Should UConn abandon big-time college football? The question is a complex one to answer (Hearst) | The Boneyard

Should UConn abandon big-time college football? The question is a complex one to answer (Hearst)

Reaction Score
… and away we go. Figure out a way to read it - too long to just cut/paste excepts from BOT Toscano, Benedict, sports economists, etc…

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I am absolutely not a Randy apologista but these articles do absolutely zero to help the program. It just adds to the already long list of challenges facing the coach/staff of this program- whoever that is.

UConn shouldn’t and isn’t “abandoning big time football”. The honest to God truth is UConn has never financially committed to being truly competitive at football. The men’s basketball staff of 4 made more than the football staff in 2017 when Randy was brought in (not sure about now but likely still true). That’s absolutely outrageous. I don’t care how good the hoops program is at ANY school- paying 4 people less than paying 11 is almost impossible.

Whoever they bring in next- if they don’t get the administrative support (including Board of Directors, President, Governor, and AD) needed in addition to the financial commitment needed they're going to be doomed. UConn needs to provide serious support from the top down in order to succeed. No more trying to win with duct tape and patches. Take some damn pride in the program and fund it for it to succeed.

Reaction Score
I feel like one of the biggest problem is the academic standards. we're pretending to be Stanford.
Yes UCONN is a good school but you all think you are better than you really are! Let in Athletes like Temple

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
It pisses me off how lazy the “journalists” are covering this program. Instead of rewriting the same article over and over again maybe actually write an insightful critique of the program and how it can improve going forward. Or reach out to the former players currently going off on twitter on what they’d do differently. These writers are the worst

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
It pisses me off how lazy the “journalists” are covering this program. Instead of rewriting the same article over and over again maybe actually write an insightful critique of the program and how it can improve going forward. Or reach out to the former players currently going off on twitter on what they’d do differently. These writers are the worst
Legit journalism is dead. It's all clickbait now.

Reaction Score
it’s time to dump the program. Save the school some money. Lmao Holy Cross

Reaction Score
No, don’t do it…but I do understand the sentiment from non-biased/non-UConn people and do think it may be a reality in 5-10 years if this is still a dumpster fire. At that point, it may be worth joining an FCS league and admitting defeat but we have to see independence through for at least 5.

It’s tough to admit as a long time supporter of both basketball and football programs but the truth is is that we are in SERIOUS trouble with the football program. I loved the NBE move because we are a basketball school, but we don’t have the clout or financial stability for real independence success (at least in the way we envision it). Sure, we will get a decent schedule but I truly don’t believe it will help much long term. We won’t get the recruits successful independents get because while we are recruiting better let’s be honest…we aren’t getting huge diff makers here. Talking to friends of other programs that have us scheduled (UNC, OSU, etc) we are looked at as an easy OOC game to rest some regulars and get people playing time. It’s sad. We are not taken seriously. Why would we be? Outside of a half decade to a decade 10-15 years ago we have never been relevant, have no real history. We can hope all we want some young FCS guy will turn this around, but what support does/will that person truly have and how long will they stick around? If they are any good they will most likely get called up to a bigger FBS program and we start from scratch again. It’s tough enough with where we are geographic wise for football recruits, etc and general interest but add in the lack of a conference with bowl tie ins, history, financial support it may be too big of a hill to climb. I hate saying this, but I think our best years are behind us and even our best years were the results of a severely weakened/watered down BE. It’s just reality. Yes we beat ND but that was ND’s worst period in decades. Yes we won the BE but it was a very weak/bad BE. The sooner we accept reality the better. I don’t think we should drop down, but I do understand the sentiment and would understand if they did in 5 years or so.

I’d love to be wrong, but I just think it may be too big of a hill to climb. No conf to count on, bad geographic area, no real history, financial issues, etc.

Reaction Score
I would appreciate if someone would please post or message me the above referenced CTinsider article ”Should UConn abandon big-time college football? The question is a complex one to answer” referenced above in this thread.

thanks.

Reaction Score
It's a PR campaign by those who'd like to see the program nuked (for whatever reason (I've assumed primarily driven by resources and annoyance that football messed with Conference alignment, not just for UConn, but in general), which seems to include most of the basketball first members of the media).

Of course then again, has basketball sold 18,000 seats for a low-level game, particularly after a few down seasons? (Let alone a run as dreadful as the last decade of football) This noise will only get louder, until/unless a change is made and results are seen. The program probably only has one last chance to get it right.

Reaction Score
My opinion: UConn should try to get into the MAC for football only, to at least obtain a level of stability in terms of scheduling. Having something to play for i.e. a conference championship, gives the entire program something to aspire to. Temple football was in the same place UCONN is now in the mid-2000's. Kicked out of the Big East and seriously mulling a drop to A-10 (now CAA) Football. They joined the MAC, however, and it totally rejuvenated the program.

I think the MAC would let you guys in for football, maybe you'd have the grease them with a basketball scheduling agreement, some M/W hoops home-and-homes etc. But I think it could be a good marriage for 5-7 years. And then maybe UConn could position itself to be an attractive target for the ACC, if the ACC decided it needed to expand again. If they felt the need to get to 16, seems to me UConn and West Virginia would have inside track.

Reaction Score
It's a PR campaign by those who'd like to see the program nuked
Too late. The coaches beat us to it.

MoeStooge.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member