Stringer was slinging bullcrap, and while terrible, Geno's an experienced adult, with the full support of an administration behind him, who can handle those things, as reprehensible as they may be.

6. Of course public or in-house matters. Public events, on live TV, were the whole problem in Cappiegate. That's why sensitive criticism is delivered behind closed doors, in the business world or elsewhere. Right or wrong, anyone would rather get chewed out in private than with lots of people watching.

I meant that (public/private) didn't matter in terms of the direction of the offense in my opinion. My point was that who was receiving the 'sensitive criticism' was more important.

Other than those points, you're right on target.

I think it's more important that you care about how you treat the people in your own program (your family) more than slights/insults, no matter how harsh, you receive from opponents.[/quote]

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Agree Kib - I thought my original post was pretty innocuous but then we got into specifics and ... oh well!

I didn't think I posted much of a harsh reply to your post, but JS seems to think it borders on an accusation of child molestation.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I didn't think I posted much of a harsh reply to your post, but JS seems to think it borders on an accusation of child molestation.
I was going back to my first page post and wasn't talking about any particular posted responses - just the way the thread had taken on a life of its own. I had no 'problem' with your posts - do not necessarily agree with everything you posted, but my last post was just saying that I thought this thread had pretty much solidified into different opinions and was ready to die. (Which of course I am now not allowing it to do! :eek:)

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Just some points to get out there.

3. Doesn't it bother any TN fans or WBB fans in general, that Ariel Massengale has come out in public and said the last 2 years of players ignored Holly Warlick and the coaching staff, and ran their own plays, and this years team will follow the coaches as the team NOW realize the coaches know more than the players thought! This is wrong on so many levels. If Geno watched his players ignore him and run other plays than what he called, he would have sat them all down and the would have hit the fan! And none of the players he recruited would have even thought to run their own plays!

Ariel did not say they ran their own plays. She said they are doing much better as a team in heeding the direction of their coaches. This is a natural maturation process and one that can be difficult for players that entered the program under one coach and then had a switch to a new head coach with different emphasis. This doesn't mean they set out to purposely ignore the staff. Instead, they may not have done things within the game plan out of natural instincts. An example would be if the coaches tell them do not leave the shooter under any circumstances, but player A sees player B getting beat off the dribble, so they rotate over to help because that's what they were taught initially and it had been drilled into them from day 1 as freshmen. Now, the new staff has some different approaches and the players need to pay attention to even the finest detail. All players at all programs struggle with breaking away from old habits and tendencies. The sooner they can develop new tendencies and focus on the details of their new staff, the sooner they will become successful. If UConn players lost Geno and switched to a new head coach with a different philosophy, they would need to get that Geno-voice out of their heads. Easier said than done when in the heat of battle.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Let's not let Geno off the hook totally for their resent spat. He was extremely vocal about blaming ND for all that ails the former BE and college sports in general. ND is Muffet's employer and more than that... her home. She has a right to be defensive.
Yeah, but he was right.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
4. Concerning Muffett's amazing NCAA title in 1991...
During the Geno "Legends" show on SNY with Sue Bird last season he asked Sue if she was still pissed at him for what happened at 1/2 time of the UCONN/ND semi in '91 and she smiled and said no, time heals things! He went on to explain that with 15 seconds left in the 1st 1/2, Ratay of ND hit a 3-pointer dropping the margin from 18 to 15 points. When he entered the locker room, he preceded to throw a chair across the room and he went nuts for the full 1/2 time. When the players went out to start the 2nd 1/2 they were all upset and he blames himself for costing that team, with Svet & Shea injured, he considered THAT team as the greatest team in WBB, and they didn't have a title!

I remember well that semi final game against Notre Dame where we were up 18 at the half...I remember watching that second half, and the game just fall apart for UConn, and Diana trying so hard to get her shots to fall.

I remember getting very angry with Geno, wondering why the hell he was not coaching that second half...it wasn't UConn's MO to fall apart in the second half, they usually come out a have the kill shot handy and ready to apply. I was pretty pissed at him that they lost, although he did get points for going down and talking to an obviously upset Diana

It wasn't until that show mentioned above that I finally found out what happened, though the details I remembered were sketchier....no matter. It was one of the most puzzling events in Geno's tenure and thankfully one that has not been repeated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom