Should we look WEST for a QB??? | The Boneyard

Should we look WEST for a QB???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
... I'm just putting this out there... no disrespect whatsoever to the kids we now have and that's coming in.... BUT the kids out west seem to be more inclined to develop that gunslinger mentality, whether their prostyle or mobile... I know we have McEntee BUT he's a walkon... honestly he doesn't count. I think we've been taking the wrong approach when it comes to recruiting that position. We seem to look at ONLY "local" kids (local meaning the normal recruiting areas we look at, all of New England, New Jersey, NY, PA, FL, VA, and OH to a lesser extent )... making the "leftover" kids (or afterthoughts) a priority at the end of the recruiting process (only because they're the only ones left )... QB is too important a position for your football team to NOT skower ( sp?) ALL of the US of A, especially at the BCS level of football... Am I making sense here guys? This is just real talk... I watched the game again (thank you DVR) and watching past games in past seasons it's the same old BS for us... other than when Tyler Lorenzen came aboard ( pre-injury )...
Can I get at least one "+1"?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the 2 qbs that hold the future for the program are in WESTern CT! thats heading west...:)

Reaction Score
I see u are from my neck of the woods ( reppin Norwalk ).... the jury's out on that bro.... seriously .. Hey maybe if things don't work out for Norwalk's Matt Wittek at USC he can bring his act back to da east side...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
haha i wish he would have came back home

Reaction Score
guys Wittek left Norwalk for Cali to specifically play football at Mater Dei HS?

Reaction Score
I have no problem looking to the whole country for a QB, but I'm not sure why you're making the point. Of our games in the last four plus years, we have had five starters. Two from what you stated is our core recruiting area (Zach and Cody from PA), one from the South (Box from Georgia) and two from west of the Mississippi (Tyler and Johnny Mac). You really think geographic diversity is an issue?

Reaction Score
i am a little young but i have heard that when Calhoun came to our basketball program he started recruiting on the national level and that allowed our program to step up to big time so there is some validity to your comment

Reaction Score
All the good QBs out west commit to USC in 6th grade.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
No disrespect ktuck, but I disagree with the JMac = walk on = doesn't count. I would say that the fact he was previously was a walk on is irrelevant at this point. There was an open competition amongst 3-4 guys for months and he came away as our QB (mostly).

Reaction Score
Let's keep in mind that Coach P. has not had a chance to recruit "his" quarterback yet. What the coaching staff is dealing with is Edsall's leftovers. Give this staff their fair shot at bringing in the guys they think can do the job. McEntee is just that.... a walk on. Sure, he can throw a football into a garbage can, but last I saw nobody was chasing him and the can wasn't moving. The other two are babes in the woods with no senior mentor to learn from.

In saying that, watch over the next 12 months how fast Moorhead, DeLeone and Pasqualoni develop a true Div. 1 quarterback from what they have to work with. The guy they are looking for won't be signing till Feb. 2013.

Reaction Score
Let's keep in mind that Coach P. has not had a chance to recruit "his" quarterback yet. What the coaching staff is dealing with is Edsall's leftovers. Give this staff their fair shot at bringing in the guys they think can do the job. McEntee is just that.... a walk on. Sure, he can throw a football into a garbage can, but last I saw nobody was chasing him and the can wasn't moving. The other two are babes in the woods with no senior mentor to learn from.

In saying that, watch over the next 12 months how fast Moorhead, DeLeone and Pasqualoni develop a true Div. 1 quarterback from what they have to work with. The guy they are looking for won't be signing till Feb. 2013.

I'm confused. Does that mean we're writing off Cochrane. PUtting aside the obvious LMAO, are we "blaming" Edsall for P recruiting Cochrane (whom Edsall wouldn't have gone near or been allowed near)

Reaction Score
I'm not all that convinced that Cochrane would be Coach P's first choice if he was given more than 6 months to look around. Maybe the kid is the next Joe Montana. I'm not saying he isn't. All I'm saying is give this coaching staff their fair time to find and recruit the guys they feel will fit the bill.

Reaction Score
I couldn't care less where they get QB's as long as they can play. Just keep in mind that football is a bit different than hoops in terms of recruiting budgets. We cannot afford, nor should we try to recruit nationally. We have our base and P has some connections in TX and CO that he wants to check out, and that's fine. But east, west, north, south......who the hell cares.

Reaction Score
... I'm just putting this out there... no disrespect whatsoever to the kids we now have and that's coming in.... BUT the kids out west seem to be more inclined to develop that gunslinger mentality, whether their prostyle or mobile... I know we have McEntee BUT he's a walkon... honestly he doesn't count. I think we've been taking the wrong approach when it comes to recruiting that position. We seem to look at ONLY "local" kids (local meaning the normal recruiting areas we look at, all of New England, New Jersey, NY, PA, FL, VA, and OH to a lesser extent )... making the "leftover" kids (or afterthoughts) a priority at the end of the recruiting process (only because they're the only ones left )... QB is too important a position for your football team to NOT skower ( sp?) ALL of the US of A, especially at the BCS level of football... Am I making sense here guys? This is just real talk... I watched the game again (thank you DVR) and watching past games in past seasons it's the same old BS for us... other than when Tyler Lorenzen came aboard ( pre-injury )...
Can I get at least one "+1"?
I hear ya, and yes you are making sense, to apoint. Let me drop some names...Rico Brogna, Sandy Osiecki, Steve Young, Kurt Horton, Bobby Valentine, and many more that I'm sure others will chime in about. Imagine that UCONN had always been D1 and all these guys played football in Storrs, and these are just the CT kids, I'm not including NJ, NY, MASS, or PENN, and this year is the best year in many a year with Cochran playing his senior year, along with Boeing Brown, and the kid from Milford. Like I said I hear ya but consider my point also.

Reaction Score
i am a little young but i have heard that when Calhoun came to our basketball program he started recruiting on the national level and that allowed our program to step up to big time so there is some validity to your comment

Big cost difference recruiting 2-3 commits nationally a year vs. 20-25 on a national level. Not the same ball game.

Reaction Score
Good stuff guys. nice input. bottom line. we shall see how the new coaching staff works this out. one thing we all gotta realize is that the QB position isn't promised even to Cochran. he's good obviously, but he's gotta earn the position.

Reaction Score
you know what we really need is a experienced J.C. QB NOW
like Winsconsin Wilson. need a quick spark!

Reaction Score
Big cost difference recruiting 2-3 commits nationally a year vs. 20-25 on a national level. Not the same ball game.[/quot

Either you're in or you're not. UConn needs to recruit on a national basis as well as dominate on the home front in getting CTs best kids. Don't wanna hear budgets. Everybody is facing that. UConn needs to get its QB & WR situation squared away and FAST. Don't know if HCPP will be the guy to do it (I hope he is), but FHCRE wasn't. Randy knew very little about the passing game and how to make it an integral part of the offense.

Reaction Score
you know what we really need is a experienced J.C. QB NOW
like Winsconsin Wilson. need a quick spark!

One thing I ( all of us actually ) neglected a bit is that we have a brand NEW coaching staff... and being a CT guy ( born and raised ) expectations are higher moreso immediately than being patient... with that said, the jury's actually still out on what we currently have at the QB.. The competitive nature we CT residents have ( don't like to lose ) can get the best of us short term...

I'm behind whomever Coach P puts out to run the offense 100%... I just wanna see us win winnable games... So the critics can't put us down... You win they shut up... sorta ( they still like to find something ... negativity sells... it'll just be a little less though )...

Reaction Score
Good stuff guys. nice input. bottom line. we shall see how the new coaching staff works this out. one thing we all gotta realize is that the QB position isn't promised even to Cochran. he's good obviously, but he's gotta earn the position.
Just adding another name that slipped my mind, Piel Pennington, back in the late 60's/early 70's.

Reaction Score
I'm not all that convinced that Cochran is the future...but even if he is, its a future that probably won't start until 2013 anyway. Somehow we need to at a minimum bridge that period. If Nebrich is the guy, he should be pretty well established by then. If not, it could be pretty ugly for a while. And if Nebrich isn't going to cut it,we actually do need to go out and land a top JUCO to carry us while we establish a quarterback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom