Shuffle the deck to spark the Offense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shuffle the deck to spark the Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We don't need to change QBs. We need to change coaching philosophies. When we throw the football, we have receiving weapons. The issue is our OL, as it has been since Edsall left. Quick slants, screens, playaction, moving the pocket, etc in more spread formations could lead to better offensive production while helping out our OL.

I'm not opposed to inserting Anderson on a 2Q series if our offense comes out sputtering against Cincinnati. I am completely opposed to burning Williams' RS behind this OL.

Reaction Score
Wow, somebody needs a time out. What happened, they ran out of Fruit Loops at Stop & Shop this morning.
Davis is an option at QB. You know what you have now with BS. How long before you switch it up?
Still waiting for our "gifted" TEs to make some plays. Maybe its not all on them but if they don't get open, or plays are not called or executed for them to make a play what good are those "gifts"?
YES, in college football Athleticism is the most important quality for a successful QB. Next time you're watching a game see if you notice something different on the field vs the NFL. Here's a clue, the hash marks are farther apart meaning there is more room to operate on the wide side of the field. That's what athletic QB's exploit.
By the way, do you know what offense Davis ran in HS? I don't think he forgot how to play QB while he was in the weight room.

Davis couldn't beat out Shirreffs or Anderson for the backup spot, and now you think we should just change his position again? Let's completely destroy his development as a football player and shuffle him back and forth between F-Back and QB for the next 3 years. We'll have him put on a bunch of weight to play F-Back and then when UCONN FB decides we need a new QB, we'll change his diet and weight lifting program again halfway through the year. That's genius, someone get Verducci on the phone with this guy. Clearly he understands how you condition and manage mass for different position groups

Reaction Score
We don't need to change QBs. We need to change coaching philosophies. When we throw the football, we have receiving weapons. The issue is our OL, as it has been since Edsall left. Quick slants, screens, playaction, moving the pocket, etc in more spread formations could lead to better offensive production while helping out our OL.

I'm not opposed to inserting Anderson on a 2Q series if our offense comes out sputtering against Cincinnati. I am completely opposed to burning Williams' RS behind this OL.

I've been wanting a shotgun WCO for a while now. I think it puts us in the best position to succeed. Run some slants and short ins to get the LB's out of the box.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I've been wanting a shotgun WCO for a while now. I think it puts us in the best position to succeed. Run some slants and short ins to get the LB's out of the box.

I agree - the shotgun WCO would allow QBBS more time and more options - may open up the gut of the D

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I agree - the shotgun WCO would allow QBBS more time and more options - may open up the gut of the D

That's the irony. When you spread a defense out, it makes draws and inside runs more probable for success. It's hat on hat, as opposed to 6 or 7 vs 8 box stuffing defenders. We can open up our run game once we establish our pass game.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The first three words of this thread were accurate. You, however, left out the crucial next 4 words: chairs on the Titanic.

Reaction Score
No... solid and consistent decision making is.
Because that's what the following Championship QBs were always known for: Vince Young, Cam Newton, Chris Leak, Tim Teebow, Jameis Winston, JT Barrett, Braxton Miller........

Reaction Score
Because that's what the following Championship QBs were always known for: Vince Young, Cam Newton, Chris Leak, Tim Teebow, Jameis Winston, JT Barrett, Braxton Miller...
....yes? is that a question?

Reaction Score
No... solid and consistent decision making is.

Because that's what the following Championship QBs were always known for: Vince Young, Cam Newton, Chris Leak, Tim Teebow, Jameis Winston, JT Barrett, Braxton Miller...

Well, let's talk about Newton:

>>Which skills of his will translate the best to the NFL? His mechanics are very good. His decision making is very good. He can make every throw that anybody asks. His decision making after things break down, I think that’s one of his strengths. At the next level, you have to have that, because things will break down with the amount of talent on the defensive side. He’s very coachable. He’s one of the most coachable players I’ve ever coached.<<

>> We can move onto JT Barrett if you like? >>And while he might not be able to break off nearly as many long, electrifying runs as his predecessor, the redshirt freshman has consistently given himself an edge against defenders and helped moved the chains thanks in large part to his brain more so than his legs. “It doesn’t make him any faster,” Herman said. “But it puts him in position to make more yards carrying the football when he makes the right read. I think grading the decision can sometimes be unfair because I’m not out there. I’m not seeing what he sees to say, ‘This is the standard.’<<

Reaction Score
BS is ideal as a wild cat formation QB. His throwing ability is not good. He is way too slow as a H back. We should start someone with better arm and put BS in for change of pace in the wild husky formation.

Reaction Score
I might be an outsider but I've watched enough of your games to feel like I can comment.

Sherrifs is not the problem. He is a hard nosed kid who can make enough plays with both his arm and legs to win games in The AAC. He's never going to be confused for Tom Brady, but he doesn't have to be. The coaching staff needs to put him in a better position to be successful. They need to give him some easy completions early to get his confidence up. Bubble screens to Thomas or Mayala, screen pass to Newsome, quick slant to Thomas, A few short throws to the TE's. Get him going early in the game and he'll be more apt to survey the field a opposed to running when his first option is covered.

This board reads like every other college football board. Especially after a loss. All the coaches should be fired, and of course the back up QB is always the better option. Its a delusion that all football fan bases share. The thing is the starter is often the starter for more than what we see on Saturdays. He may have the best understanding of the offense, he may perform the best in practice, and may have the respect of his teammates. I suspect that is the case with Sherrifs. The fact that Andersen has played FB, Davis was moved to TE, and Williams' Shirt is a near lock to remain red tells me that Sherrifs is the guy.

Reaction Score
I might be an outsider but I've watched enough of your games to feel like I can comment.

Sherrifs is not the problem. He is a hard nosed kid who can make enough plays with both his arm and legs to win games in The AAC. He's never going to be confused for Tom Brady, but he doesn't have to be. The coaching staff needs to put him in a better position to be successful. They need to give him some easy completions early to get his confidence up. Bubble screens to Thomas or Mayala, screen pass to Newsome, quick slant to Thomas, A few short throws to the TE's. Get him going early in the game and he'll be more apt to survey the field a opposed to running when his first option is covered.

This board reads like every other college football board. Especially after a loss. All the coaches should be fired, and of course the back up QB is always the better option. Its a delusion that all football fan bases share. The thing is the starter is often the starter for more than what we see on Saturdays. He may have the best understanding of the offense, he may perform the best in practice, and may have the respect of his teammates. I suspect that is the case with Sherrifs. The fact that Andersen has played FB, Davis was moved to TE, and Williams' Shirt is a near lock to remain red tells me that Sherrifs is the guy.

Wisdom!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
New play: Run for your life like a wounded squirrel on two.

Reaction Score
Sheriffs is a QB that runs. He is not a running QB nor a running back. Houston amply demonstrated he neither has the speed nor innate running capability to elude decent defenses on any meaningful basis. Breaking out of a pocket when a lane open is vastly different than running into the teeth of a defense.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your interest in UConn football.

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
You are really, really dumb. Quite possibly the dumbest poster I have seen on this board and that is saying a lot.

1. The staff has already moved Davis from QB because he couldn't beat out Shirreffs or Anderson. So the kid has been on a weight training program for the H/F-Back position, hasn't been working as a QB for a year now, and your brilliant idea is to change all of that and just name him the starting QB now. That's freaking brilliant, you're a genius. Why aren't you a division 1 football coach?
2. Shirreffs is not as athletically gifted as any of our TE's, so you want him to take playing time away from them, who are barely seeing any action as is?
3. I've given my thoughts on the offense countless times, it doesn't mean I'm going to start a stupid uninformed uneducated thread with whatever stupid thought pops into my head because I'm not a moron. By your logic, let's play Newsome at QB because "he's an athletic guy." Or Noel Thomas. He's an athletic guy, let's give him a shot at QB! Because everyone know the only thing you really need to play QB is athleticism.

LOL. Toning down the sarcasm....
1) staff moved davis because there was no way he was taking over at QB after BS got us to bowl game. NO WAY!! Look at all the positions Davis fills. And Verducci has said Anderson could not make as much of an impact at F position like Davis could. But speaking of Anderson: too bad he came in so late at Houston. He changed energy and tempo. We wouldn't have won but it would have looked like a more honorable fight.
2) "gifted TE". -- When ball gets to them they make plays. However, BS doesn't roll through his progressions. If 1 is not available he runs. TE's were open all day at Virginia game. Not sure how to improve there...
3) I don't think a radical QB switch is necessary but if OL is not working out put GA, TD or even BB in for a play and change predictability.

Reaction Score
Our current offense seems to be predicated off of our defense. Is it just me, or does it seem like it? It's like in practice our supposed strength, defense, bend but don't break, with the CBs give that nice 10 yard cushion to the wideouts. Only difference from real games is opposing team's offenses burn the hell out our D with short passes and slants then the deep one on one post routes.

Reaction Score
Keep on Keepin on......don't change it up.....Better days are comin if we just stay the course......
Let's see, CBSSports.com ranking of all NCAA teams after this week's games,....aha UCONN is #91 out of 128; right behind the Golden Knights of UCF. Wonder if the Rent will be filled at 11:30 Saturday morning?????

Reaction Score
Keep on Keepin on.don't change it up.....Better days are comin if we just stay the course.
Let's see, CBSSports.com ranking of all NCAA teams after this week's games,....aha UCONN is #91 out of 128; right behind the Golden Knights of UCF. Wonder if the Rent will be filled at 11:30 Saturday morning?????

Most here think there should be change. Maybe a change in scheme or frequency of certain types of plays/formations. Maybe use Newsome exclusively on passing downs out of the gun so Johnson doesn't whiff on another blitzer. Maybe less 1st/2nd/3rd and goal runs. But moving Shirreffs to "H-Back" and reconverting Tyler Davis to quarterback with no proof that he is any better than Shirreffs whatsoever is asinine.

Reaction Score
Hey guys this thread seems stupid. But if our defense played liked it did last year we would be 4-1 and everyone would be extatic talking about how great we are. Our defense has not made any big plays this year and secondary has gotten burned time after time. While Bryant Shirrefs may not be the second coming of Tom Brady, you cannot say that he is the reason that we are 2-3.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I would like to see UConn run three tight ends with Thomas which would create mismatches with any secondary. Try something anything different then what they have been doing.

Reaction Score
Ok Lombardi, when opposing D Coordinators prepare for UCONN who do they have concerns about? Sorry to break the news to you but it ain't much after Noel Thomas. So putting Sheriffs in a position where he can make some athletic plays and giving the defense something else to think about is a bad thing? Davis is an athletic guy, play him as QB. Then guess what, the defense now has to play it more honest and UCONN has more opportunities to move the ball.
If your point is that Sheriffs is too small to play traditional H Back, that's probably true. Wouldn't have him lead blocking for running plays. He wouldn't be on the field for every play. Like many posters all you seem to be able to do is criticize others, that's easy. Whats your plan to improve the offense? That takes some thought and I know, that makes your head hurt.

UCONNFB has a point. The coaches need to shake things up. I just got this email from a friend who shared the following:

I didn't realize how "long term' this early scoring debacle has gone on:

Last 7 games Uconn started:

0-27 Temple

0-7 Marshall

0-7 Maine

0-21 Navy

0-10 Virginia

0-14 Syracuse

0-28 Houston

-------------------------

0-114 last 7 games

That is simply inexcusable

Also:

Uconn's 30 games under Diaco:

The offense has generated 24 points just 1 time, with the exceptions being high turnover games by their opponent, 3 incidents of scoring 31.37, and 40 points but opponent had at least 4 turnovers in each of those games.

I would agree you have to shake things up. For Pete's sake, let Thor play quarterback and just let him run the ball. At 6'9" 320 He can just fall forward and gain 3 yards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmoothWilly

Top Bottom