Showtime Comedies: White Famous and SMILF | The Boneyard

Showtime Comedies: White Famous and SMILF

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Neither show deserves its own thread, so I will combine the two.

I like what Showtime is trying with these two. White Famous is well written, but tries too hard to be Diversity Entourage. It feels like the plots are even Entourage-y. I like the lead, but I really like the agent, the ex-gf, and Michael Rappaport is tremendous.

Nothing is terribly original, and there is a lot of competition covering the same subject matter (Bojack Horseman, Episodes), but the subject matter works so well in a comedy that the show is like batting practice. It is easy to hit an episode out of the park. This is kind of how Ballers should have been.

Bojack is a lot deeper and more interesting, but White Famous is entertaining and should have a long run.

I am struggling a little with SMILF. The lead is really unlikable, which can be OK in some shows, but this show really needs a likable central character that the audience can relate to, and it doesn't. There is nothing relatable about the central character. The sex jokes are sometimes just crass. The blond gf of her Ex is the most likeable character in the show, and the show really needs her to emerge. The ex-boyfriend himself is utterly forgettable. They could have just had him die off and the show would have been exactly the same.

The subject matter is interesting enough that I hope the writers can find some kind of foundation. And I hate to say it, but Rosie O'Donnell is really, really good as the nasty mother.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have a huge crush on the lead in SMILF from her Blue Mountain State days

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
SMILF just kinda misses the mark.

It’s just...there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
SMILF scooped up a couple of Golden Globe nominations.

I do not like the main character in SMILF, and it undermines the show. Rosie O'Donnell and Connie Brittain are perfect in their roles, and I think there should be more of the blond girl. I don't like Frankie Shaw or the character. I don't think she is terrible, but there is just something about her that I don't like, and I am coming around to the idea that the show is pretty strong overall so I don't think it is the writing.

Reaction Score
SMILF scooped up a couple of Golden Globe nominations.

I do not like the main character in SMILF, and it undermines the show. Rosie O'Donnell and Connie Brittain are perfect in their roles, and I think there should be more of the blond girl. I don't like Frankie Shaw or the character. I don't think she is terrible, but there is just something about her that I don't like, and I am coming around to the idea that the show is pretty strong overall so I don't think it is the writing.
Isn't Frankie Shaw the creator and therefore writer?! I think she was excellent in Mr. Robot.

A few weeks ago I saw the first 2 episodes of this and I'm on the fence about the show and by extension her. I was hoping for more realism and the donning the nightgown, then sleeping with former tutoree not to mention he was screwing someone in his Mom's clothes on his Mom's bed was too icky for me. Then they didn't mention it. Likewise previews were selling sex via the possible prostitute line. If you are selling me with sex don't make it gross or if so at least acknowledge it. I.e. Lena Dunham made sex either fun, funny or very real, but I never thought artificially challenged boundaries.

The show simply might take time to find its way, but I'm not compelled to check-in yet.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
then sleeping with former tutoree not to mention he was screwing someone in his Mom's clothes on his Mom's bed was too icky for me. Then they didn't mention it. Likewise previews were selling sex via the possible prostitute line. If you are selling me with sex don't make it gross or if so at least acknowledge it. I.e. Lena Dunham made sex either fun, funny or very real, but I never thought artificially challenged boundaries.

I don't understand your reasoning. Lena Dunham and sex is gross.

Reaction Score
I don't understand your reasoning. Lena Dunham and sex is gross.
She was the showrunner not just a character, it was honest in contrast to SMILF my point is an attractive character somehow made it less sexy. That doesn't mean LD is sexy but I think gross is overstepping, I thought arty.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom