Should the season take a pause? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should the season take a pause?

What should be done with the rest of the WCBB season?

• Continue as is

Votes: 77 68.1%
  • Pause for 3-4 weeks, or more as needed

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Cancel it

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
A one or two month hiatus would come and go and the same public health factors would still be in play, so play on.
I think this is true. One problem is that significant relief from the virus is still several months away. That timeline just doesn't solve the problem for a sport that normally ends it's season in March. Better to try to finish this as best they can.

Reaction Score
I think this is true. One problem is that significant relief from the virus is still several months away. That timeline just doesn't solve the problem for a sport that normally ends it's season in March. Better to try to finish this as best they can.
Why does it have to end in March? Nothing else about this year is normal.

Reaction Score
How exactly do you propose we have 3000 players and 500+ coaches decide?

You know, the virus is shutting down the season on its own. So many teams have "paused" basketball activities, and according to the Washington Post, over 6,000 Division I athletes have tested positive since this began.

Could be that the season just fizzles out as the virus spreads. No actual decision by the leagues needed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You know, the virus is shutting down the season on its own. So many teams have "paused" basketball activities, and according to the Washington Post, over 6,000 Division I athletes have tested positive since this began.

Could be that the season just fizzles out as the virus spreads. No actual decision by the leagues needed.
Don't think the season will be allowed to fizzle because of the pot of goal at the end of the rainbow know as Mens NCAA tournament. The NCAA Men's tournament is the main source of revenue which funds most athletic scholarship. Fortunately the NCAA had a cancellation insurance policy last year. It is unclear if a similar insurance policy exists in the event of cancellation of the tournament this season thus the NCAA will do everything possible to make the tournament happen.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
it was 30+% of the ranked team games postponed (5 out of 16.) It will be interesting to see whether the various conferences can actually complete their full complement of league games and have a full conference tournament prior to the scheduled NCAA. As Geno says, his only concern right now is the #13 - minimum games played for consideration for NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
There seems to be this pervasive assumption that playing the season puts players at a greater risk of contracting Covid, when exactly the opposite is true.

Cancel the season, remove the players from their protective cocoon, and send them back into the real world that we all are dealing with.

Does anyone here really think that’s the answer?

Keep them on their teams, safe.

Reaction Score
Pretty simple, like Duke , each team decides for itself....got it?
If you read my initial post it involved pushing the entire tournament back. That can’t be decided on a team by team basis.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There seems to be this pervasive assumption that playing the season puts players at a greater risk of contracting Covid, when exactly the opposite is true.
Cancel the season, remove the players from their protective cocoon, and send them back into the real world that we all are dealing with.
Does anyone here really think that’s the answer?
Keep them on their teams, safe.
My creative writing professor would accuse you of creating one straw man to prop up another. Why not cancel the games and keep the players in their cocoons instead of sending them home? AKA exactly what Duke WBB is doing.

Reaction Score
If you read my initial post it involved pushing the entire tournament back. That can’t be decided on a team by team basis.
Last reply, if a team suspends their season, I am assuming ( Ivy League) would not be eligible for any NCAA tournament, regardless of when. The men have chosen a bubble format and the women will do likewise in Texas.

Reaction Score
Last reply, if a team suspends their season, I am assuming ( Ivy League) would not be eligible for any NCAA tournament, regardless of when. The men have chosen a bubble format and the women will do likewise in Texas.
The thread is about the NCAA declaring a pause.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Last that I heard is that they are looking at a bubble format for the women, but haven't said it is going to be in Texas yet.

Reaction Score
Villanova game on Saturday postponed.

Listen to any CFB analyst or coach about what the fall was like with the constant level of uncertainty and change. It took a toll on players (and coaches).

Reaction Score
My creative writing professor would accuse you of creating one straw man to prop up another. Why not cancel the games and keep the players in their cocoons instead of sending them home? AKA exactly what Duke WBB is doing.

I would agree with you if players are catching the virus from an opponent during a game but the fact is that the virus is being transmitted in the cocoon environment you say is safe. Can you name even one proven case of a player catching the virus from an opponent?
It's not the games that are risky, it's what happens away from the court. Mulkey caught it at home. UConn's pause was due to someone catching the virus away from the school.
Let's stop with the wild assumptions that games are the danger.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would agree with you if players are catching the virus from an opponent during a game but the fact is that the virus is being transmitted in the cocoon environment you say is safe. Can you name even one proven case of a player catching the virus from an opponent?
It's not the games that are risky, it's what happens away from the court. Mulkey caught it at home. UConn's pause was due to someone catching the virus away from the school.
Let's stop with the wild assumptions that games are the danger.
Where are you getting this? I never ever said players are safe in their cocoons.
Why are you so obsessed with Mulkey and where she caught the virus? IDC.

Reaction Score
Where are you getting this? I never ever said players are safe in their cocoons.
Why are you so obsessed with Mulkey and where she caught the virus? IDC.
COCO: "Why not cancel the games and keep the players in their cocoons instead of sending them home?"

Now who is trying to create side issues to divert the discussion? If Baylor cancelled their season a month ago Mulkey still would have tested positive. The danger is off the court not on it. But keep dodging that fact if you like. It's fun watching you dance around this.
If there are no games then what is the point of a cocoon? Are basketball players any more susceptible than other on-campus students? The whole point of cocoons is to allow play. No play, no cocoons, just like the rest of us.
Or do you support sending them home? Where is the evidence that is safer? The fact you keep missing is that the danger is greater for a non-scholarship student right now and yet you want the players put into that same environment to keep them safe?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I will repeat a point that Vowelguy made a few posts back....

This thread is about the NCAA declaring a pause. In fact it's a poll. I thought it might be a thread relating to Covid that might survive here but it is twisting into arguments about the relative benefits of various Covid abatement techniques and is likely going to quickly go over the edge.

I'm sorry we have so little actual game action to discuss but please steer clear of going down the Covid drain.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The NBA issuing new COVID protocols as well as contemplating an extended pause returning to bubble and this news of multiple players testing positive for a second time (months apart) is disturbing and yet another illustration of what we don't know about this virus. An extended pause for NCAA basketball would also be prudent.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom