Should UConn end season as #2? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should UConn end season as #2?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think significant is too strong a word. If DeBerry's three and Evina's three had been good, the game would have gotten a lot closer. Close the rebound and free throw gaps and UConn would be closer than what you say, imo.
The gap is significant "in the ability to defend" if you don't believe me look at the rebounding margin in the two games played. What kept this score respectable was SC is a very poor shooting team but when your defense is giving them 2 and 3 shot attempts per possession that wears on you. If you need further evidence go look at the the national defense rankings where SC is #1 in rebound margin , blocked shots... Rarely is SC outside the top 5 in any significant defensive category while UCONN is often sitting outside the top 30- 33rd in Rebound Margin. This South Carolina team was a defensive juggernaut.

Reaction Score
Imagine we're all treading water or just floating, drifting along in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. All alone, far from any land, and no rescue anywhere near... and we begin to argue about which one of us has the best driftwood to hang onto. There are bigger concerns.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Last I'm going to write on this subject - clearly what I wrote has riled some folks up.

In my defense, I never said that I thought Stanford should end the season at #2 - I said there is an argument to be made if you consider the rankings based on the performance of teams for the whole season.

Maybe there is a difference is how members of the Boneyard perceive what the end of the year rankings mean. Some, like myself, see it as trying to figure out which team was the best, which was the second best, which was the third best, etc., for the entirety of the season.

I think others, likely the majority, see it as a snap shot at the end of the season. Looking at final poll rankings for the past several years would indicate that those who vote in the polls see it this way. I think the team that lost in the championship game has always, or almost always, ending the year ranked second.

But I'd still argue that in the 2016/2017 season, UConn was a better team than Miss State, even though they upset us the semis in overtime and thus ended as second in the end of the year rankings - Miss State had five losses that year, we had one. I think that had we played them ten times during the season, we would likely have won 7 or 8 of the match-ups.

Better example would be the 2008 Super Bowl when a 6-loss Giants team (one of those losses being to New England) beat the undefeated Patriots. Yep - it was the game that mattered the most, especially given the $$ that are at stake for the winning team vs the losing team.

But I can't believe that at the end of the season, most fans thought the Giants were really the better team.

Anyways, the tournament was exhausting with most of the last games going to the wire. It was, given everything that happened to the team, a really inspiring run. See you next fall.

Reaction Score
According to Massey, RPI and Nolan’s ELO, UConn is number 4.

The human polls will. Probably be different.

Does it matter? You are the runner up national champs. Stanford and NC State are not!
Thanks! You see runner up or what ever, This team to me will always be #1. I cannot express in words what they have done for Uconn and me. I have had more pleasure than a dozen concerts from these ladies. This is MY Team. Thanks .

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Will N. Carolina be #2 if they lose to Kansas tonight? I dont know :confused:

Reaction Score
While obviously the runner up to #1 should be #2.
I doubt with the term number one and number two being related to other aspects of life, nobody will be going around chanting "we're number two, we're number two!" ;)

Reaction Score
Shouldn't even be a serious question, of course they are based on the Elite 8 and FF4 wins.
But it doesn't really matter, most people don't care who ends up 2nd...or 3rd...or 4th, etc.
Who cares; they are number one in our hearts. May they rest and recover from their considerable injuries, illnesses and general wear and tear. Players and coaches, we thank you for your service and dedication to your school and team.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Who cares; they are number one in our hearts. May they rest and recover from their considerable injuries, illnesses and general wear and tear. Players and coaches, we thank you for your service and dedication to your school and team.
You're 100% correct!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Stanford, who had a much better season.
But what were the comparative records from the time UConn had all players healthy until the end of the season? The question is who was number one or two at season's end. At one point in the season Stanford was the better team, but who won at the end?

Reaction Score
Yes, but in reality, no one ever remembers who finished 2nd in any sport.

Reaction Score
Imagine we're all treading water or just floating, drifting along in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. All alone, far from any land, and no rescue anywhere near... and we begin to argue about which one of us has the best driftwood to hang onto. There are bigger concerns.
There are NOT bigger concerns if all you have is driftwood to save you. Think of the WW2 survivors of the Cruiser Indianapolis with a piece of drift wood. At that moment there was nothing more important. It all depend on your circumstances or immediate needs.

Reaction Score
Yes, but in reality, no one ever remembers who finished 2nd in any sport.
Uconn fans shall. This is the first time in history that Uconn (Women) came in second in an NC game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are NOT bigger concerns if all you have is driftwood to save you. Think of the WW2 survivors of the Cruiser Indianapolis with a piece of drift wood. At that moment there was nothing more important. It all depend on your circumstances or immediate needs.
?.

After delivering the atomic bomb, Little Boy, to the island of Tinian, 890 of the Indianapolis’s 1195 crew members who survived the initial attack from the Japanese submarine did so wearing life jackets. Unfortunately, over 500 of that group perished waiting for rescue for 4 days, mostly from exposure, salt water poisoning and shark attacks.

Reaction Score
I'm talking about the "arguing" about driftwood "quality", the comparisons we make - my driftwood is better than your driftwood - that we think will put ourselves in better light. The point you make is in line with my thought, we NEED driftwood, each of us, and the only criteria is does it help me float.

Reaction Score
Even though injuries hampered UConn severely all season and extended into post-season, they beat two other #1 seeded teams in NCState and Stanford. In final end of year rankings, shouldn't UConn get #2 spot? Small consolation for losing in championship game, but still, they beat everyone they met on way to final.
I would like to say it doesn't matter.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Surprised #4 Louisville is ranked above #5 NC State by the coaches.
It wasn't unanimous, but Louisville won their Elite 8 game. Recency is a big factor. I agree that NC State was probably the better team, but they lost 1 round earlier.

Reaction Score
Nc state beat Louisville head to head.

nC State Won their shared conference regular season and tournament.

nC state had more wins and one less loss.

nC State played the 3d toughest schedule. Louisville played the 15TH.

I would have voted with the minority

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom