Shocking to me how people can criticize AJ's performance today... | The Boneyard

Shocking to me how people can criticize AJ's performance today...

Reaction Score
What game are people watching? Absolutely the reason we won today. Always around the ball - both offensive and defensive rebounds. Pushes the ball up the court, excellent passes that lead to easy layups. Hustle and passes to a wide open AK that hits that huge 3. It doesn't matter what his offensive production is - he needs to be on the court.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
What game are people watching? Absolutely the reason we won today. Always around the ball - both offensive and defensive rebounds. Pushes the ball up the court, excellent passes that lead to easy layups. Hustle and passes to a wide open AK that hits that huge 3. It doesn't matter what his offensive production is - he needs to be on the court.
Who is criticizing today’s performance? He held the Big East’s leading scorer to 0 points and had a line 7-10-7. I saw some guys trashing him to start the game but I haven’t seen much criticism since?

Reaction Score
He played very well. But the other team knows they can leave him wide open and that he won’t shoot it. He needs to be able to knock down an open jumper and right now he’s not able to.

I don’t think he’s going to fix his shooting over night, so I think today is the best we can expect going forward. Tenacious defense, strong rebounding, smart passing and nearly non-existent shooting (I know he made one three). I’ll take it for now.

Reaction Score
On the chat people critical of turnovers ...can't expect perfection but some do lol.

Reaction Score
On defense he just has to stop the chest-bump defense that probably isn't a foul but is called all the time because refs look for actions that stick out as unusual.

He's gotta be more savvy than that.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He played very well. But the other team knows they can leave him wide open and that he won’t shoot it. He needs to be able to knock down an open jumper and right now he’s not able to.

I don’t think he’s going to fix his shooting over night, so I think today is the best we can expect going forward. Tenacious defense, strong rebounding, smart passing and nearly non-existent shooting (I know he made one three). I’ll take it for now.
We’re building ways to exploit the sag without Andre shooting it.

Exhibit A: flash Adama in the post, create the space, kick to Newt who penetrated and threw the lob to Andre rim running in the space created. That was a set to punish that defense without Andre shooting it.

Exhibit B: give and go flash to Hawk for a wide open look (that Hawk missed).

Exhibit C: extra pass to Joey on his only 3 of the game.

We are starting to get in flow looks as a result of, not inspite of the defense on Dre.

We are solving the defense more frequently. The more reps we get at breaking it down the better and for now there is no plan B for teams when we solve this.

We’re also getting Adama a ton more looks moving towards the basket instead of on the block.

We’re also getting a lot more high low back door passes from Clingan to cutting guards.

The team is evolving.

Gtown hit a % of threes way above their average.

Wahab and Murray hit a lot of tough shots in the mid range.

Town got a favorable whistle from the 10-5 min mark of the 2nd half (primo dive, and 1, no calls on Newton, alleyne).

And we weathered the storm and got the road win with hustle and defense.

Haters will cite a close game against Georgetown and say today was a continued struggle.

It wasn’t. It’s more progress.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
AJax is AJax
If he is playing within himself and is passing the ball with purpose, grabbing rebounds and playing shutdown D - he should play
When he isn't it's hard to argue he deserves quality minutes

Reaction Score
On the chat people critical of turnovers ...can't expect perfection but some do lol.
It’s often hard to take what people post on the Boneyard seriously. if you take what people say while multi-tasking and without thinking on a chat thread during a game, that’s on you.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Look, things are not as bad as some say, and not as good as others believe with Jackson. He has three flaws, and when he controls or compensates for those he's a real plus. What are those flaws? 1)Sloppy passes leading to turnovers at times, 2) going for highlight plays on D such as aggressive blocks, reaches leasing to fouls, and too hard closing out on shooters, 3) and poor shooting in general. However, he is high energy, pushes the ball hard on the break, is a high plus rebounder. When he doesn't reach on D he's a plus defender. The main thing is you want more reliable scoring from your 3. It's great that Newton has stepped up to be the third musketeer... err, Husky

Reaction Score
Look, things are not as bad as some say, and not as good as others believe with Jackson. He has three flaws, and when he controls or compensates for those he's a real plus. What are those flaws? 1)Sloppy passes leading to turnovers at times, 2) going for highlight plays on D such as aggressive blocks, reaches leasing to fouls, and too hard closing out on shooters, 3) and poor shooting in general. However, he is high energy, pushes the ball hard on the break, is a high plus rebounder. When he doesn't reach on D he's a plus defender. The main thing is you want more reliable scoring from your 3. It's great that Newton has stepped up to be the third musketeer... err, Husky

I’d actually say that things are as good as most believe with Jackson. Not even Scrappy thinks he can shoot. But while people bitch about highlight plays and turnovers they also miss about a half dozen plays he makes every game that very few players in college basketball can make that he makes look easy. Including the biggest play of the game tonight. The people begging to neuter him are entitled to their take but that doesn’t mean it’s a good one. His A/TO ratio was 7/2 today. For the entire season, even including the games where people are crying for him to be benched, it’s 2.5:1.

Reaction Score
It’s often hard to take what people post on the Boneyard seriously. if you take what people say while multi-tasking and without thinking on a chat thread during a game, that’s on you.
Thanks so much for the unsolicited guidance...I'll take it with the grain of salt it deserves. I treat the Boneyard chat genius takes as seriously as a George Santos resume.

Is the bill in the mail for your 3 hours of time?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I say he played good I wish maybe he calm down on some of his fancy passes and maybe not gamble on defense when the game is on the line that’s all I got others then that he’s the man

Reaction Score
We’re also getting Adama a ton more looks moving towards the basket instead of on the block.
This. This has been huge for Adama and the team. As good as he can be on the block, he's been one dimensional offensively and coaches have figured out pretty easily how to stop him (just double him). They have really been mixing up how they use Adama in the offense and it's making a huge difference I think.

He still needs to learn to pass out of the double teams, getting better, but still a ways to go. There was a point where Hurley subbed him right after a bad shot falling away from the basket where you could clearly read Hurleys lips say "Adama, pass it" as he went to the bench. Glad to see it's still a point of emphasis.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
He was our MVP today. We don’t win that game without him. When was the last time the second leading scorer in the BE was held to zero? Andre took something to heart last week. He played awesome. I don’t even care if he can’t shoot. He does things we need.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I like AJ, he played well yesterday, but he has to score more

With his lack of offense, he gives back a lot of what he takes

Reaction Score
Our offesne was not good today--For exmple, we scored about 10 under what Massey would have predicted. Some of that is on Andre, and how they sagged off of him. He allowed GU to look like a decent defensive team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom