Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
"Because I can."

!!!!!!

Reaction Score
That series on the Player's Tribune is great. The Chauncey Billups letter is even better.
I read thru some of the Billups one - not sure why you think its better? Definitely not better written. The info about Pitino copping to trading him b/c he felt pressure to win was interesting, Terrell Brandon mentoring was cool (forgot all about Terrell, injuries are bummers) but otherwise I found it a little more typical of that site, a long humblebrag nicely dressed to look sincere.

Reaction Score
I read thru some of the Billups one - not sure why you think its better? Definitely not better written. The info about Pitino copping to trading him b/c he felt pressure to win was interesting, Terrell Brandon mentoring was cool (forgot all about Terrell, injuries are bummers) but otherwise I found it a little more typical of that site, a long humblebrag nicely dressed to look sincere.

I am no writing critic, so to each his/her own. I thought Billups talked a little more about each layer of his experience. I said it was better, like a 95 compared to a 93. I didn't say it blew it out of the water. I thought both were good. I thought Ray could have given us more about the people he mentioned, etc. Ray played in several cities with (and for) several HOFers, he mentioned how some were different. I would have liked a quick example/comparison, and how those differences shaped him (or didn't effect him). The piece didn't need it, I just would have liked to have seen it. But what he offered was enough and I thought it was good.

Reaction Score
I am no writing critic, so to each his/her own. I thought Billups talked a little more about each layer of his experience. I said it was better, like a 95 compared to a 93. I didn't say it blew it out of the water. I thought both were good. I thought Ray could have given us more about the people he mentioned, etc. Ray played in several cities with (and for) several HOFers, he mentioned how some were different. I would have liked a quick example/comparison, and how those differences shaped him (or didn't effect him). The piece didn't need it, I just would have liked to have seen it. But what he offered was enough and I thought it was good.
That's cool, it just broke down for me there with so much detail about each stop the premise of writing to himself became overused and I didn't care about his time in Toronto or Denver & didn't necessarily need to hear detail about his relationships with ever starter on the Detroit team. Could be though he was just a player to me and if I was a Pistons fan it'd be worth pouring over every word.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
He was also a prophet (From the Ray Allen Wikipedia Page):

[During the 2004 preseason, Allen had a brief war of words with Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, whom Allen accused of alienating teammates trying to prove that he did not need Shaquille O'Neal to win games and championships. Allen told the press that if the Lakers remained a mediocre squad, "in about a year or two he will be calling out to (Lakers owner) Jerry Buss that we need some help in here, or trade me." When asked about Allen's comments, Bryant responded, "Don't even put me and that dude in the same breath."[10]]
Thanks for posting this. I remember Kobe saying something like " Ray . Who's that"
As if he never heard of Ray. Well Kobe , That guy you talked down upon will likely be inducted into the Hall of Fame alongside you. Love it!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Ray did it his way, and he did it very well. While I believe Rip was the best to play at the college level, Ray is undeniably our most accomplished alum. Congrats to Ray on a stellar HOF career.

Reaction Score
That guy you talked down upon will likely be inducted into the Hall of Fame alongside you. Love it!!!!!!
He hasn't played a game in 2 years, so I suspect he's eligible in three years instead of 5, right?

Reaction Score
He hasn't played a game in 2 years, so I suspect he's eligible in three years instead of 5, right?
Yeah, saw reports that he is eligible for HOF starting in 2019

Reaction Score
Very inspirational letter; makes me want to work harder, even though I am already middle aged.

Ray and Donny Marshall are the only Huskies with whom I have had extended, one-on-one conversations. Both were absolutely the nicest guys, with Donny being relatively gregarious and Ray a bit more soft-spoken.

In the case of Shuttlesworth, the conversation occurred, appropriately, on the campus shuttle. I was waiting at the bus stop, when Ray approached, surrounded by a group of seven or eight other students, chatting more at him than with him. The shuttle pulled up, the crowd dissipated, and Ray and I boarded the vehicle. All seats were taken, with the exception of one bench, two seats, so we sat down together.

I struck up a conversation by asking Ray how he deals with all the attention. His response—I’m paraphrasing here; it was a long time ago—was that he fully appreciated it, because it showed a recognition of his hard work and demonstrated the passion of the fans.

With the exception of me complimenting him on his performance in the previous game and him thanking me, though, we did not talk basketball—I figured he probably had enough of those conversations. Instead we discussed life in the south—I spent the majority of my childhood south of the Mason Dixon line, including considerable time in Georgia.

Admittedly, I rode the shuttle past my stop, and wound up doing more than a full loop, just to continue the conversation.

Ray is absolutely a Hall-of-Famer, both as a basketball player and as a person. His retirement letter demonstrates that truth.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Personally, I can't wait for the day he's not. Can you imagine how special the guy who supplants him as our GOAT will have to be?
kemba-walker-uconn-vs-sd-statejpg-e9f9a33fa2da56d9.jpg

Of course this guy deserves to be in the discussion as well:
o-SHABAZZ-NAPIER-facebook.jpg

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

So basically, more Jeff Calhoun.

Reaction Score
That's cool, it just broke down for me there with so much detail about each stop the premise of writing to himself became overused and I didn't care about his time in Toronto or Denver & didn't necessarily need to hear detail about his relationships with ever starter on the Detroit team. Could be though he was just a player to me and if I was a Pistons fan it'd be worth pouring over every word.

I feel you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01