Shuttlesworth Shuffles Off... | The Boneyard

Shuttlesworth Shuffles Off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Great, great read.

In high school, you might think you understand what it takes to be a great basketball player, but you will truly have no idea. When you get to UConn, your coach will show you what hard work really is.

His name is Jim Calhoun. Don’t get on this man’s [excrement] list.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When you walk into the gym for that first practice, get ready for hell on wheels. You’re going to be all excited to put on your Huskies gear and start shooting around. But then Coach Calhoun is going to flip the script.

“Freshmen!” he’ll say. “You think you deserve to wear this uniform? You don’t deserve the privilege. Not yet.”

Then the assistant coaches will start handing out these plain grey shorts and T-shirts to all the freshmen.

“I want to see some sweat,” Coach will say.

Up until that very moment, you’ll think basketball is all about going out and putting up some jump shots and showing your skill.

When you get put through Coach Calhoun’s first practice you’ll realize, Oh, this game is a sonofabitch.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Good article. I love the JC stuff.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
What an amazing letter. So much respect for the man. I'm sure Ray's family and background had a lot to do with the man he is today, but this quote, this is what Jim and Kevin want to hear from every UConn alum when they retire:

Now, the most important question in your life isn’t, “Who am I supposed to be?” or even, “What do I have to do to win another championship?”

It’s, “Daddy, guess what happened in math class today?”

Clearly Ray is more than just one of the greats on the court. Respect.

Reaction Score
That series on the Player's Tribune is great. The Chauncey Billups letter is even better.

I wish Ray would play one more year. I would love to see him come off the bench as a long-range assassin for the Cavs, but dude has nothing to regret. Hell of a career and 5 years from a HOF induction speech. He dried the ink used to put UConn Basketball on the map.

Damn I feel old.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Who's Rajon Rondo? ^

I washed down that article with a youtube clip of Jimmy C on Ryan Gomes.

Reaction Score
He was also a prophet (From the Ray Allen Wikipedia Page):

[During the 2004 preseason, Allen had a brief war of words with Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, whom Allen accused of alienating teammates trying to prove that he did not need Shaquille O'Neal to win games and championships. Allen told the press that if the Lakers remained a mediocre squad, "in about a year or two he will be calling out to (Lakers owner) Jerry Buss that we need some help in here, or trade me." When asked about Allen's comments, Bryant responded, "Don't even put me and that dude in the same breath."[10]]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom