Should ESPN tell the American to make a football only deal with UConn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should ESPN tell the American to make a football only deal with UConn?

Reaction Score
If the AAC let's UConn Football remain, then it could open the gates for others like Cinci and Temple to do the same thing. Wichita State will want out. It will be anarchy.

Schools should be in regional conferences when it comes to all sports except football, and UConn is the trailblazer.
Look at the geography. Cincinnati is closer to Memphis, Greenville, NC, Philadelphia than Hartford and Hartford is about the same distance from Cincinnati as Orlando, Tulsa, and New Orleans. Houston is a 2 hr 20 min flight to Cinci. The travel was much more severe for UConn. Plus, Cincinnati was in CUSA with Houston, Memphis, USF, and Tulane and the Metro Conference with Memphis and Tulane, so these teams are more traditional rivals than UConn. Cincinnati is not going anywhere.

AAC basketball is rising and they are a better conference today than all conferences that any current AAC school could join. Temple is not going to the A10.

Reaction Score
If we can get even a partial scheduling affiliation with a P5 like the B1G, such as 2 aways and 1 home per season guaranteed for 5 years, we will be able to fill out a nice schedule. This is already possible with the B1G recognizing UConn as a P5 level opponent for in conference purposes.

What benefit does the B1G get for providing three games each year to UConn?

Reaction Score
Where would those other schools go? Do they really have better alternatives for BB and other sports like we do?

We are moving to reduce travel costs and just as importantly, re-energize ticket sales/fan interest which waned in the AAC mightily. Does Temple and Cincy really have a similar issue with their fan bases and an obvious place to go that would legitimately boost fan interest by 20-30% out of the gate?

Yes. With us gone from the American Temple basketball would probably be better off back in the A-Ten for the same reasons we want to be in the Big East -- less travel and better rivalries. But they aren't willing to sacrifice the football program to do so.

Reaction Score
Truth is...there is no place for other AAC teams to go.

Cincy fans are still desperados waiting for a train....forever listening for the sound of the coming of the old Atlantic Coast Line "Southland" to set the rails humming.

Houston, Memphis, UCF, USF are all chasing the P5 dream.

If a program is an elite basketball program and would be willing to concede that their future is as a basketball school...one could drop football (as Wichita once did)...or drop down to FCS and move if it supported their basketball ambitions. Might even try going independent if their board had a late night of tequila shooters.

But I do not see it.

Reaction Score
And if Tulsa left...it would be like taking your finger out of a glass of water....doesn't upset the water...in 10 seconds you would not know that there was ever a finger there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Truth is...there is no place for other AAC teams to go.

Cincy fans are still desperados waiting for a train....forever listening for the sound of the coming of the old Atlantic Coast Line "Southland" to set the rails humming.

Houston, Memphis, UCF, USF are all chasing the P5 dream.

If a program is an elite basketball program and would be willing to concede that their future is as a basketball school...one could drop football (as Wichita once did)...or drop down to FCS and move if it supported their basketball ambitions. Might even try going independent if their board had a late night of tequila shooters.

But I do not see it.

if only someone cared what you and all these other butthurt (not mad) idiots see or think.

the more people like you dont like it the better i know it is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think Cincy would want to go any split conference for fball and bball. They've done well as they are. Same for Houston for that matter or Ucf. Although Ucf's bball has been iffy. The most likely scenario for all this conference wise is the B12 losing Ok. and Texas. Then things get interesting. However, those school are well positioned to compete with the B12. Fball wise they're already recruiting with the p5 schools.

I get some recruiting service information, and i was comparing some of these AAC teams to some of the "p5". In Cincy's case, they are in a good spot to bring in a local 4 star lb with offers from everybody. If they pull him they're likely mid to lower 40's nationally. Probably better than Wv which obviously will irk the Dud. Houston and Ucf also seem to attract top kids. There are enough talented kids to go around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
if only someone cared what you and all these other butthurt (not mad) idiots see or think.

the more people like you dont like it the better i know it is.

Don't like what. exactly?

I offered an opinion on other than UConn AAC programs leaving....

You may disagree....but I don't think that you got that far as your knee jerked..... and you drew a line straight to UConn as if I had stated something about UConn.

Reaction Score
Dave Benedict was a near the top of the Auburn athletic department. You don’t get there without understanding the football landscape.
Wasn't Diaco a top coach at Notre Dame? Wasn't Paul P a coach at Syracuse? Don't get there without ... NOT!

Reaction Score

You may disagree....but I don't think that you got that far as your knee jerked..... and you drew a line straight to UConn as if I had stated something about UConn.

Maybe you overstay your welcome sometimes.........just say’in

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

we got it. you dont get it. you can stop repeating yourself over and over and over

Reaction Score
Love the optimism.
Pretty soon we’ll move off of being independent to “headed for Big”.

Can’t wait for that phase. The folks saying they want a steady diet of Lehigh, Holy Cross, Buffalo, umass, and other big regional rivalries are getting stale.

We’re coming off a historically bad year, preceded by a stretch of really bad seasons. If we have FBS football in 10 years, it’s because some miracle or two.

Sorry. Momentary lapse of reality.

Can’t wait until Ohio State is playing at the rent? Do we bring back the expandable seating like Michigan? Or do we just do the expansion now. Not sure if anyone knows, but The Rent.was designed for expansion.

Reaction Score
And if Tulsa left...it would be like taking your finger out of a glass of water....doesn't upset the water...in 10 seconds you would not know that there was ever a finger there.

The Wichitah State coach said he joined the AAC to play UConn not ECU and Tulsa.

Reaction Score
i feel bad for that guy, invite him to play us at the xl center in 2021.

It’s not gonna happen, but I wouldn’t mind if they were in the Big East.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this in another thread. UConn parking one sport in the American and not taking a piece of the pie may entice the rest of the conference to allow them to stay. No other non P5 team will bring the Hartford/Springfield market, UConn's brand recognition, and an east coast presence. UConn's value lies in it's brand and TV market. You are not getting that from any other G5 school except BYU and BYU from what I hear doesn't want to join. Boise provides football brand recognition, but would increase travel for the conference and has a TV market ranking of 106 nationally, while Hartford/Springfield ranks 30th. That's higher than KC, Vegas, San Antonio, Cincy and many other perceived larger markets. TV markets drive the bus and that may allow the team to negotiate a way to stay in the American. Combine this with the fact that ESPN may look to renegotiate their contract, it may be something that the AAC will look at. But as only UConn fans know so often, decisions are often made around spite, turf and other issues.

Reaction Score
I still think that the AAC will either stand pat....or add...but no one will leave.

Reaction Score
Someone at ESPN must read the BY about football at Fenway.

New Bowl game announced for Boston at Fenway..2020-25.

Will be ACC vs ??

The league will do away with its previous tier structure, The conference and bowl games will make the bowl selections based on “geographic proximity, avoiding repeat appearances and matchups and regular-season won-loss records.”

The emphasis on geographic proximity is a relatively new....Bowl could open opportunities for an area independent like UMass or UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom