Should UConn end season as #2? | The Boneyard

Should UConn end season as #2?

Reaction Score
Even though injuries hampered UConn severely all season and extended into post-season, they beat two other #1 seeded teams in NCState and Stanford. In final end of year rankings, shouldn't UConn get #2 spot? Small consolation for losing in championship game, but still, they beat everyone they met on way to final.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Even though injuries hampered UConn severely all season and extended into post-season, they beat two other #1 seeded teams in NCState and Stanford. In final end of year rankings, shouldn't UConn get #2 spot? Small consolation for losing in championship game, but still, they beat everyone they met on way to final.
Shouldn't even be a serious question, of course they are based on the Elite 8 and FF4 wins.
But it doesn't really matter, most people don't care who ends up 2nd...or 3rd...or 4th, etc.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
if-you-aint-first-youre-last-gary-cole.gif

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter! The gap (intensity, physicality, confidence, & ability to defend) between us and South Carolina is significant. Closing that gap should be UCONN's focus regardless of where we are ranked. We need some more dawgs!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If not, who is the #2?
Theoretically you could make an argument for Louisville since they also made a deep run and lost to SC, but UCONN deserves it after getting to the title game and beating Stanford/NC State.

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't they be number 2. You seem to forget # 1 has been taken.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We need healthy dogs too!
Healthier dawgs :)eek:not dogs that is a different breed) would certainly have helped specifically Azzi, Dorka, Aubrey and Evina. As a reminder three of those 4 UCONN players were healthy when these teams played in November. The MOV for South Carolina was greater in game 1 although the rebounding margin (key to both games IMO ) was lower for SC in the first game.

Reaction Score
According to Massey, RPI and Nolan’s ELO, UConn is number 4.

The human polls will. Probably be different.

Does it matter? You are the runner up national champs. Stanford and NC State are not!

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I don’t think it really matters that much, but for sake of argument, you could IMO just as easily say Stanford was #2:

1) They had a better overall record (32-4 vs our 30-6);

2) Their SOS/NET was 3; ours was 4

3) Granted that we didn’t play lights out in the semis but we barely beat them when they played absolutely terribly. Even Geno basically said we needed their help to beat them.

Please don’t banish me now!

Reaction Score
They proved they are # 2 on the court. What better
credential? except to have won the last game. The
rest of the speculation is IMO just opinion. That's
why they play the games! Louisville may be a good
team, but... they did not make it to the Finals.
Next year will be here soon enough. The
Spin Doctors of the world need something to fill
the airways and newsprint with.
Has anyone, as of yet, seen how the Transfer
Portal and 5 th year senior musical chairs has
shaped up.??.... Stay tuned.... plenty to speculate about.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
#2. Horsefeathers!

We are either #1.0000068793 or

we are #327.

Take yer pick. Just step right up and put yer $34 bill in the jar.
There. See how easy that was? You are now entitled to use the adjacent air rifle, made entirely out of organic oleomargerine,
Ready!
Fire!
Aim.

Oh, so very sorry. Your shot missed the target, a sepia portrait combining all the most adorrrrable features of Boris Johnson, Muffet McGraw, and an Alsatian Grumpus Shepheard.

But, do not despair, my friend. We have another contest of equal existential import. The entry fee is a mere $26.35, payable

in pounds sterling, Swiss francs, bitecoin, or pectin jelly beans.
Just pay the cashier, and tell the auditor your trouser length, your fraternal grandma’s date of birth, and the number of your favorite Howdy Doody episode.

Multiply the sum of the above by pi, add your systolic B.P.,
and divide by—what else!—42.

As you exit the emporium, Coach Jumper will provide you with a Fantasyland parking validation card. It has your secret code.

PS- There's a wee grammatical-logical problem here. Your thread title question asks “Should UConn end the season…”
Given that the 2021-2022 season has already ended, you need to tell us which future season is the subject of your query.

Last edited:

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Nope. They lost the head-to-head that mattered. My algorithm puts UConn clearly in the 2 spot.

By this line of reasoning, and I am strongly suspect you will agree that it would be ridiculous, that means that Georgia Tech and Oregon should be ahead of us, as should Louisville, since we lost head-to-head games with them, and we should be tied with Villanova since we broke even with them.

We will likely have to agree to disagree but I think we should be looking at the whole body of work for the season. And I know this gets into a lot of nuances - would we have lost to GT and Oregon if we were at full strength?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
By this line of reasoning, and I am strongly suspect you will agree that it would be ridiculous, that means that Georgia Tech and Oregon should be ahead of us, as should Louisville, since we lost head-to-head games with them, and we should be tied with Villanova since we broke even with them.
What I find ridiculous is weighting a regular season game identically with a Final Four game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter! The gap (intensity, physicality, confidence, & ability to defend) between us and South Carolina is significant. Closing that gap should be UCONN's focus regardless of where we are ranked. We need some more dawgs!
I think significant is too strong a word. If DeBerry's three and Evina's three had been good, the game would have gotten a lot closer. Close the rebound and free throw gaps and UConn would be closer than what you say, imo.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom