Should Boyle be our starting QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Bonehead said:
We almost beat Michigan with Whitmer...

He's also 8-9 as a starter. If he's not throwing picks, I think his accuracy will improve from what we saw Saturday. He is a career 56% passer. He's not winning the Heisman, but he can and had played well enough to win games for us.

He's also the best guy left, so might as well root for him and hope he gets some help.

Boyle is a career 44% passer and hasn't thrown a TD pass yet. Yes, it was in only 4 games against the toughest opponents from last season, but what exactly are people expecting from the guy eliminated from the QB competition early? Who's to say he will be an improvement?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
And then he mimicked Eli Manning & threw an interception to basically turn the game in Michigan's favor.

It was more the play calling the way I remember it that basically turned the game in Michigans favor - but I'll bite.
Are you also postering for Nassib at this point? Just curious. Eli beat him out in training camp 2 years in a row but throws costly interceptions but continues to be the starter. My guess is the coaches probably feel he is the more talented/prepared of the two QB's.

Reaction Score
I think we know what we have in Whitmer, and this season is the end of the line for him. Boyle showed himself to be a raw talent last year, but in definite need of experience. This scenario kind of reminds me of when Danny O was thrown to the wolves when the starting QB walked off and drove home to the coast and Keron Henry could not cut it. DO toughed it out but grew as a QB. My sense is give Boyle a shot at it since there is little likelihood that he can preserve his redshirt and he will be the only QB with experience in the system next season. And he does have the tools to be good.

As terrible as I feel for Casey, I can be optimistic for Boyle.

Reaction Score
I say let Boyle try to keep the redshirt if possible, learn the playbook, etc. That extra year of development is huge. Next year let him go into the competition wide open and see if he earns it. If we need him, play him, but don't burn the RS if you don't have to, especially if you think he has a lot of development left.

I understand your rationale, but what if Boyle's forced into active duty because of an injury to Whitmer at any time during the season? Whitmer's gone after this season.
There's no better education than learning on the fly & both Boyle & Whitmer were given the Diaco playbook at the same time. If the team has to take its lumps this season in order to prepare for the future, I'd rather it be with the player who will be on the active roster next season.

Reaction Score
I think we know what we have in Whitmer, and this season is the end of the line for him. Boyle showed himself to be a raw talent last year, but in definite need of experience. This scenario kind of reminds me of when Danny O was thrown to the wolves when the starting QB walked off and drove home to the coast and Keron Henry could not cut it. DO toughed it out but grew as a QB. My sense is give Boyle a shot at it since there is little likelihood that he can preserve his redshirt and he will be the only QB with experience in the system next season. And he does have the tools to be good.

As terrible as I feel for Casey, I can be optimistic for Boyle.
EXACTLY!

Reaction Score
Michigan clearly has fallen from the ranks of the super-elite football programs.

It's still Michigan and they were/are a better team clearly.

Reaction Score
I understand your rationale, but what if Boyle's forced into active duty because of an injury to Whitmer at any time during the season? Whitmer's gone after this season.
There's no better education than learning on the fly & both Boyle & Whitmer were given the Diaco playbook at the same time. If the team has to take its lumps this season in order to prepare for the future, I'd rather it be with the player who will be on the active roster next season.

I get what you're saying, but if you save Boyle's year, you give him another year with the playbook, to learn the Diaco system, etc. Yeah, they've had the same amount of time, but Boyle has the potential to have 3+ years of it -- Whitmer doesn't. If we burn Boyle's RS, he's probably never going to get it back. And maybe Davis is the future QB and it's fine, but maybe not. So to me, unless Boyle is clearly the better QB, I keep playing Whitmer and hope that a 22 y/o Boyle is worth a lot more than whatever the difference is between Whitmer and Boyle now.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Michigan clearly has fallen from the ranks of the super-elite football programs.
And USF hasnt?
If I remember correctly Michigan came in as a top 25 team at that point - I never called them super elite but they were better than USF.
Also, McCombs ran for about 150 in the USF game and UConn ran for like 30 in the Michigan game.
I must be blind as I just dont see why we would play Boyle at this point if we dont need to. If he is better than Whitmer in the eyes of our coaching staff then he should be the starter - but I dont think they are seeing that.
But what do I know - I am not a scout or football coach. Just a BY poster.

Reaction Score
Damn, my posts are being taken more seriously than I thought they would be. I know USF is not Michigan. C'mon.

Reaction Score
coach, injuries are injuries and they are uncontrolable. they make teams do things they don't want to do. Over the course of any given season, lots of teams play one quarterback, though. So it isn't like there is any immediate need to play Boyle unless he improves our chances to win now. And using your logic, we might as well go with Lemelle at wide out and let Davis sit it out. After all, one will be back. The other won't. You go with the best players you have and see how it works out. And again, what did Boyle show you last year that makes you think he is going to be Peyton Manning? Or Dan Orlovskey? Was it the 8 picks?, the 0 tds? 15 sacks? Qb rating in the 70s? is it possible that Boyle will be a fine quarterback? Sure. But its equally likely that he'll be no better or even worse than Whitmer. He was last year by virtually every measurement.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

South Florida barely cracks the top 10 in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom