Short Memories or What Have You done Lately | The Boneyard

Short Memories or What Have You done Lately

Reaction Score
Just in case some have forgotten, UConn went into the 2008 tournament ranked No 1 in the country and with Maya Moore on the roster. After 3 years of "dark ages" the expectations were high but then they got beat in the semis of the final four. But lo and behold, it wasn't the end of the world, they went on on to win the next 2 titles. Then, in both 2010 & 2011 they were beaten by Notre Dame in the final four semis. The following year they were beaten three, count em, three times by those same Irish before not only beating them in the final four semis but then winning the title that year. They went on to beat those same Irish in the national title game the next 2 years and won 4 in a row.

Now they have not won a title in 2 consecutive years and we are being told that the party is over and we are entering another "dark age"? Why? One poster is inconsolable because his "to die for" recruit went elsewhere. Boo Hoo. He should take a look at history. Despite the myth spread by their detractors UConn has lost out on many top recruits over the last 10 years and has still won 6 titles. And that means they lost 4 titles. I suspect that some memories only go back to the 2012 championship year. These are the people who panic whenever they lose 2 hands at a blackjack table after having won 6 straight.

Fickle much?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Yes, UConn fans are spoiled to the max. But, in order to get that way, there had to be some pretty decent basketball teams that won a flock of games. A win rate of 80+ isn’t the pathway to humility in any sport.

The best one can hope for is a smart fanbase that knows how to enjoy, one that typifies class, civility, and loyalty.

Reaction Score
I hear ya. I’ve been getting ribbed by co-workes for being a jinx because I was at the last two final fours and we lost both. I replied by telling them that I have been to 16 final fours since 2000 and we won 10 so.... I guess back-to-back 36 and 1 years are just foreshadowing UCONNs impending doom.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just in case some have forgotten, UConn went into the 2008 tournament ranked No 1 in the country and with Maya Moore on the roster. After 3 years of "dark ages" the expectations were high but then they got beat in the semis of the final four. But lo and behold, it wasn't the end of the world, they went on on to win the next 2 titles. Then, in both 2010 & 2011 they were beaten by Notre Dame in the final four semis. The following year they were beaten three, count em, three times by those same Irish before not only beating them in the final four semis but then winning the title that year. They went on to beat those same Irish in the national title game the next 2 years and won 4 in a row.

Now they have not won a title in 2 consecutive years and we are being told that the party is over and we are entering another "dark age"? Why? One poster is inconsolable because his "to die for" recruit went elsewhere. Boo Hoo. He should take a look at history. Despite the myth spread by their detractors UConn has lost out on many top recruits over the last 10 years and has still won 6 titles. And that means they lost 4 titles. I suspect that some memories only go back to the 2012 championship year. These are the people who panic whenever they lose 2 hands at a blackjack table after having won 6 straight.

Fickle much?

We are indeed a spoiled bunch.................the more UConn wins the higher expectations rise...............even two years in the "wilderness" is difficult for many to accept................fresh wounds from the foul induced ND loss don't help matters, nor does losing the number one high school recruit under somewhat questionable circumstances and finally the sense that Geno's days as coach may be winding down within the next ten years adds to the sense of concern..........are the "good old days" over? I don't think so but parity seems to be upon us at least for the next few years unless Geno can ramp up UConn's recruiting to previous levels

Reaction Score
Look at it this way, we can go into a new season without the usual target on our backs. Notre Dame gets to deal with that next year. They have a few teams they need to be concerned about before they can repeat as champions. Baylor, Oregon, and of course UConn among others could be in a position to give Irish heartburn next year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Recent history:

UConn is 188-3 in the last 5 years. The three losses were by a total 6 points and all were in overtime (Stanford, Miss State, ND).

In the last 2 years since Stewie, Morgan, and Moriah graduated, the Huskies are 72-2 with 2 OT losses for a total 4 points on freak shots.

Yep, team is failing fast. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Fickle much?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Fickle much?

4 Stars @Alydar

Reaction Score
Recent history:

UConn is 188-3 in the last 5 years. The three losses were by a total 6 points and all were in overtime (Stanford, Miss State, ND).

In the last 2 years since Stewie, Morgan, and Moriah graduated, the Huskies are 72-2 with 2 OT losses for a total 4 points on freak shots.

very, very true but this coming season will be a real test with UConn's two defensive dynamos now in the WNBA...........I see some "struggles" ahead and by that I mean 2-3 losses next season unless MW and the fantastic freshmen can some how pick up the slack........

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Look at it this way, we can go into a new season without the usual target on our backs. Notre Dame gets to deal with that next year. They have a few teams they need to be concerned about before they can repeat as champions. Baylor, Oregon, and of course UConn among others could be in a position to give Irish heartburn next year.

Probably not uconn. They just lost and the 2 best players from that game got drafted in the top 6 of the draft. It would take some major improvements and rare frosh contributions to get to that level again.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
very, very true but this coming season will be a real test with UConn's two defensive dynamos now in the WNBA......I see some "struggles" ahead and by that I mean 2-3 losses next season unless MW and the fantastic freshmen can some how pick up the slack...

2-3 losses in one season constitutes "struggles"? This comment is so far removed from reality I'm not sure where to begin.

Spoiled doesn't begin to adquately describe this viewpoint. Maybe delusional? smh

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
very, very true but this coming season will be a real test with UConn's two defensive dynamos now in the WNBA......I see some "struggles" ahead and by that I mean 2-3 losses next season unless MW and the fantastic freshmen can some how pick up the slack...
A year hasn't gone by that the Boneyard hasn't foretold doom and gloom.

Shea and Svet are graduating - we'll be so weak at guard next year!
Swin, Sue, Ashja, and Tamika are graduating - we'll never see another undefeated season!
Diana is graduating - the team has nothing left, Ann isn't a go-to player, we'll start to decline from here!
Tina and Renee are graduating - we have no point guard! We're so weak in the frontcourt!
Maya is graduating - the program will decline without any star power!
Kelly is graduating - Kelly has been underrated her whole career! Without her we have no defense!
Stef is graduating - She's is the only one that can run the offense!

Yadda yadda yadda. Every. Single. Year.

Reaction Score
Okay gang -- here is my worry: We did not go to the last Final Four, a fact for which I am eternally grateful. We went to the previous one, which, as you all know, ended with a loss to MSSt. We did see a winning tournament in San Antonio, but I also went to the Final Four in Denver where UCOnn got bumped off by Notre Dame in a game that really reminded me of this year's loss. So we do not have a wonderful record.

We live in Florida. It is simply too easy to buy tix and drive across the state -- 3 hours, max -- to Tampa, to see the tournament. And barring illness or other tragedy,we will do that. But this is my warning: Our presence does not exactly seem to encourage the UCOnn women in the Final Four. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
2-3 losses in one season constitutes "struggles"? This comment is so far removed from reality I'm not sure where to begin.

Spoiled doesn't begin to adquately describe this viewpoint. Maybe delusional? smh

I find your response rather amusing...................apparently you don't recognize hyperbole when you read it................that said if you look at Nan's post where she mentioned that UConn was 188-3 in the past five years, losing two or three games in a single season would appear to be a below average year for the Huskies...............feel free to rant away if it makes you feel better.........

Reaction Score
Okay gang -- here is my worry: We did not go to the last Final Four, a fact for which I am eternally grateful. We went to the previous one, which, as you all know, ended with a loss to MSSt. We did see a winning tournament in San Antonio, but I also went to the Final Four in Denver where UCOnn got bumped off by Notre Dame in a game that really reminded me of this year's loss. So we do not have a wonderful record.

We live in Florida. It is simply too easy to buy tix and drive across the state -- 3 hours, max -- to Tampa, to see the tournament. And barring illness or other tragedy,we will do that. But this is my warning: Our presence does not exactly seem to encourage the UCOnn women in the Final Four. Just sayin'.
Look on the bright side. Every year you’ve been there the team has been there too. Let’s hope that trend continues. I’m booking a hotel in Tampa. See you there.

Reaction Score

Fickle much?

Outstanding post.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Diana is graduating - the team has nothing left, Ann isn't a go-to player, we'll start to decline from here!
Well that was a pretty decent swoon for UCONN. A Sweet 16 loss and 2 Elite Eight losses before getting back to the FF. We lost 17 games those 3 years. :eek:

However, this year, with 2 AA's and a top PG coming back, I think we should be ok.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well that was a pretty decent swoon for UCONN. A Sweet 16 loss and 2 Elite Eight losses before getting back to the FF. We lost 17 games those 3 years. :eek:

However, this year, with 2 AA's and a top PG coming back, I think we should be ok.
True, there were some Dark Years but UConn rebounded nicely (lol) with Tina, Renee, and Maya to win 3 consecutive championships. You can knock UConn down; it’s keeping it down that’s the hard part

Reaction Score
I’m scared that all the nation’s top recruits are going to ND instead of UConn now :(

Reaction Score
Recent history:

Very true, we haven't lost a regulation game in over 5 years. And those games we have lost required some heroics on the part of the opponent.

That said, it's also been two years in a row of the exact same outcome -- playing tentative and tight under the bright lights of the Final Four against a well-coached opponent. That's a trend, and it says something about that group of players, Geno's system, or some combination thereof: that when things aren't going perfectly, they're too rigid, too scripted, too business-like, and unable to improvise and win a game some other way. These guys have plenty of personality off the court, but become robotic on it, and have no response when a crafty opponent gums up the works.

Reaction Score
Yes they were crafty indeed, pretty amazing getting 8 players for them on the court. Must have been a pretty sweet offering to the NCAA when they bought their waiver.

Reaction Score
I’m scared that all the nation’s top recruits are going to ND instead of UConn now :(

and why is that? because they won a single NC? It sure hasn't helped South Carolina very much..........Baylor, Texas, Tennessee even Florida State have all recruited higher rated players then ND and they haven't won an NC in quite some time.........a single player signing with any team is not a trend..............wait a few months and see how UConn makes out...........if they lose out a few more times then you may have a reason to be worried.......

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Scared? Why, does someone come shoot your dog if UConn loses a recruit?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom