Should UConn abandon big-time college football? The question is a complex one to answer (Hearst) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should UConn abandon big-time college football? The question is a complex one to answer (Hearst)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
My opinion: UConn should try to get into the MAC for football only, to at least obtain a level of stability in terms of scheduling. Having something to play for i.e. a conference championship, gives the entire program something to aspire to. Temple football was in the same place UCONN is now in the mid-2000's. Kicked out of the Big East and seriously mulling a drop to A-10 (now CAA) Football. They joined the MAC, however, and it totally rejuvenated the program.

I think the MAC would let you guys in for football, maybe you'd have the grease them with a basketball scheduling agreement, some M/W hoops home-and-homes etc. But I think it could be a good marriage for 5-7 years. And then maybe UConn could position itself to be an attractive target for the ACC, if the ACC decided it needed to expand again. If they felt the need to get to 16, seems to me UConn and West Virginia would have inside track.
Temple was atrocious in the MAC. It doesnt make sense for us to join the MAC as we aren’t interested in the teams in that conference.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
breaking bad no more half measures GIF

There’s no saving anything with the current players or coaches. Sorry not sorry. There’s no more dead than completely dead.

Shut it down for a year and wash the stink off. Clean break. Trying to make it worth with the pieces we have is a large part of why we are here. Insanity, repetition, etc.

Do some real soul searching for the next year.

If the appetite, desire, FUNDING are there a year from now to do a PROPER reboot, commit and do it. Otherwise don’t bother. Whatever (hand waves) THIS is does harm to all of UConn every Saturday.

Should have done this during Covid but whatever.

Reaction Score
Traditional D-1 programs in the Northeast, like Syracuse and Temple, are on life support, and BC and Pitt seem have an annual ceiling of being “decent.” So flip it around, and explain why you think UConn should continue trying to play in the FBS.

Reaction Score
breaking bad no more half measures GIF

There’s no saving anything with the current players or coaches. Sorry not sorry. There’s no more dead than completely dead.

Shut it down for a year and wash the stink off. Clean break. Trying to make it worth with the pieces we have is a large part of why we are here. Insanity, repetition, etc.

Do some real soul searching for the next year.

If the appetite, desire, FUNDING are there a year from now to do a PROPER reboot, commit and do it. Otherwise don’t bother. Whatever (hand waves) THIS is does harm to all of UConn every Saturday.

Should have done this during Covid but whatever.
How much funding, coaching, commitment, etc., will be needed to attract the 4 and 5 star recruits that a program needs to be competitive in FBS? I’m thinking US military-funding level might give us a 50-50 chance of inducing prospective NFL players to spend 4 or more years in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Traditional D-1 programs in the Northeast, like Syracuse and Temple, are on life support, and BC and Pitt seem have an annual ceiling of being “decent.” So flip it around, and explain why you think UConn should continue trying to play in the FBS.
There's no reason UConn can't be a plucky 6-6 bowl participant most seasons besides horrid coaching for the past decade.

Reaction Score
Temple was atrocious in the MAC. It doesnt make sense for us to join the MAC as we aren’t interested in the teams in that conference.
That's incorrect. They may have had a bad year or two at some point during their tenure there. But when they were ATROCIOUS was during their last couple years in the Big East and when they were a I-A independent after getting kicked out. They rebuilt the program while in the MAC, were able to get re-invited to the Big East (right before the football group got re-badged as the AAC) and ultimately won an AAC title a few years back.

You may not have interest in the teams in the MAC, but is your fanbase interested in a hodgepodge schedule every year as an indy? That being said, I don't think the schedules you've put together are that bad, so far. So if you think UCONN can continue make it work as an FBS indy, so be it. But I think the stability that a conference would bring could help the program turn around.

Reaction Score
Take it to FCS and I’ll never watch UConn again or donate a dime. It’s going backwards to the podunk dump it used to be. No interest watching a Catholic rec, basketball league.
I like BE basketball, but i too have no interest in FCS football. And I've followed since I was a kid and the names were Troy Ashley, Kevin Wesley, Glen Antrum, Cornelius Benton, Matt Degenaro etc.

As a kid a dreamed of UConn going 1A. It was a fun ride to start, we were like a penny stock that shot to the moon, now we are back in Penny land. But hell $NVAX was fifty cents 3 and a half years ago, so why not us. The next hire shouldn't be a retread or a reject.

I would make an exception for Paul Johnson. He was not a failed retread unlike P and Edsall.

Vermonster

Class of 2003
Reaction Score
I know we were overachievers in the early to mid 2000s but, it is really astounding (and depressing) to see how far this program has fallen. The playbook reads like one tragedy after another. Bumbling, misguided decisions and badly misplaced trust are only some of the program's problems.

The on-field and off-field products have become a constant source of embarrassment. I went from a proud alum that would bring groups of friends from out of state for UConn football weekends to sheepishly replying to text messages from those friends highlighting the team's recent laughable attempts.

I'm glad that the basketball team has turned the corner but, I really would love to see the football program return to a competent (at least competitive) status. It's just the latest black eye for the athletic department -- and quickly becoming a disgrace for the university.

I was never on the "drop to a lower division" bandwagon until this week. There's no shame in hitting the reset button when what you are doing is (quite clearly) NOT working. Randy is not the entire problem but, continually banging our heads against a brick wall is not the answer either.

Edit: my preference is very much to stay in division 1A, if possible, but not in our current state. SOMETHING needs to change. Maybe everything? I don't pretend to have all the answers... I'm just sick of what we've become

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We are not going down to FCS. We would lose even more money at that level. Also, we are not playing a level below UMass, Syracuse, Pitt, or Boston College. The ACC will get raided by either the B1G or SEC or both in the next decade giving us a natural home.

Reaction Score

-> UConn: It’s time to have the conversation about why UConn football exists in its current form. This is a school that cares about basketball so much it was willing to sacrifice football’s affiliation with the American Athletic Conference and go it alone as an independent so basketball could slide into the Big East.

At first, UConn fans talked themselves into this being an appealing option for football. But we don’t need to pretend anymore that it’s true. As we’ve seen since then, independence is an abject disaster for UConn, which reached another low Saturday in a 38-28 loss to Holy Cross.

What are you doing here, UConn? What are you trying to accomplish by staying in the Football Bowl Subdivision when every bit of evidence suggests this experiment leads only to lots of bad losses and getting made fun of relentlessly on Twitter? Be who you are as a basketball school and either park your football program in FCS, where it can compete, or drop the sport entirely. If you’re going to lose to the likes of Holy Cross, it’s far less embarrassing to do it when you’re in the same weight class. <-

Reaction Score

-> UConn: It’s time to have the conversation about why UConn football exists in its current form. This is a school that cares about basketball so much it was willing to sacrifice football’s affiliation with the American Athletic Conference and go it alone as an independent so basketball could slide into the Big East.

At first, UConn fans talked themselves into this being an appealing option for football. But we don’t need to pretend anymore that it’s true. As we’ve seen since then, independence is an abject disaster for UConn, which reached another low Saturday in a 38-28 loss to Holy Cross.

What are you doing here, UConn? What are you trying to accomplish by staying in the Football Bowl Subdivision when every bit of evidence suggests this experiment leads only to lots of bad losses and getting made fun of relentlessly on Twitter? Be who you are as a basketball school and either park your football program in FCS, where it can compete, or drop the sport entirely. If you’re going to lose to the likes of Holy Cross, it’s far less embarrassing to do it when you’re in the same weight class. <-

Where are the ranked Huskies which lost to FCS Montana?

Reaction Score
We are not going down to FCS. We would lose even more money at that level. Also, we are not playing a level below UMass, Syracuse, Pitt, or Boston College. The ACC will get raided by either the B1G or SEC or both in the next decade giving us a natural home.
I think so many people fail to realize this: Clemson and FSU will not be in the ACC in a decade. WVU is lined up to take one of those spots. UConn just needs to be competent in football and they get that second spot. That's it. That's the game here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Edsall was a decent coach who the game has completely past by, and UConn is still digging out of the catastrophic decision to stay in the AAC after Louisville left. It would take a good young coach to turn this program around after the damage Diaco, Edsall and the AAC have done. NIL should make a turnaround easier, and an aggressive young coach that was willing to work the transfer portal could get us back on our feet in a couple of years.

It comes down to what UConn wants to do.

Reaction Score
Edsall was a decent coach who the game has completely past by, and UConn is still digging out of the catastrophic decision to stay in the AAC after Louisville left. It would take a good young coach to turn this program around after the damage Diaco, Edsall and the AAC have done. NIL should make a turnaround easier, and an aggressive young coach that was willing to work the transfer portal could get us back on our feet in a couple of years.

It comes down to what UConn wants to do.
So you think the problem with FB is that it didn't go independent sooner?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Where are the ranked Huskies which lost to FCS Montana?
hey! u can't state the obvious here! lotsa fcs wins recently. i mean, isn't every setback for UConn always the worst thing ever in the history of ever?
they should send a case of xanax when they collect the cash for a season ticket purchase for any sport, or at least to any new member of the by.
mebbe one of these, too.
27540613_2064763413745872_8381577443739645051_n-560x420.jpg

Reaction Score
I think so many people fail to realize this: Clemson and FSU will not be in the ACC in a decade. WVU is lined up to take one of those spots. UConn just needs to be competent in football and they get that second spot. That's it. That's the game here.
No, that will never happen! They'll take Temple, Buffalo, Charlotte, Appalachian State, UAB, Southern Miss, FAU, FIU, Georgia State, Tulane, UTSA or UMass ahead of us! Conference realignment rule #1!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So you think the problem with FB is that it didn't go independent sooner?

Absolutely. The AAC killed all three of our major revenue programs. Being in a southern mid-major conference killed our recruiting for years. Thank God we switched leagues in time to save the two basketball programs, but it may be too late for football. If it wasn't for NIL, I would say football is hopeless, but NIL gives us a chance if we want to take it.

Reaction Score
How exactly does NIL give us a chance?

Major college football is played at the P5 conference level. I think the Big 12 survives through expansion and in the process creates a larger gap between P5 and G5. The Big 12 is taking 4 of the best G5 programs and will probably add Boise St and USF in the future. UConn could have at least been in consideration for the Big 12 if we had stayed in the AAC. Dropping out was a clear signal that we are not interested in playing big time football.

The ACC isn’t going anywhere and none of their teams are leaving for other conferences. The same goes for the PAC 12. That new Alliance will most likely lead to a massive TV deal in a few years. One TV contract for 41 teams with a national footprint. BC, Pitt & SU are all going to benefit from the Alliance. The transfer portal is also a big help to them. BC landed a top QB via the portal. BC has a very good coach, Pitt has a decent coach and SU needs a new coach. For teams on their level it’s all about coaching at this point. They have the right conference affiliation that gets them 35 million per year and growing to probably 50 million plus they all have excellent facilities.

Clearly, Cincinnati got it right by staying in the AAC. They hired the right coach and survived in the shadow of tOSU. The Big 12 is a better hoops conference than the BE.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom