Should Dham have a green light? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should Dham have a green light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He will be and is fine when he has a destination in mind instead of faking his way around against some elite defenders. The greats eventually get this. Sophs rarely do.

Reaction Score
Guessing he's under 30% for most of the AAC season so I guess you don't want to keep your HC job huh Pal? lol

I would give him the "yellow" light, play with caution but make mistakes/bad decisions you sit as quick as Adams has.
Seems to me you have to completely disregard rebounding in order to think Hamilton should sit for the same mistakes other players make. He is so far and away our best rebounder, and rebounding is such a problem when he's not in the game, that you have to give him more leeway imo. I agree his shooting has been brutal, but we're not going anywhere anyway if he can't make some 6 footers and layups, so maybe let him keep shooting and hope he can get some confidence back.

Reaction Score
Seems to me you have to completely disregard rebounding in order to think Hamilton should sit for the same mistakes other players make. He is so far and away our best rebounder, and rebounding is such a problem when he's not in the game, that you have to give him more leeway imo. I agree his shooting has been brutal, but we're not going anywhere anyway if he can't make some 6 footers and layups, so maybe let him keep shooting and hope he can get some confidence back.

I haven't disregarded anything from what I see. In other posts I'd even asked that maybe he be given more time to roam the baseline on offense because he is such good rebounder, maybe a couple put backs a game will help him confidence as well as help us in one of weaker areas. It's not even the 2 for 11 games as much as the bad decisions at key times. Way too many TO's as of late, brain farts as they say. 4 the other day as we came back to tie in the first half then after Gibbs missed a lay up instead of passing, he had 2 sloppy passes adding to the resurgent lead for Cincy. Hey I get he needs to play, but when he seems to lack focus on ball protection it's time to get a breather on the bench, not for long, but just to think about what transpired.

Also while his defense has improved immensely he does get caught cheating to be that great defensive rebounder, and ultimately gives up a few wide open looks. So do others so not just knocking him. But in defense of DHam being a good rebounder, especially one from the wing, needs to cheat and anticipate to get his 8-9 a game. And our other bigs don't rebound as well so I guess we do need to tae the good with the bad huh?

Reaction Score
Also while his defense has improved immensely he does get caught cheating to be that great defensive rebounder, and ultimately gives up a few wide open looks. So do others so not just knocking him. But in defense of DHam being a good rebounder, especially one from the wing, needs to cheat and anticipate to get his 8-9 a game. And our other bigs don't rebound as well so I guess we do need to tae the good with the bad huh?
I guess that's where I'm at. We're a team full of average decision makers, and it's compounded by the fact that our most important lineups have played 0 games together prior to this year.

Hamilton does make bad decisions, but he's top 2 in our conference in both rebounding and assists. If you take him out, you replace him with another average decision maker that is much worse at those things.

Reaction Score
We are a better team when Dham is driving, drawing defenders and either finishing or kicking to one of our true shooting guards.

Reaction Score
This is going to sound bad, but i think the coaching staff and Dham have been lazy with his development. He should be running through screens all day. He doesn't do nearly enough traditional swing man stuff. They all seem to think he's Magic Johnson....he's not and he needs to put time into traditional swing man skills. The year is almost over, but his career and development have just begun.

Reaction Score
This is going to sound bad, but i think the coaching staff and Dham have been lazy with his development. He should be running through screens all day. He doesn't do nearly enough traditional swing man stuff. They all seem to think he's Magic Johnson....he's not and he needs to put time into traditional swing man skills. The year is almost over, but his career and development have just begun.

Yeah would like to see a little more Rip Hamilton than Daniel, I agree. Not to say I'd take it out of his hands completely but at least when Adams is running the show he needs to be looking to get open, they need to be screening off the ball for him and such.

Reaction Score
He should only be allowed to throw lobs to Brimah. Otherwise, he should never cross mid court, keep both hands behind his back, stare at the opposing players chest, and play tight d. Or he should sit, hopefully next to Gibbs, as far away from KO as possible. Or, and this is big, you let the kid play. You never, no matter how bad he is struggling, put the reigns on your most talented player.

Reaction Score
He should only be allowed to throw lobs to Brimah. Otherwise, he should never cross mid court, keep both hands behind his back, stare at the opposing players chest, and play tight d. Or he should sit, hopefully next to Gibbs, as far away from KO as possible. Or, and this is big, you let the kid play. You never, no matter how bad he is struggling, put the reigns on your most talented player.

Sorry, while I agree you let him play to a point, when he's shooting 30% and turning it over as much as he's assisting not sure how you just let him play with NO rope? I mean this isn't a run of 3 games, they already "let him play" since many moons ago it would seem now. You let him play but you use him differently utilizing his strengths until he gets some confidence back. I mean how often can you let a guy go 2-11, 2-13 and turn it over 4X a game without admitting your "best player" just isn't playing like that with the ball in his hands?

Reaction Score
Sorry, while I agree you let him play to a point, when he's shooting 30% and turning it over as much as he's assisting not sure how you just let him play with NO rope? I mean this isn't a run of 3 games, they already "let him play" since many moons ago it would seem now. You let him play but you use him differently utilizing his strengths until he gets some confidence back. I mean how often can you let a guy go 2-11, 2-13 and turn it over 4X a game without admitting your "best player" just isn't playing like that with the ball in his hands?
I don't think his shot selection is the issue. Any ill advised three I see him take is due to the shot clock expiring. That's not his fault but a much larger issue in general. Sure, he takes some off balance shots in the lane. That's because he was thinking pass first first and the defense never rotated. You take that away from him, this offense goes completely stagnant. It seems the consensus on here is put the ball in Adams hands and our problems are solved. I disagree 100%. While I love how Adams attacks the rim, I have yet to see him in any game facilitate the offense. When he tries, it typically ends in a forced turnover. In my mind, for UConn to beat anyone good, the offense must go through DHam. Truthfully, I feel how time is split between Purvis, Gibbs, and Adams may be fun to talk about but will have less of an impact on total outcome. We need DHam to be heavily involved. We only need one or two of the others, to step up. Doesn't matter as much who it is. If DHam plays well, we can beat anyone. If he doesn't, we can't.

Reaction Score
I don't think his shot selection is the issue. Any ill advised three I see him take is due to the shot clock expiring. That's not his fault but a much larger issue in general. Sure, he takes some off balance shots in the lane. That's because he was thinking pass first first and the defense never rotated. You take that away from him, this offense goes completely stagnant. It seems the consensus on here is put the ball in Adams hands and our problems are solved. I disagree 100%. While I love how Adams attacks the rim, I have yet to see him in any game facilitate the offense. When he tries, it typically ends in a forced turnover. In my mind, for UConn to beat anyone good, the offense must go through DHam. Truthfully, I feel how time is split between Purvis, Gibbs, and Adams may be fun to talk about but will have less of an impact on total outcome. We need DHam to be heavily involved. We only need one or two of the others, to step up. Doesn't matter as much who it is. If DHam plays well, we can beat anyone. If he doesn't, we can't.

Agree to disagree djct all good, respect your point of view. Just seems to me Adams when given the keys makes a lot more happen on O that is positive while DHam we are still waiting for consistency. Been a rough conference year for Daniel besides rebounding the ball and improvement on D.

Reaction Score
Agree to disagree djct all good, respect your point of view. Just seems to me Adams when given the keys makes a lot more happen on O that is positive while DHam we are still waiting for consistency. Been a rough conference year for Daniel besides rebounding the ball and improvement on D.
I hear you. Its not that I don't like Adams on the floor, I just feel when he is, the other 4 guys stand around a lot on offense.

Reaction Score
I hear you. Its not that I don't like Adams on the floor, I just feel when he is, the other 4 guys stand around a lot on offense.

Would love for DHam to see video's of RipHam off the ball as well as the rest of team so they can see how to set picks. Oh well, for now we need everyone to play well no matter who has the ball. Let's see how it goes.

Reaction Score
Our offense doesn't cater to his strengths. He's not that great of a shooter off the bounce. Wish we'd have him/Gibbs coming off more screens and getting shots off with their feet set.

C

Chief00

Of course, he should have a reasonable green light - but he certainly has a lot to improve on including:
- A major part of his shooting issue is a lack of lift in his legs. He is either injuried or out of shape.
- Screens and shape cuts need to be brought back into our offense.
- He needs to post some - and leave the foul line position disaster
- Too much dribble
- Work on shot - reintroduce the arch in his shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members