Should UConn fill in for Nova on Jan. 2 (vs Xavier)? | The Boneyard

Should UConn fill in for Nova on Jan. 2 (vs Xavier)?

Reaction Score
With Nova on pause, how do you feel about filling that open date with UConn vs Xavier? My thinking is that with such uncertainty about games in the coming weeks, why not knock out one of our Xavier games now. If I recall correctly, UConn was the only Big East team without a dance partner for the Jan. 2 weekend. Let's play some games while we can; gotta expect another pause in January or February unfortunately!

Reaction Score
We aren’t filling dates with anyone!
I seem to recall the shuffling of BE game opponents in Dec by other programs when covid hit a team.....so is this just speculation or has the BE & UConn ruled out BE opponent "shuffling" going forward?

I'm on board with not adding non-conf games at this point (unless we need a game) but shuffling BE games when covid hits a team seems pretty logical to me.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I seem to recall the shuffling of BE game opponents in Dec by other programs when covid hit a team.....so is this just speculation or has the BE & UConn ruled out BE opponent "shuffling" going forward?

I'm on board with not adding non-conf games at this point (unless we need a game) but shuffling BE games when covid hits a team seems pretty logical to me.
The State of Connecticut is making it very difficult for the athletic department to reschedule and reshuffle games around. Contact tracing becomes harder and chances of contracting a case goes up. It’s not Hurley’s fault.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is anyone in charge even mulling these possibilities?

No. UConn is making zero attempts to do short timeframe game replacements. Additionally UConn is taking a two week break away from any team who has positive tests and UConn will shut down for 14 days should any person in the UConn program test positive. You can then tack on another 5-7 days of culture building and conditioning.

This is the way. (UConn style).

Reaction Score
The State of Connecticut is making it very difficult for the athletic department to reschedule and reshuffle games around. Contact tracing becomes harder and chances of contracting a case goes up. It’s not Hurley’s fault.
I've asked this before with no answer...is the state's position a recommendation or is it the law?

Reaction Score
Ok, doesn't make much sense to me how playing Xavier on 1/2 or in February makes a difference to State of CT assuming Xavier tests have been negative.

If we aren't going to be a little flexible then we'll never get through the next 2 months. Not blaming Hurley at all just trying to understand the logic.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ok, doesn't make much sense to me how playing Xavier on 1/2 or in February makes a difference to State of CT.....either way we're playing them at some point. Assuming Xavier tests have been negative why does it matter if we get the game out of the way on 1/2?

Not blaming Hurley at all just trying to understand the logic.

Therein lies your dilemma. You are trying to use logic to understand a decision based on emotion and fear.

Reaction Score
It's a distinction without a difference.

"Is this road closed, or just unpassable?" Either way you aren't taking the road.
I get it....but to follow your road analogy...when I lived in CO, in the winter, the Rt 70 was often closed for cars...but open for 4x4s

Looks like our season (not the NCAA season) in danger of slipping away because of these draconian 14 day rules...at some point, do your take a recommendation 'under consideration' and do what you need to so you can save the season? DePaul played someone else on the date we were scheduled and the world didn't stop spinning.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Trust in Hurley. Practice, Practice, Practice........ need to figure things out before a difficult schedule in Jan.

Playing devils advocate.

Reaction Score
Therein lies your dilemma. You are trying to use logic to understand a decision based on emotion and fear.

No. What you're trying to do is take guidelines meant for all kinds of human interactions -- business, educational, personal and athletic -- and ask why don't they work perfectly for basketball. The answer is of course they won't, because they're not designed to. They're designed to balance the interests of keeping the State as safe as possible with allowing interactions and commerce that doesn't interfere with that.

If you want to disagree with particular state policies, that's fine. Everyone is making them up as they go along and no state or municipality has made decisions they wouldn't make differently in hindsight. But asking why our guidelines aren't ideal for college sports -- when they are intended to protect more important interests -- does not help the conversation.

Reaction Score
@CTBasketball where did you see we aren’t actively pursuing games? I know we have tighter restrictions but the restrictions would not keep us from playing Xavier on the second.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I've asked this before with no answer...is the state's position a recommendation or is it the law?
No laws have been passed
They (state government administration) call it a "mandate"
If that makes sense then you are ready for a position in certain state/local governments. You can't be arrested but you can be mandated you have do something.
Kind of like it's a "mandate" that breweries in California are closed to the public BUT vineyards like the ones that the governor and current Speaker of the House owns are able to stay open to the public.

UConn needs to get as many games in as possible - still don't understand why they don't use the bubble plan - is anyone using the Mohegan Sun Arena now? Have one or two teams come in and play a couple of games a weekend.

Reaction Score
With Nova on pause, how do you feel about filling that open date with UConn vs Xavier? My thinking is that with such uncertainty about games in the coming weeks, why not knock out one of our Xavier games now. If I recall correctly, UConn was the only Big East team without a dance partner for the Jan. 2 weekend. Let's play some games while we can; gotta expect another pause in January or February unfortunately!
I’m not excited about any Uconn games anymore unfortunately. I expect them all to be cancelled. I wake up on game day’s and eventually get around to checking this board to see if the game was cancelled or not. I’ll continue to hope for the best though.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No. What you're trying to do is take guidelines meant for all kinds of human interactions -- business, educational, personal and athletic -- and ask why don't they work perfectly for basketball. The answer is of course they won't, because they're not designed to. They're designed to balance the interests of keeping the State as safe as possible with allowing interactions and commerce that doesn't interfere with that.

If you want to disagree with particular state policies, that's fine. Everyone is making them up as they go along and no state or municipality has made decisions they wouldn't make differently in hindsight. But asking why our guidelines aren't ideal for college sports -- when they are intended to protect more important interests -- does not help the conversation.

Or as I said trying to be rational on thinking over decisions made with irrational logic.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
No. UConn is making zero attempts to do short timeframe game replacements. Additionally UConn is taking a two week break away from any team who has positive tests and UConn will shut down for 14 days should any person in the UConn program test positive. You can then tack on another 5-7 days of culture building and conditioning.

This is the way. (UConn style).

Somebody watches The Mandalorian.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom