Should Moriah Jefferson be added to the Team USA Olympic pool? | The Boneyard

Should Moriah Jefferson be added to the Team USA Olympic pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will answer my own question: 100% YES.

Who better to explain my rationale than the ultimate wordsmith himself:

“Though she be but little, she is fierce!”
– William Shakespeare

The backdrop, context, environment...whatever you want to call it...that Moriah Jefferson's talents have been displayed against/within were simply unprecedented. You really can't fault anyone for underappreciating the 'optics' of Moriah Jefferson impact.

The first word that comes to mind in describing her is: 'impeccableness.' I mean, the fact that I'm seeing a red underline right now beneath the word 'impeccableness' is very telling—even spellcheck doesn't like it! But think about it—the quickest thing we've seen in WCBB in years, but it's her 'impeccableness' that stands out.

Her numbers speak volumes, but they don't even remotely tell the whole story. Remember *that layup* she made? I could watch a replay and still not know what's going on (yet recognize it was no lucky fluke and she knew precisely what was doing), but I'll try:

IIRC, she was kinda coming from the right side of the court (at 100 mph, but that goes without saying), some combination of spinning and reversing took place, then she finishes on the left side of the hoop with her right hand. Perfectly timed—a tiny fraction of a second being the only difference between her Marcus Paige-esque layup and a disastrously jamming the ball into the bottom of the backboard).

If it were up to me—admittedly, a bit of a risk-taker—I would pick Moriah Jefferson over Sue Bird. (That said, Bird will be selected and could probably lead the team to the gold medal in her sleep by now, especially with the additions of Elena Delle Donne and Brittney Griner—two totally different players, but both often unguardable on offense and on defensive end...well, for starters, they both are capable of goaltending.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She is 'impeccable' a very nice word.
She is also very young in the ways of international competition and professional basketball. Her chance will come, but not with this Olympics but with the 2018 WC team trials. The only exposure she has had to that level of competition was the PanAm games last year and she did very well, against the middle of the pack of international teams. Canada will struggle to get into the Olympic medal rounds and they were by far the best team at the PanAms. Give her two years of pro ball and of playing internationally and she will be ready - right now she is not.

Reaction Score
She is 'impeccable' a very nice word.
She is also very young in the ways of international competition and professional basketball. Her chance will come, but not with this Olympics but with the 2018 WC team trials. The only exposure she has had to that level of competition was the PanAm games last year and she did very well, against the middle of the pack of international teams. Canada will struggle to get into the Olympic medal rounds and they were by far the best team at the PanAms. Give her two years of pro ball and of playing internationally and she will be ready - right now she is not.

I may very well just be drunk from all that confetti! ;-P

I didn't watch the PanAms so you bring up good points and have extra insight.

It'll certainly be interest to keep tabs on. Earlier this season it seemed like folks were 50/50 about Stewart making it to Rio, but Doris Burke sounded like she had already put down good money on her getting selected, lol! Two fresh-out-of-college grads Parker & Fowles made the '08 team, and I think the latter really tore it up, right? and IIRC, the only thing between Wiggins and making it 3 fresh grads was Kara Lawson during selections. I think the Moriah addition just sprung into my head b/c of the assumption that perhaps they decide to invest some valuable experience in a young PG. Sims was that PG a couple years ago at the World Champs, seemingly being picked over Diggins. But both had some setbacks (Skylar's ACL, Sims some less serious injuries and a pretty big outside shooting % drop) last year.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
No, there are good if not great guards in the WNBA that have not made the team yet. Let Moriah play in the WNBA for a year or two then make the roster of players who are being considered for the 2018 World Championships and 2020 Olympics.

My original thoughts was similar with Breanna Stewart, great college players and successful as a player at all levels of USA Basketball. Her teams didn't always win the Gold Medal, but she played well against Pro Players at her young age. I thought she also should play in the WNBA for a year or two and then make the 2018 World Championship and 2020 Olympic team. But then Kara Lawson said the other day, when Breanna enters the WNBA it was her opinion that she WILL be one of the Ten Best Players in the League from Day one. If in fact she is one of the 10 best players in the WNBA, then she should be on the SR team for the Rio Olympics. But in this day and age of political correctness, it would be easier for all if she doesn't make the team and take a player with more WNBA and International Experience. Whether its Stewie or another player, it shouldn't matter when it comes to winning the Gold Medal.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think Breanna actually got very fortunate breaks in being selected for the WC team because of injures to a number of players that would have been in front of her for selection, and given that exposure in 2014 has moved her from possible to highly likely for Rio. She really wasn't ready in 2014, but by working with the team then has moved forward rapidly. (Maya wasn't really ready for her WC debut as a college kid either, but got the same bump in become ready for the following Olympic team.)

I do think USA basketball has yet to find its 'next' PG - I think Van Chancellor predicted it would be Renee her senior year, but she has not made that leap, nor has anyone else except Whalen who is now too old to be more than a possible stop gap for a few years after Sue. There are a number of good guards in the WNBA, but USA PG is a really different position than anyone plays on their WNBA team or on any overseas team because of the incredible quality they are surrounded by. I think Moriah has as good a chance as anyone at becoming that 'next' player but in some ways I am glad she has not been put into the trials yet - better to arrive with a little better chance of success, than fail arriving too early.

HGN

Reaction Score
No , I don't think Mo should be added at this late date........The other guards competing for a spot , all WNBA vets , are way ahead in training and practice. Give Mo some time to develop her skills , get stronger ,
and get some more international experience and you will be looking at the next PG on the Olympic team.

JMHO.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think Breanna actually got very fortunate breaks in being selected for the WC team because of injures to a number of players that would have been in front of her for selection, and given that exposure in 2014 has moved her from possible to highly likely for Rio. She really wasn't ready in 2014, but by working with the team then has moved forward rapidly. (Maya wasn't really ready for her WC debut as a college kid either, but got the same bump in become ready for the following Olympic team.)

I do think USA basketball has yet to find its 'next' PG - I think Van Chancellor predicted it would be Renee her senior year, but she has not made that leap, nor has anyone else except Whalen who is now too old to be more than a possible stop gap for a few years after Sue. There are a number of good guards in the WNBA, but USA PG is a really different position than anyone plays on their WNBA team or on any overseas team because of the incredible quality they are surrounded by. I think Moriah has as good a chance as anyone at becoming that 'next' player but in some ways I am glad she has not been put into the trials yet - better to arrive with a little better chance of success, than fail arriving too early.

That article on ESPN about USA basketball needing to find it's next PG seemed to me to tee it up perfectly for Moriah to come in and get the job in 2020 because they are basically signalling that they think none of the other current candidates (Sims, D-Rob, Sloot, January, Diggins) have what it takes.

There's no way they could add Moriah Jefferson to the Olympic team pool (could you imagine how enraged the anti-UConn crowd would be?). But even if they could, I don't think it would be the right move. Those other players have proven themselves against professional talent. Jefferson hasn't. I don't have any doubt she will, but most players suffer through an adjustment period when they get to the WNBA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I agree that, because she hasn't played with the senior team, she is not ready. But you could tell from her expression when Team USA practiced that she wanted to be there. Look for her in 2020 for sure. There has been some question as to who is the heir apparent to Sue Bird. The answer is simple--the great little one who followed her 14 years later at UConn.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FWIW I agree with the folks who said "no" for 2016. But I can see her being invited to team tryouts for the 2018 WC's, and given she will have a year or 2 in the pro's at that time, I think she will be ready. She's a pure PG who can score. Very few of those.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
FWIW I agree with the folks who said "no" for 2016. But I can see her being invited to team tryouts for the 2018 WC's, and given she will have a year or 2 in the pro's at that time, I think she will be ready. She's a pure PG who can score. Very few of those.
Moriah has skills and a motor that others don't. Pencil her in for 2018.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I don't envy the decisions the committee has to make... injuries and "transition of tradition" will come in to play.

Guards: Sue, Whalen, Sloot, Sims, Diana
Mids: Maya, Augustus, Parker, Catch, Dupree, Angel
Bigs: Delle Donne, Tina, BG, Big Sly, Breanna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members