Shoulder to Shoulder | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shoulder to Shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The ease with which people dispose of people like AO and Roscoe who started on a friggin national championship team blows my mind. In the last six years, how many players at UNC or Kansas or Indiana or Syracuse started on a national championship team?

This fanbase takes way, way too much for granted.

Roscoe was the 34th best player in his class and over his 2 years played at a level nowhere near that. Alex Oriakhi was the 20th best player in his class and over his 3 years played at a level nowhere near that.

It is not a paradox to be grateful for their contributions, but also to concede that they disappointed relative to what was expected of them.

Why can we not call a spade a spade?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Alex Oriakhi was the 20th best player in his class and over his 3 years played at a level nowhere near that.
In 2010-11, Alex Oriakhi led the Big East in offensive rebounding. That was the year the Big East sent 11 teams to the tournament.
The things he was good at, he was really good at. Go after him for the 2012 season and how he left or whatever. To say he underperformed over his career is just false.

Reaction Score
Roscoe was the 34th best player in his class and over his 2 years played at a level nowhere near that. Alex Oriakhi was the 20th best player in his class and over his 3 years played at a level nowhere near that.

It is not a paradox to be grateful for their contributions, but also to concede that they disappointed relative to what was expected of them.

There were 11 big men in the RSCI top 20 in 2009. Favors, Cousins, John Henson, Renardo Sidney, Tiny Gallon, Mouph Yarou, Ryan Kelly and Wally Judge were rated more highly than AO (Cousins, Favors and Henson were top 5). The guys slightly behind him were Mason Plumlee and Daniel Orton. AO is my least favorite Husky ever but I'm grateful that he turned out to be a better college player than more than half those dudes.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
There were 11 big men in the RSCI top 20 in 2009. Favors, Cousins, John Henson, Renardo Sidney, Tiny Gallon, Mouph Yarou, Ryan Kelly and Wally Judge were rated more highly than AO (Cousins, Favors and Henson were top 5). The guys slightly behind him were Mason Plumlee and Daniel Orton. AO is my least favorite Husky ever but I'm grateful that he turned out to be a better college player than more than half those dudes.

Least favorite is a tad harsh - at least he never pulled an Eric Hayward.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Alex Oriakhi was the softest big man I've ever had the displeasure to watch. I still have nightmares of him fumbling entry passes into the paint, as well as his signature "hands up in the air" routine complaining to the ref, because he couldn't figure out a way to make a 2 footer.
I don't hate any Husky, but he was def my most disliked. Not to mention we has "the cancer" in the locker room that led to our underwhelming 2012 season. I still remember strolling over to the Mizzou board and getting a couple laughs, as they soon figured out what we already knew.

Reaction Score
I think people's recollection of AO are tarnished because of AO. He was never as good as he could have been or thought he was and the misplaced blame placed on Calhoun was the last straw.

Reaction Score
Alex Oriakhi was the softest big man I've ever had the displeasure to watch. I still have nightmares of him fumbling entry passes into the paint, as well as his signature "hands up in the air" routine complaining to the ref, because he couldn't figure out a way to make a 2 footer.
I don't hate any Husky, but he was def my most disliked. Not to mention we has "the cancer" in the locker room that led to our underwhelming 2012 season. I still remember strolling over to the Mizzou board and getting a couple laughs, as they soon figured out what we already knew.

Go watch the Maui tournament and the Championship game from 2011. Without AO we don't win the championship. He dominated in the title game when Kemba, Lamb and Bazz were throwing up bricks

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Go watch the Maui tournament and the Championship game from 2011. Without AO we don't win the championship. He dominated in the title game when Kemba, Lamb and Bazz were throwing up bricks
Go watch the "whole" 2012 season, but yes he wasn't a total bust, he had his moments....

Reaction Score
He was the second most valuable player on the 2011 team, which, you'll recall, won a national championship. Oriakhi was good here.

Reaction Score
The WNBA season not being the same time as the NCAA season probably makes it easier for the ladies to make it back. Is Kemba supposed to take a break from his playoff push to help TSam work on his jumper?

Reaction Score
I think people's recollection of AO are tarnished because of AO. He was never as good as he could have been or thought he was and the misplaced blame placed on Calhoun was the last straw.

Nah.

Reaction Score

Roscoe played better than being the 34th player. Guy was a defensive demon. The championship had a lot to do with Roscoe's defense. He shut down Arizona and Kentucky especially. The guy is doing very well in the NBDL.

C

Chief00

Well if we are to be candid we need to look within. Part of recruiting are the current players - what they tell the recruit off to the side. Does the recruit enjoy their company?
Likewise few set-ups by the assistant coaches - and KO really needs to close the deal better.
As for Warde and Herbst you messed up conference realignment when the opening was there now we are in a hole. At least get off your politically correct high horse. Way too much preaching about academics rather than winning.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Way too much preaching about academics rather than winning.

I've got it - "The Chief00 University of Connecticut Men's Basketball Slush Fund". You can hold a yearly gala to raise money. Should go off without a hitch.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Second, regardless that Ollie was an assistant (beginning in 2010), he doesn't have a decade of AAU/Camp network. I am beginning to suspect that Glen Miller adds little; and, then Hobbs/Moore are not as good as the network that Calhoun had going in the last years of the Ought's.

DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!

It's connections and effort.

Both...need improvement.

Reaction Score

Our being national champions in '11 was in no small part to Roscoe being willing to go a game without shooting, play two positions, play his butt off on D guarding stronger 4s and doing it all willingly and without complaining. There were not 34 other freshmen that year who were more instrumental in their teams making a deep run in the tournament. You are free to believe that those skills are always less important than doing things that make Sportscenter. I don't. And, luckily forUConn's success, neither JC nor KO has agreed with you.

2012 sucked but that was chemistry and management -- not talent. If he didn't have real talent, he wouldn't be knocking on the NBA's door now.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
How hard could it be? You think it's going to be easy to get anyone to voluntarily go to Greensboro? I'm not going -- you going?
If AAron Hernandez gets off or escaped we could use his brother to persuade him to do it for the Blue and White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom