SI: How Kevin Ollie Could Contest UConn's 'Just Cause' Firing | Page 7 | The Boneyard

SI: How Kevin Ollie Could Contest UConn's 'Just Cause' Firing

Reaction Score
Do you people get your views on the legal system from TV or something? Have you tried a case?

Here's the 1%. ... essentially re-attached his penis and testicles upside down.
Paragraph 1: Like. Paragraph 2: NOT like; :eek: bet that's one scary picture, and even worse ... one with a few scenarios.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If they have him "dead in their tracts" then they should go for the kill. If he committed major infractions that "WILL" penalize UCONN then he shouldn't get anything. I don't believe he committed any infractions though.

Wow. I think I begin to understand the attitude some of you have here. You think this is a right and wrong situation. That there is some level of "justice" involved, and it should be winner take all (on either side). It's not that. Civil litigation or arbitration in this case is almost never that. I can tell you this, if you go into your first pre-trial meeting with a federal judge with that attitude, they will disabuse you of that notion quickly. Their job is to get your case off their docket rapidly. There is no room for righteous indignation. It's a business arrangement, emotion is not helpful.

Reaction Score
besides the fact that you two are friends, why don't you think he did anything? The NCAA showed up to campus a couple weeks before the season ended
You forgot to add they were in the locker room before AAC Tourney game vs SMU.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying he won't get anything. But they fired him quickly. ...
Yup, just Nike's clothing and several other companies' endorsements now. Undoubtedly, far fewer millions than Woods received before finally getting caught up with off the course issues. Underdog or not, we can likely agree a few million or whatever's still not a bad bag.

Reaction Score
Wow. I think I begin to understand the attitude some of you have here. You think this is a right and wrong situation. That there is some level of "justice" involved, and it should be winner take all (on either side). It's not that. Civil litigation or arbitration in this case is almost never that. I can tell you this, if you go into your first pre-trial meeting with a federal judge with that attitude, they will disabuse you of that notion quickly. Their job is to get your case off their docket rapidly. There is no room for righteous indignation. It's a business arrangement, emotion is not helpful.

Yup, I was blown away in my first legal battle. We were dead right, all the claims were dismissed by the judge, they appealed, all the claims were again dismissed. We won every battle but the process took so long we lost the war on the business end. There is no black and white, right or wrong. Its a system, a process, nothing more. If you're looking for satisfaction in the legal system, you're going to be seriously disappointed.

Reaction Score
...posters think that because they don't like Ollie that UConn doesn't have to pay him....

Yeah, pretty sure there is, literally, not a single poster on this board, whatsoever, who actually thinks that.

Reaction Score
Yeah, pretty sure there is, literally, not a single poster on this board, whatsoever, who actually thinks that.
nelson is just covering for the fact that he proclaimed Ollie would be back no matter what

Reaction Score
Public humiliation is what Ollie is enduring currently, and it wouldn't be fair "when the rabbit get the gun." Dave Benedict and Susan Herbst may have to resign because of the mess this may cause.

ROTFLMAO!!! Every time I come here I'm newly shocked at the silliness people post. Sorry to let you in on the secret, but neither Dave Benedict, nor Susan Herbst are going to be forced to resign because they believe they have enough to fire Kevin Ollie for cause.

Reaction Score
You are joking right?

For like 15 minutes - and now he’s the biggest story in sports again.
You do realize that was NINE years ago, right ? NOW he's the biggest story again... nine years later.

Now, granted, most of his problem was due to injury, and I suspect a good amount of complacency, but still the event that damaged his reputation was in 2009. He's the story now, in 2018

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Disagree. This is about business. Pure and simple. KO was able to hold the school over a barrel in negotiating the contract and nobody said a word. Now the school is doing the same and is getting crucified? This is a business proposition now.....regardless of how it looks or smells. And in NO WAY will it scare off another coach. As I've said before, it's happening at other big time schools as we speak! Stop trying to make it personal!
I love the sentiment that KO held them over a barrel. Here is a clue, they could have said no and risked him walking away. They tried to hedge their bet and thought he would remain a hot commodity. They lost the bet.

Reaction Score
FYI,

The reason Ollie is being fired for “Just Cause” is due to non compliant summer practices. Pretty weak. I’m not sure/I doubt this is the same thing the NCAA is looking into.

Reaction Score
But if your issue is being lazy and complacient... don’t you really want your $11 million so you don’t have to work?
That's one way to look at it. He apparently owes his ex a significant amount. Also if you believe the "just cause", is BS,, why give a dime back? We seem to forget we had the Josh Nochimson fiasco and we didn't look for a just cause out of that one.

Reaction Score
The people who want Ollie gone are going on the assumption that DB and the administration have "just cause" simply because "they" say so. I would caution that a person would not fight a battle if they thought they would lose if the "evidence" was against them. So, with that said, maybe consideration should be given that DB and the administration decided to premptively fire Kevin Ollie before the investigation was complete as a tactic because they know that there is no "just cause" violation per the AAUP contract nor any witness interviwed that came forward to warrant a firing on any merits other than a losing season.

An investigation is just that. Maybe Chief can tell all of us what that "just cause" for termination was prior to the NCAA concluding all of their interviews since he is so "in the know" or maybe perhaps he can even tell us how or who initiated this whole investigation in thw first place. IJS

Reaction Score
FYI,

The reason Ollie is being fired for “Just Cause” is due to non compliant summer practices. Pretty weak. I’m not sure/I doubt this is the same thing the NCAA is looking into.
I was under the impression that is only part of it

Reaction Score
I really think people are being homers on this one which I get.

Ollie has a contract detailing his payout if terminated. Until we know for sure what the "just cause" is we are all guessing. Every once in a while someone says the hell with a settlement this is about principle. If the just cause turns out to be impermissible practices and too much cream cheese on bagels Uconn looks incredibly bad. Every day this drags on it looks bad for the school. This school needs to get out of the business of buyouts it can't afford to pay without shenanigans.

What you're suggesting will remove UConn from big-time college sports. The type of coach necessary to immediately return the program to hallowed status is looking for guaranteed money. Even if the school finds a coach that will take a shorter (still guaranteed) deal, for less money, winning will change his attitude. He will get paid or he'll be coaching elsewhere while UConn initiates another search.

Coaches deals are market-driven. The UConn Brand might interest a great coach; but only at the right compensation,

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He doesn’t even know what they are using to fire him “for cause”! He finds that out when he, his lawyer and union rep meet with Benedict!

For a lot of people, this is personal, not procedural. What are you gonna do?

Reaction Score
What you're suggesting will remove UConn from big-time college sports. The type of coach necessary to immediately return the program to hallowed status is looking for guaranteed money. Even if the school finds a coach that will take a shorter (still guaranteed) deal, for less money, winning will change his attitude. He will get paid or he'll be coaching elsewhere while UConn initiates another search.

Coaches deals are market-driven. The UConn Brand might interest a great coach; but only at the right compensation,
UConn is in a bad spot. It's all due to being left out of the P5, which we all know. I just really hope the Just Cause is legit. Because, think about it, if coaches think they're gonna try and get played on the just cause front, then the contract isn't worth the paper it was written on.

Whatever the outcome, I want UConn to come out of it in a better spot than they are currently in.

Reaction Score
Did this actually happen? Trying to think of the negatives of having upside down genitalia and can only think of positives. Doesn’t seem like a malpractice to me, but rather opportunity.
Pissing up into your own face seems like a pretty big downside, but you might be into that sort of thing, idk.

Reaction Score
He's "back" as player. For now. He's not coming back as a guy who gets commercials and endorsements like he once did. That part of his reputation is pretty permanently tarnished.

Most recent list I've seen of top athlete "endorsers" has Tiger at number- four ($45.0MM). I believe that is for 2016. His previous partners are taking their places in line waiting to apologize and beg.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom