Shocking! ESPN's Way Too Early has UConn 7th! | The Boneyard

Shocking! ESPN's Way Too Early has UConn 7th!

Reaction Score
I think it’s a little low too. But, if ONO doesn’t develop into a significant offensive threat (as mentioned) or (God forbid) any injury is sustained, 7 is about right. There are deeper and more talented teams out there.
I was surprised to see A&M so high, but they do return everyone and challenged Notre Dame in sweet 16.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
The operative words being "Way too early," but why not get a head start on our worrying?
1555944643479.png

Reaction Score
I was surprised on how many Big 10 teams there were in the poll. Especially Minnesota. That came out of nowhere.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was surprised on how many Big 10 teams there were in the poll. Especially Minnesota. That came out of nowhere.

Totally agree. No real basis for MN.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The operative words being "Way too early," but why not get a head start on our worrying?
View attachment 42499

Yeah, right. Why wait until the last minute to start worrying? :confused: Start now and avoid the rush. ;) If I'm going to worry, it won't be until AFTER our first five games. I ALWAYS wait until the first 5 games before I try to make any assessments about our team. If we're 0-5 or 1-4, THEN I'll start worrying.

C'mon guys (and girls), We're still in April. The season doesn't start for 7 months. A lot can/will happen between now and then. The roster for next year has not been finalized yet. Geno still has some aces up his sleeve he hasn't played yet.

Let's wait until we know who we're going to battle with next season before we get defensive about somebody not ranking UConn in the top 5 to begin the season. Right now, none of them know anymore than we do, and we're much closer to, and objective about the program that any outside observer. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
At least one other factual error: Japreece Dean succeeded in her appeal and has one more season of eligibility, so UCLA's backcourt will return intact. Oddly that was announced the week of the PAC-12 tournament, so it's not even new news.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Is UConn at #7 more shocking than ND at #17?

Not sure why people are ripping MIN at #18. His rationale isn’t bad. They were down a starter all season. Whalen should be a little savvier this year.

I was actually very disappointed with Whalen as a coach. For such a fiery player, she basically showed no emotion on the sidelines during a time when the season went south like a brick. Perhaps this is the persona she wants to forge and felt she should bide her time as a rookie coach but I hope she get some of her fire going.

And losing Bell, a WNBA draft level player is a big big deal.

Finally, his language The final piece to a return to the NCAA tournament will be the health of guard Gadiva Hubbard, who averaged 13.6 PPG as a sophomore in 2017-18 but missed all of last season because of a foot injury does not sound like an endorsement for a top 20 team.

Reaction Score
I think it’s a little low too. But, if ONO doesn’t develop into a significant offensive threat (as mentioned) or (God forbid) any injury is sustained, 7 is about right. There are deeper and more talented teams out there.
I was surprised to see A&M so high, but they do return everyone and challenged Notre Dame in sweet 16.
I am not surprised A&M is number 5, I think they could win it al, they have everybody returning and a superstar to lead them. I am surprised MSST is rated above SC, we lost more and have no senior leaders.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Definitely seems low. CD/CW/MW as a trio stack up as well as any trio in the country besides Ionescu/Sabally/Hebard. Have a hard time ranking UCONN outside of the top 4 when theyve made 12 straight Final Fours and return a roster with two #1 recruits and two others who were top 5.

Reaction Score
Definitely seems low. CD/CW/MW as a trio stack up as well as any trio in the country besides Ionescu/Sabally/Hebard. Have a hard time ranking UCONN outside of the top 4 when theyve made 12 straight Final Fours and return a roster with two #1 recruits and two others who were top 5.

They lost Collier and Samuelson, who have been pillars to the team the last few years.

Reaction Score
Top 10 Looks close to my earlier prediction. I would flip flop Stanford and OSU. Texas would be in my top 10.

Reaction Score
I was actually very disappointed with Whalen as a coach. For such a fiery player, she basically showed no emotion on the sidelines during a time when the season went south like a brick. Perhaps this is the persona she wants to forge and felt she should bide her time as a rookie coach but I hope she get some of her fire going.

And losing Bell, a WNBA draft level player is a big big deal.

Finally, his language The final piece to a return to the NCAA tournament will be the health of guard Gadiva Hubbard, who averaged 13.6 PPG as a sophomore in 2017-18 but missed all of last season because of a foot injury does not sound like an endorsement for a top 20 team.
Good placement for the Gophers. They will be a little better now that the roles are defined and the return of Hubbard along with a good incoming recruiting class. Losing Bell will hurt some but not much. She was limited offensively. Pitts should have a bigger role now that seniors have graduated and no longer in the way.

Reaction Score

I actually agree with this assessment, but ONO is the key. WE lost our only post presence in collier last year. We will have at least the second best back court in the country next season. What I think will happen is that MW will move to the 3 which is her natural position and Griffin and ONO will be a very young 4/5 combo. Griffin to me, has all the makings of an athletic stretch 4. I actually think we could be better defensively next year.

Reaction Score
Also, Michigan State is way too high, especially with their best returning front line player, Sydney Cooks, looking to transfer. She's a great inside-outside player who can knock down the 3. What a huge hole that will leave on their team.

Reaction Score
I fail to see how UConn at #7 is "shocking." You may disagree with that #7, but hardly out of range. The team was basically #4-#6 this year, and loses as much as any team except ND.

The season hinges on some big unknowns:
* Can ONO build significantly on late season, and become a force in the middle?
* Can CW transition from a prodigy to the best player on the team and focus of defense?
* Will a player emerge as a solid 5th starter?
* Will Geno get a transfer and/or can Coombs/Griffin be a solid contributor?

Reaction Score
I fail to see how UConn at #7 is "shocking." You may disagree with that #7, but hardly out of range. The team was basically #4-#6 this year, and loses as much as any team except ND.

* Can CW transition from a prodigy to the best player on the team and focus of defense?
I think Williams will become the alpha of this team quickly. KLS said as much after final four.
She still has things to prove but showed great potential.

Reaction Score

7th ranked is a perfect place to be. Let the new faces have to live up to the hype. While UCONN just simmers in the weeds.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom