Should there be a NIL salary cap? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should there be a NIL salary cap?

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Super easy to understand if they didn't call them NIL and just called them endorsement deals.
Of course, as so often around here, you are both correct and incorrect.

At the heart of the battle, athletes were claiming an independent ownership right over their Names, Images and Likenesses. This is what the courts decided. They do have a superceding right to NIL.

Thus enshrining that arcane terminology into common discourse.

Still, it would be so much simpler to comprehend it to mean endorsements, however they may be derived.

Reaction Score
It's capitalism...Whoever has the capital wins...
Want to win more, get more capital. Need more capital, get more investors. Investors=boosters.
Ok but never complain about teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Manchester City buying wins.

Reaction Score
Ok but never complain about teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Manchester City buying wins.
The Yankees (and Red Sox) can't buy wins to save their life, no matter how much they spend! .

I'm not saying it's fair either.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The NIL experiment looks like an arms race that is about to get put of control. It not only has the potential to disrupt the economic viability of athletic departments, it could start gobbling up resources university wide.

I am huge fan of capitalism but public universities serve a different purpose. NIL was developed to stop the exploitation of student-athletes. The shoe is now firmly on the the other foot. Student-athletes are now in position to start exploiting universities.

The most certain result of any human activity is unintended consequences. We are watching that play out with NIL. A salary cap would prevent NIL from turning into a run away black hole. It isn't there yet. Let's hope some adults at the university level notice the warning signs and apply a ounce of prevention.
Ok, who hacked Palatine's account?

Salary cap? Never thought I'd see the day you advocated against free market principles.

Reaction Score
The facade of amateurism was over when schools & conferences started entering into multi-billion dollar TV contracts. Why should the schools, coaches and networks all share in the profits of the college basketball ecosystem but the athletes who play get nothing?
The large majority of athletic programs run at a deficit in the tens of $millions. The revenue generated by a select few sports is not even close to the full story. For most programs, revenue generating sports only partially offset the costs of running other sports.

And the coaches were never expected to be volunteers. They’re professionals and schools wisely invest in them to generate revenue & successfully coach students/teams.

College sports is supposed to be amateur athletics - not a professional sports league. There was nothing wrong with that and it benefitted the athletes most of all.

Unlimited NIL threatens the existence of it & I think the NCAA should put guardrails on it for eligibility. For those that think it’s unfair, find a pro sports league that’ll pay the athletes straight out of high school. That’s not what college sports is.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The large majority of athletic programs run at a deficit in the tens of $millions. The revenue generated by a select few sports is not even close to the full story. For most programs, revenue generating sports only partially offset the costs of running other sports.

And the coaches were never expected to be volunteers. They’re professionals and schools wisely invest in them to generate revenue & successfully coach students/teams.

College sports is supposed to be amateur athletics - not a professional sports league. There was nothing wrong with that and it benefitted the athletes most of all.

Unlimited NIL threatens the existence of it & I think the NCAA should put guardrails on it for eligibility. For those that think it’s unfair, find a pro sports league that’ll pay the athletes straight out of high school. That’s not what college sports is.
Nobody is paying them to play! Do you agree they can get a job at McDonald's and be a college athlete at the same time? If so, can they also get a job doing a commercial for Dunkin Donuts? Pitching Gatorade on their Instagram or TikTok? Maybe selling Instagram or TikTok ads for fitness attire they like? That's what this is.

By the way, this same issue arose for Olympic athletes, when they were required to be "amateurs". It's one thing to pay them to play the sport, that's pro vs amateur. It's another thing to pay them for their fame, that should not impact amateur status. That's especially true now, when kids like Cooper Flagg are famous without any association with a college team. Paige was as well.

Reaction Score
Nobody is paying them to play! Do you agree they can get a job at McDonald's and be a college athlete at the same time? If so, can they also get a job doing a commercial for Dunkin Donuts? Pitching Gatorade on their Instagram or TikTok? Maybe selling Instagram or TikTok ads for fitness attire they like? That's what this is.

By the way, this same issue arose for Olympic athletes, when they were required to be "amateurs". It's one thing to pay them to play the sport, that's pro vs amateur. It's another thing to pay them for their fame, that should not impact amateur status. That's especially true now, when kids like Cooper Flagg are famous without any association with a college team. Paige was as well.

I’m sorry. NIL is being used to pay players to play. Isn’t that was Mora was talking about? - you can’t compete if you don’t have the money to do that?

No, I don’t have a problem with athletes getting a job or getting paid for a commercial. But it’s problematic when it’s abused as a back door way to pay for recruits.

This thread is about whether there should be limits. I thing having guardrails around it for eligibility is necessary.

Reactions: OEX

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

If Rutgers can’t figure out how to turn a profit with a $50 million per year TV contract, that’s on them.

The reason most don’t “turn a profit” is because they are public institutions whose nature is to spend every penny (and often more) that they bring in.

If the TV contracts went away tomorrow, all of these universities would be massively scaling back their athletic departments and cutting programs.

The athletes who are allowing these universities to reap the rewards of massive TV contracts should be entitled to get a cut of the money that’s sloshing around college athletics.

I’d generally agree it would be good if the NCAA put guardrails in place to prevent portal tampering / pay to play, but we all know that even if they did they wouldn’t enforce it. Or if they did it would be programs like UConn that bear the brunt of the punishments.

Schools like Kansas and Duke had been paying recruits for years before it was legal and the NCAA turned a blind eye. I don’t see how attempting to “regulate” NIL will be any thing more than a facade.

Kids finally being able to get paid for the value they provide the universities, the NCAA and the media partners is a great thing that shouldn’t be restricted when the “amateur” ship sailed long ago.

The last couple of seasons we have seen the most parity in recent memory in college sports. That’s a good thing, not a bad thing IMO. And a lot of that was driven by NIL and the portal (and covid years).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m sorry. NIL is being used to pay players to play. Isn’t that was Mora was talking about? - you can’t compete if you don’t have the money to do that?

No, I don’t have a problem with athletes getting a job or getting paid for a commercial. But it’s problematic when it’s abused as a back door way to pay for recruits.

This thread is about whether there should be limits. I thing having guardrails around it for eligibility is necessary.
No. They can’t pay them to play. What boosters can do is promise them endorsement deals, often at more than fair value, to induce them to go to that school. You can put guardrails on that, maybe, if you can figure out how without limiting the legitimate deals.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Should it be "a NIL salary cap" or "an NIL salary cap"? I still get confused...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom