Should ESPN tell the American to make a football only deal with UConn? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Should ESPN tell the American to make a football only deal with UConn?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In an odd twist, if UConn was to play football only in AAC, would that make the UConn fanbase more likely to go to football games? Would it actually increase interest/intensity in rooting against AAC opponents because we gave them the finger by moving our good sports out and sticking them with football?

Reaction Score
Someone at ESPN must read the BY about football at Fenway.

New Bowl game announced for Boston at Fenway..2020-25.

Will be ACC vs ??

The league will do away with its previous tier structure, The conference and bowl games will make the bowl selections based on “geographic proximity, avoiding repeat appearances and matchups and regular-season won-loss records.”

The emphasis on geographic proximity is a relatively new....Bowl could open opportunities for an area independent like UMass or UConn.

The game was previously announced as ACC vs AAC back in April. Fenway Park to Host Bowl Game Between ACC and AAC Teams

Are you seeing something new somewhere that says it’s no longer ACC vs AAC?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
i feel bad for that guy, invite him to play us at the xl center in 2021.
In exchange for a football h&h? Sure.

CL82

Reaction Score
What, no love for Rutgers? They're just as able to provide a loss lol.
I'd definitely shoot for an RU series. The more regional games the better and RU has been very nearly (though not quite) as bad as we are.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I heard some chirps today that we might not want to stay in the AAC for football afterall. We might explore the idea - might act like we have some interest (per Benedict's quote) - but the administration is quite content with the prospects of an independent schedule. The phone has been ringing with some good opportunities. Your northern universities - the ones that are real schools still want to play programs that are also real schools.

Reaction Score
Love the optimism.
Pretty soon we’ll move off of being independent to “headed for Big”.

Can’t wait for that phase. The folks saying they want a steady diet of Lehigh, Holy Cross, Buffalo, umass, and other big regional rivalries are getting stale.

We’re coming off a historically bad year, preceded by a stretch of really bad seasons. If we have FBS football in 10 years, it’s because some miracle or two.

Sorry. Momentary lapse of reality.

Can’t wait until Ohio State is playing at the rent? Do we bring back the expandable seating like Michigan? Or do we just do the expansion now. Not sure if anyone knows, but The Rent.was designed for expansion.

But we already are Big! Didn't you see the electronic billboards telling you so?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It just occurred to me that the most telling part of the whole deal is the SNY vs ESPN+ element. True, the womens fans will be ecstatic that they get to keep their excellent SNY coverage, with the Geno show and the specials. Men's BB is glad we're not going to occasionally get stuck on ESPN+.

At first glance, you'd think the football team might be glad that all 12 games will be on SNY, unless some national network wants certain games vs big time national opponents. Wow. But SNY is a regional cable TV sports network. It gets you metro NYC, including North Jersey and CT, but that's it.

For the rest of the country, if you want SNY, you have maybe two choices, Directv TV, where you pay extra for a premium pack of sports channels from throughout the country to get it, or maybe some streaming video service that has it. I've seen a couple mentions of that here, but I thought I saw someone mention that YouTube TV has it, but it's only available in the NYC metro area. If that's true, and nobody else streams SNY to cities like Cincinnati, Detroit, Atlanta, Austin, San Diego and Seattle, then football is the only big loser here.

It seems that Herbst's speech about Husky fans used to being able to watch UConn games by getting together at a restaurant with TV or a sports bar was largely directed at BB fans, men's or women's. She either had no understanding of what this means for football's exposure on TV, or she doesn't care anyway. If she doesn't care anyway, I'm afraid that she's just expecting the football team to mark time before it's killed, and we're all never going to see them run out of that tunnel again at PAWS-ARF.

The bitter irony here is that Herbst already compromised the football program's future by hiring "Donuts" Manuel, and his worthless pal Bobby Diablo, then doubled down on the incompetence by hiring Benedict. If your goal was to kill UConn football, you're looking at the master plan orchesrated by our outgoing administration.

How it all could have been different if she and Manuel would have minded the store instead of sitting by and watching that worm Jurich wriggle his way into the ACC. How a school with a football team that just went to a BCS Fiesta Bowl eight years ago is about to kill that football team forever, is a story sportswriters will love writing for many years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At first glance, you'd think the football team might be glad that all 12 games will be on SNY

UConn only controls TV rights for their home games. Whoever UConn plays will control their TV rights and games are broadcast per their contract.

Did SNY ever produce UConn football or did they buy games from ESPN?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn only controls TV rights for their home games. Whoever UConn plays will control their TV rights and games are broadcast per their contract.

I believe they produced games for UConn in past as well as picking up some games from ESPN.

Reaction Score
It just occurred to me that the most telling part of the whole deal is the SNY vs ESPN+ element. True, the womens fans will be ecstatic that they get to keep their excellent SNY coverage, with the Geno show and the specials. Men's BB is glad we're not going to occasionally get stuck on ESPN+.

At first glance, you'd think the football team might be glad that all 12 games will be on SNY, unless some national network wants certain games vs big time national opponents. Wow. But SNY is a regional cable TV sports network. It gets you metro NYC, including North Jersey and CT, but that's it.

For the rest of the country, if you want SNY, you have maybe two choices, Directv TV, where you pay extra for a premium pack of sports channels from throughout the country to get it, or maybe some streaming video service that has it. I've seen a couple mentions of that here, but I thought I saw someone mention that YouTube TV has it, but it's only available in the NYC metro area. If that's true, and nobody else streams SNY to cities like Cincinnati, Detroit, Atlanta, Austin, San Diego and Seattle, then football is the only big loser here.

It seems that Herbst's speech about Husky fans used to being able to watch UConn games by getting together at a restaurant with TV or a sports bar was largely directed at BB fans, men's or women's. She either had no understanding of what this means for football's exposure on TV, or she doesn't care anyway. If she doesn't care anyway, I'm afraid that she's just expecting the football team to mark time before it's killed, and we're all never going to see them run out of that tunnel again at PAWS-ARF.

The bitter irony here is that Herbst already compromised the football program's future by hiring "Donuts" Manuel, and his worthless pal Bobby Diablo, then doubled down on the incompetence by hiring Benedict. If your goal was to kill UConn football, you're looking at the master plan orchesrated by our outgoing administration.

How it all could have been different if she and Manuel would have minded the store instead of sitting by and watching that worm Jurich wriggle his was into the ACC. How a school with a football team that just went to a BCS Fiesta Bowl eight years ago is about to kill that football team forever, is a story sportswriters will love writing for many years.

I get SNY in Boston, and in the metro west area.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Yes, you're right Hank, but if we play 5-6 home games per year, unless a few of them are against big time teams, SNY will likely be picking up at least two or maybe three of those. They'll also be picking up the games like that when we play teams like Liberty at home as well. In the past they were only getting the one FCS home game. Now they're going to be getting at least two and likely three, and that's only if we are getting two or three heavy hitters coming to E Hartford each season, which is doable, but a tall order. Thats likely 25 percent or more of the TV games per season.

As for Husky football fans outside NE and around the country, they will have to be pretty dedicated to flipping through channels, trying to keep up with which channels we're on when teams like Indiana visit. Sometimes it will be Fox, sometimes ESPNs channels, sometimes CBSSN, even ND on NBC if we ever get the pleasure of being annihiated in South Bend. Some of Chief's "casual fans" may decide to give up, and who could blame them. Also, I think the UMASS home games are on Eleven Sports. Unless you have that on cable in NE, you won't see it, nor will the rest of the country except if it can be streamed or you have Directv.

Even though this plan did not seem well thought out, I have a little sympathy for Benedict. He was obviously blindsided by the leak. He thought he had more time to sit down and talk with Aresco before this whole thing got leaked by somebody and it blew up. That was a piss poor way for Aresco to find out along with everybody else. Maybe that should have been anticipated so Aresco could possibly have been let down easily. It probably wouldn't have made any difference, but we'll never know.

Reaction Score
American is not keeping us. They have no reason to since it will show weakness if they do. We sound ridiculous thinking they will.
Aresco sounds ridiculous by saying UConn leaving the AAC doesn't hurt the AAC at all. Quite the contrary, the UConn men's and women's basketball brand being no longer in the AAC can destroy the AAC, maybe not right away but it starts the process. Also if UConn football succeeds as an independent, the conference will implode. The only reason Wichita State joined the AAC was to play UConn in basketball.

CL82

Reaction Score
I heard some chirps today that we might not want to stay in the AAC for football afterall. We might explore the idea - might act like we have some interest (per Benedict's quote) - but the administration is quite content with the prospects of an independent schedule. The phone has been ringing with some good opportunities. Your northern universities - the ones that are real schools still want to play programs that are also real schools.
If UConn is smart, it will continue to indicate we are interested in staying, until we finalize our exit. Tough for the American to claim it is damaged by the loss of our football when we are offering to leave it in place. And as both the Navy AD and Mike (not mad) Aresco have stated the TV contract is largely based upon football games.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Leaving football for the 27 months should be the negotiating ploy. If they want us out earlier, it counts against the basketball leaving earlier. At this point, it is up to the lawyers. Not mad has made too many public comments for his own good. UConn has played this well. At the end of the day, UConn does not WANT to be in the AAC for football? Why? Fans haven't come thus far, they won't in the future. Tickets sales and donations are the key here. So, why not build a great home schedule with some P5, local rivals and every once and a while a big program. SNY will at the least produce the games. UConn starts winning on a hand picked schedule versus the AAC and voila - now you have turned around the program and some of the deficit. If there is contraction, realignment or just a realization that the P5 dream is just that- then UConn will be ahead of the curve of everyone else in that boat.

CL82

Reaction Score
. So, why not build a great home schedule with some P5, local rivals and every once and a while a big program.
Because I’m not entirely sure that we will be able to get these games. Although the buzz from the AD’s office seems to be positive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because I’m not entirely sure that we will be able to get these games. Although the buzz from the AD’s office seems to be positive.
DB likely has much better relationships with football schools (SEC) and is better positioned to execute an independent schedule than our previous ADs. I think he will get it done, but it will take time...hopefully a combination of 1 for 1, 2 for 1, pay games and combos for basketball matchups. Series will trickle in over time, so don’t expect a full schedule announcement.

Reaction Score
DB likely has much better relationships with football schools (SEC) and is better positioned to execute an independent schedule than our previous ADs.
This is 100% true. I can only hope it translates into a decent independent schedule. Time will tell.

If he manages to do that, he will have dug himself out of the grave so many on here have buried him in.

Reaction Score
And independent schedule will absolutely demolish what little of what's left of the football team. We couldn't get P5 teams to follow out 4 OOC games, no way we are getting more to agree to play to fill out 12 games. You're gonna see a lot of FCS teams, Sun Belt, MAC, Mountain West ect... every year. At least in the AAC we played decent teams in Cincy, Memphis, Houston and UCF. Might as well just drop down to D2 and fall back into obscurity at that point.

Reaction Score

How it all could have been different if she and Manuel would have minded the store instead of sitting by and watching that worm Jurich wriggle his way into the ACC. How a school with a football team that just went to a BCS Fiesta Bowl eight years ago is about to kill that football team forever, is a story sportswriters will love writing for many years.

I live here is Oklahoma and I get SNY... I pay for it... and it worth every penny to see my UConn Huskies. Love there coverage g64x better than espn.... love the pre and post show. They do a excellent job, and i have the utmost confidence they would do UConn right on there coverage.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
smh. So the solution to not getting enough money for football is to not take money for football?

Listen, the AAC isn't keeping UConn football for a minute after the exit date. Your best hope if you are concerned about the 2020 schedule is that they delay the exit until 2021. That ain't happening either, they just want our money and for us to go.

ESPN isn't going to advocate for this or any other scheduling agreement. They won't even reopen the AAC deal. The took a bigger hit with the B1G. UConn's share is a rounding error. They will let the other 11 keep it because the current deal is a steal for ESPN and a death sentence for many of the AAC. I wouldn't be surprised if ESPN ups the deal in a few years just to keep these programs afloat.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA says no a CCG with 11? Yes. If the NCAA allows the waiver, stay at 11.

This is no longer necessary, the rule changed a few years ago:
Annual Exemptions. [FBS/FCS]
Bowl Subdivision. [FBS]
In bowl subdivision football, the maximum number of football
contests shall exclude the following:
(Revised: 1/10/90, 11/1/07 effective 8/1/08, 10/28/10, 10/27/11 effective
4/1/12, Adopted: 8/2/12 effective 8/1/14, 1/15/16 effective 8/1/16)
(b) Conference Championship Game.
One conference championship game:
(1) Between division champions of a conference that is divided into two divisions (as equally bal-
anced in number as possible) and conducts round-robin, regular-season competition in each
division; or
(2) Between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin regular-
season competition among all members of the conference.

Reaction Score
Yeah...I guess the AAC could play a full round robin withh 11....and have one OOC game.

The conference losses add up....33 extra losses per year...maybe more than half the conference not bowl eligible.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom