SI Article on Rivalries | The Boneyard

SI Article on Rivalries

Reaction Score
College hoops rivalries we want to see renewed

UConn vs. Boston College: New England’s top two programs used to play annually as founding members of the Big East, from 1979 through 2005. But the Eagles’ football-driven departure for the ACC not only ended the mandated series but burned bridges: After B.C. successfully lobbied to exclude the Huskies from joining the league as well, UConn coach Jim Calhoun vowed to never schedule the Eagles again. Since then they have played just once, at the 2K Classic in New York City in the Huskies’ second season under Calhoun’s successor, Kevin Ollie. As UConn begins a new era under Ollie’s replacement, Dan Hurley, and B.C. is getting its footing under Jim Christian, renewing the series could stoke local interest all around.

Reaction Score
Bc got tired of losing to UConn . Every. single. Year. In the 90s and could not stand the thought of more losses to UConn in the acc, (didn't they lose 24 in a row to UConn at one point ?)

If there's one team I hate more than cuse it's BC.

Schedule other New England teams like Providence or Rhode Island sure, or even regional teams like St. John's, shall, gtown, etc as well as cuse, sure, but screw BC. To be a rival you actually have to have a similar profile of success and win some and, you know, not lose 24 in a row to the "rival". Hate cuse too but they are way more of a rival than bc with a more similar but still inferior profile and wins are like 55%/45% in favor of cuse.

Again, screw bc, flounder in the bball basement forever for all I care.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It would be nice to be in a rivalry where the opponent counts UConn as enemy #1. Syracuse still sees Georgetown as that. Villanova? BC would be it, right?

Reaction Score
Might put BC at the 8th best program in New England recently. UConn, PC, URI, Harvard, Yale, and Vermont would all definitely be above imo. They can duke it out with UMass and maybe sneak into 7th I guess lol

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Does anyone really miss not playing BC (other than the automatic win?)

Personally, I'd love to see Pitt back on the schedule. That was usually a great matchup back in the day and with both programs rebuilding, could be again.

I know a whole lot of you hate Pitt, but hey, I live here and I would represent the blue & white!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hell no. It's bad enough we gave them a home game in football.

Reaction Score
The article was written by Dan Greene, used to work for the CT Post.

Reaction Score
BCU never did anything successfully in the ACC and that includes lobbying against UConn. You can be sure their efforts had no effect one way or the other. No one in the conference listens to them.

Reaction Score
although it would be funny if BC paid uconn to embarrass them in basketball. like Syracuse just did with Buffalo.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
BCU never did anything successfully in the ACC and that includes lobbying against UConn. You can be sure their efforts had no effect one way or the other. No one in the conference listens to them.
They were part of a three man committee to nominate candidates for expansion. They spoke against us and the committee recommended Pitt. They supported FSU push for Louisville. There's no doubt they hurt us. Agree with your statement otherwise though.

Reaction Score
This is something that has to be done, for P5 marketing purposes.

Reaction Score
They actually had some good teams, just couldn’t find a way to beat Calhoun. JC loved Billy Curley.

And he loved beating Curley's Eagles about 10 or more times, in his four years at BC. Wonder where Curley is today. He was a hard working and very successful college player but no NBA talent.

Reaction Score
And he loved beating Curley's Eagles about 10 or more times, in his four years at BC. Wonder where Curley is today. He was a hard working and very successful college player but no NBA talent.

Nice player for sure, JC thought he had him for sure his father supposedly made that decision for him if I remember correctly? Imagine if JC won that battle too we would’ve been beating them by 40 instead of 25:D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom