October 1, 2021
- Aug 24, 2011
Stay with me; it's not a dumb as it sounds at first blush.
- This last media deal for the American was built to get ESPN + subscribers.
- Keeping UConn in the American means that UConn football fans will still need to sign up to see games.
- Since the bulk of media contract is based upon football, ESPN could reduce the contract less if UConn stays put.
- Down the road there would less resistance for UConn fans toward + because fans would have already have been using it.
- Finally it earns ESPN some goodwill in their state of residence. Not a stand alone reason for making a deal but definitely a plus.