"Shock The World" -new UConn book coming out in October | The Boneyard

"Shock The World" -new UConn book coming out in October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This comment really stuck out to me.

Peter Burns: Several things come to mind when I think about things that surprised me as I wrote the book.
The former players love Calhoun. Not one of them came close to saying anything negative about Calhoun. In 2006, Tate George told me, “A lot of us didn t have our fathers in the household, so you go from having your mother raise you to having a man screaming in your face; it doesn t go over very well when you re the man of your household.”
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-men/s...w-book-on-uconn-basketball-coming-in-october/

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is great stuff. It's important for people outside of Connecticut to realize the man that Calhoun is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tate George should have listened better.

Reaction Score
Thank you.

If you would like an autographed copy of my book and would like to hear me discuss all things Calhoun era, here are my book signings and talks to date:

Other Tiger, Westerly, Rhode Island

Saturday, October 20 at 10:30 AM

90 High Street Westerly, RI 02891
(401) 596-2200

http://www.othertiger.com/

Barnes and Noble, Buckland Hills Mall, Manchester, CT

Saturday, October 20 at 1:00 PM

270 Buckland Hills Dr. Suite 1024
Manchester, CT 06040
860-648-1008

The store is on the lower level of The Shoppes at Buckland Hills, across from Dick's Clothing & Sporting Goods.

For more detailed directions, see

http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/store/2167

Barnes and Noble, Milford, CT

Saturday, October 20 at 4:00 PM

1375 Boston Post Road
Milford, CT 06460
203-301-0371

http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/store/2240

Barnes and Noble, Enfield, CT

Saturday, November 17 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Enfield Commons
25 Hazard Ave
Enfield, CT 06082
860-745-7315

At the Enfield Commons, located off I-91 at exit 47E.

Barnes and Noble, West Hartford, CT

Saturday, November 17 at 1:00 p.m.

Blue Back Square
60 Isham Road
West Hartford, CT 06107
860-236-9900

http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/store/2279?subtype=detailMap#content

Groton Public Library – November 19 at 7:00 pm.

Derby Library – November 20, 2012 at 6:30.

Canton Public Library – December 15 at 1 pm.

Lucy Robbins Welles Library, Newington – Monday, December 17 at 7:00 pm

95 Cedar Street, Newington, CT 06111

Howard Whittemore Memorial Library, Naugatuck, December 18 at 6:30.

Hall Memorial Library, Ellington, CT – December 19 at 6:30

Woodbury Public Library – December 20 at 7 pm.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I've already gotten the kindle version of it and its next on my list to be read. Looking forward to it.

Reaction Score
This is great stuff. It's important for people outside of Connecticut to realize the man that Calhoun is.

Especially since some in the media(Parriah,Norlander etc) seem to be wanting to have the APR issue(non-issue for me) weigh like an anvil around any kudos JC deservedly gets. His value to the state goes so far beyond hoops. And I will tell you the value of the undergraduate degrees both of my children obtained and their subsequent successful careers in education and public relations respectively are directly tied to the UConn 2000 program which would not have happened without JC...there is absolutely no doubt about that.

Here's an early version of the famous "JC jig" I'm not sure what the three guys on their hands and knees are doing. A better view of the action I guess. One of them is Dave Leitao I think. And I still miss Howie! :)

ncb_a_jimcts_400.jpg

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Especially since some in the media(Parriah,Norlander etc) seem to be wanting to have the APR issue(non-issue for me) weigh like an anvil around any kudos JC deservedly gets. His value to the state goes so far beyond hoops. And I will tell you the value of the undergraduate degrees both of my children obtained and their subsequent successful careers in education and public relations respectively are directly tied to the UConn 2000 program which would not have happened without JC...there is absolutely no doubt about that.

Here's an early version of the famous "JC jig" I'm not sure what the three guys on their hands and knees are doing. A better view of the action I guess. One of them is Dave Leitao I think. And I still miss Howie! :)

ncb_a_jimcts_400.jpg

GO HUSKIES!!!

That's Leitao, Glen Miller, Steve Pikiell (Stonybrook Head Coach)

Reaction Score
Bought the book yesterday already up to 2004 Final Four
Couple of spoilers the Boneyard get a mention for its criticism of Brown.
I can't believe the boneyard critical of a player.

My favorite quote.
When commenting on Duke Rules and Emeka getting his early second foul on a fathom block.
He writes "If Chritian Laettner took out a gun and shot an opposing player in a national semifinal ,the ref would call a blocking foul on the guy he shot"

He also mentions we came of age when we beat Georgetown, Syracuse and St Johns in a 7 day period in the dream season.
I don't remember St Johns but I was at the other two games,
Our defense came out so strong it looked like neither team could score on us.
We were in the skyboxes with the Rep whose company leased the Box.
Although he was from Connecticut he was a Nova Fan .
Not unusual before that season.
He always put us down said we couldn't win the big games.
Those games shut him up.
The bad news was it became a whole lot more difficut to get tickets

Reaction Score
Bought the book yesterday already up to 2004 Final Four
Couple of spoilers the Boneyard get a mention for its criticism of Brown.
I can't believe the boneyard critical of a player.

My favorite quote.
When commenting on Duke Rules and Emeka getting his early second foul on a fathom block.
He writes "If Chritian Laettner took out a gun and shot an opposing player in a national semifinal ,the ref would call a blocking foul on the guy he shot"

He also mentions we came of age when we beat Georgetown, Syracuse and St Johns in a 7 day period in the dream season.
I don't remember St Johns but I was at the other two games,
Our defense came out so strong it looked like neither team could score on us.
We were in the skyboxes with the Rep whose company leased the Box.
Although he was from Connecticut he was a Nova Fan .
Not unusual before that season.
He always put us down said we couldn't win the big games.
Those games shut him up.
The bad news was it became a whole lot more difficut to get tickets

I'm glad you like that line. I thought of it well before I wrote the book.

The St. John's game was the first game at Gampel.

Thanks for getting the book. Enjoy it.

Reaction Score
I'm glad you like that line. I thought of it well before I wrote the book.

The St. John's game was the first game at Gampel.

Thanks for getting the book. Enjoy it.

The St. John's game was at the end of the month.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
And what is the author's resume????

He was born in pre-war Canada - which war, he doesn't say.

His father was a bank teller, his mom a stripper. They met when she was exchanging single whatever-you-call-Canadian-Money for larger denominations.

They had four children, three of whom turned out quite well and one who went off the rails and became a Villanova fan. He was eventually deported for claiming that Molson tasted 'skunky' and settled in Connecticut.

Then, he wrote a book and google'd UConn fan sites. And he has webbed toes.

That brings us to the present day.

I bought the Kindle book but have not quite gotten around to downloading it yet.

Reaction Score
And what is the author's resume????

I'm from Ansonia, CT and have two degrees from UConn (92 and 94). I have followed UConn for as long as I can remember. I'm a professor of political science at Loyola University New Orleans.

After Hurricane Katrina, I decided to write a book about something I liked and knew. Since then, I have read everything I could find about Calhoun and UConn basketball. I have read thousands of books, articles, stories, websites, and whatever had something to do with UConn basketball.

I have gone to lots of games over the years. I went to the first and third national championships. I saw the first Big East Tournament championship, the Tate George game, the NIT semis in 1988, the first game at Gampel, Calhoun's first Big East game, Calhoun's first Big East tournament game, Laettner's shot in 1990, the Big East Tournament in 1998 and 1999, the win at Indiana in 2008 and many others. I have seen UConn play in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Washington, DC, Florida, Louisiana, Indiana, and Texas.

I interviewed many coaches and players including Kemba Walker, Ray Allen, Rashad Anderson, Taliek Brown, Caron Butler, Greg Economou, Khalid El-Amin, Lyman DePriest, Kevin Freeman, Rip Hamilton, Rudy Gay, Tate George, Ben Gordon, John Gwynn, Kirk King, Travis Knight, Donyell Marshall, Ricky Moore, Emeka Okafor, Kevin Ollie, Steve Pikiell, Rod Sellers, James Spradling, Charlie Villanueva, Souleymane Wane. (coaches): George Blaney, Jim Calhoun, Howie Dickenman, Karl Hobbs, Dave Leitao, Glen Miller, Tom Moore, Steve Pikiell. I interviewed some people, like Ben Gordon, Caron Butler, and Charlie Villaneuva, more than once.

Plus, over the last seven years, anytime I went to a game or met a UConn student, fan, professor, or graduate, I asked them about UConn basketball.

The book has a lot of cool stories. It allows you to remember the good times and learn somethings that you may not have known.

The back of the book includes lists about things like best players, best games, best regular season wins, more underrated wins, and most underrated players. It also has a list of the prominent players from each team and the season schedule from each year of the Calhoun era.

You can purchase a hardcover or kindle version here:
http://www.amazon.com/Shock-World-U...9120456&sr=8-1&keywords=shock+the+world+uconn

Thanks,

Peter

Here is a list of my book signings, which will include a short talk and question and answers:

(401) 596-2200

Manchester, CT 06040
860-648-1008

The store is on the lower level of The Shoppes at Buckland Hills, across from Dick's Clothing & Sporting Goods.

1375 Boston Post Road
Milford, CT 06460
203-301-0371

Enfield Commons
25 Hazard Ave
Enfield, CT 06082
860-745-7315

Blue Back Square
60 Isham Road
West Hartford, CT 06107
860-236-9900

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Peter Burns will be at the UCONN CO-OP signing books before the Georgetown Game on Feb. 27th. He will also be at the store in November signing copies should anyone want to give the Husky Fan on their list something special for the Holidays!

Reaction Score
I'm from Ansonia, CT and have two degrees from UConn (92 and 94). I have followed UConn for as long as I can remember. I'm a professor of political science at Loyola University New Orleans.

After Hurricane Katrina, I decided to write a book about something I liked and knew. Since then, I have read everything I could find about Calhoun and UConn basketball. I have read thousands of books, articles, stories, websites, and whatever had something to do with UConn basketball.

I have gone to lots of games over the years. I went to the first and third national championships. I saw the first Big East Tournament championship, the Tate George game, the NIT semis in 1988, the first game at Gampel, Calhoun's first Big East game, Calhoun's first Big East tournament game, Laettner's shot in 1990, the Big East Tournament in 1998 and 1999, the win at Indiana in 2008 and many others. I have seen UConn play in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Washington, DC, Florida, Louisiana, Indiana, and Texas.

I interviewed many coaches and players including Kemba Walker, Ray Allen, Rashad Anderson, Taliek Brown, Caron Butler, Greg Economou, Khalid El-Amin, Lyman DePriest, Kevin Freeman, Rip Hamilton, Rudy Gay, Tate George, Ben Gordon, John Gwynn, Kirk King, Travis Knight, Donyell Marshall, Ricky Moore, Emeka Okafor, Kevin Ollie, Steve Pikiell, Rod Sellers, James Spradling, Charlie Villanueva, Souleymane Wane. (coaches): George Blaney, Jim Calhoun, Howie Dickenman, Karl Hobbs, Dave Leitao, Glen Miller, Tom Moore, Steve Pikiell. I interviewed some people, like Ben Gordon, Caron Butler, and Charlie Villaneuva, more than once.

Plus, over the last seven years, anytime I went to a game or met a UConn student, fan, professor, or graduate, I asked them about UConn basketball.

The book has a lot of cool stories. It allows you to remember the good times and learn somethings that you may not have known.

The back of the book includes lists about things like best players, best games, best regular season wins, more underrated wins, and most underrated players. It also has a list of the prominent players from each team and the season schedule from each year of the Calhoun era.

You can purchase a hardcover or kindle version here:
http://www.amazon.com/Shock-World-UConn-Basketball-Calhoun/dp/1555537774/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349120456&sr=8-1&keywords=shock the world uconn

Thanks,

Peter

Here is a list of my book signings, which will include a short talk and question and answers:

(401) 596-2200

Manchester, CT 06040
860-648-1008

1375 Boston Post Road
Milford, CT 06460
203-301-0371

Enfield Commons
25 Hazard Ave
Enfield, CT 06082
860-745-7315

Blue Back Square
60 Isham Road
West Hartford, CT 06107
860-236-9900

Thanks, Peter! I downloaded the ebook for my Kindle Fire. It is wonderful. A must read for any Husky fan!

Reaction Score
The book is available now in bookstores, including the UConn Co-op. You can also purchase the book or a kindle/nook version at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.com.

Here is the list of book-signings for October:

(401) 596-2200

Manchester, CT 06040
860-648-1008

For more detailed directions, see http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/store/2167

1375 Boston Post Road
Milford, CT 06460
203-301-0371

For more detailed directions, see http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/store/2240

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom