Shirreffs - did he have a concussion? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shirreffs - did he have a concussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Houston came out of that dog & cat fight a lot worse than UConn did. They could be down to their third string QB and minus a tailback for the Navy game this Friday. Their offensive line was already hurting and I'm sure is pretty sore after that rumble. Too bad for Tommy Myers if he is out for the remainder of the season. If I was greedy I would want Shirreffs back for Temple but save him for the bowl game. Arkheel and Ron Johnson are both banged up but hopefully can go at least 90% in Philly. The defense seemed to get through the Houston game relatively unscathed so they should be primed to go bird hunting next weekend.

One thing is for certain, UConn won't be sneaking up on Temple after this glorious victory.
Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
The guy who hit him was Elandon Roberts, leading tackler in the AAC and one of their best players. I was getting into it good with some Houston fans on twitter about the hit, apparently he is a good team guy, leader, and no history of dirty/chippy play...none of them thought it was malicious, despite my attempts to convince them otherwise. Agreed to disagree in the end with both sides hoping for no long term impact for BS.

Reaction Score
Well, Coach Herman, teach your players not to lead with their helmet.

Was it malicious? No. Was it a preventable hit? Yes.

This is exactly right. If the Houston kid didn't lead with his helmet, there is no targeting and probably no injury.

Reaction Score
Sure looked like he was in loopy land for a minute, on his back, hands out. The d!ckwad who clocked him (targeting, ejected) kneeled down with him and seemed to apologize, gave him a pat on the tummy. Didn't look like it was intentional, it just happened. It's a violent game.

The hit was intentional. But it was clear from the kid's reaction that it wasn't done with malice, and he clearly felt badly about it the moment he hit him.

Or, as we lawyers say, there was no "malice aforethought."

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The hit was intentional. But it was clear from the kid's reaction that it wasn't done with malice, and he clearly felt badly about it the moment he hit him.

An "absence of malice"?

I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on TV.

Reaction Score
He probably launched himself or at least the insticts to launch set in before the slide started. Regrettable play for everyone involved but that's football.

Reaction Score

I saw this too on the video. It wasn't quite Lawrence Taylor reaction to destroying Joe Theismann, but he clearly was focused on Shireffs well being, instead of the direction the play went after he separated him from the ball, and his senses.

Reaction Score
I just saw a replay of the hit. Didn't look as bad at the game. There was no way Sherrieffs was coming back. I'm in the medical field (not a doctor) but he went totally tonic after he got hit. You can see his hands are in a weird position and stay that way for a little while. He definitely got rattled.

Reaction Score
I just saw a replay of the hit. Didn't look as bad at the game. There was no way Sherrieffs was coming back. I'm in the medical field (not a doctor) but he went totally tonic after he got hit. You can see his hands are in a weird position and stay that way for a little while. He definitely got rattled.

I agree. I've got a bit of medical training. Shocker - I know everything. Tonic is a good word. He was lights out after the second contact. It's not the helmet to helmet, but the helmet to ground that does it most the time. The slide, the angle of the hit, drove his head into the ground. He got a double impact and it certainly did knock him silly. He'll need to clear concussion protocol, whatever it is at the school now before he's back. He seemed to come back around quick - but it's good they took his helmet away.

Reaction Score
It wasn't a dirty play. You can argue it was wreckless, but not dirty. You can't tell a QB is going to slide until he actually slides. As a defender you can't afford to wait the extra stride or two to figure it out. Watched the replay 5 times last night, he tried to hit him with his shoulder but i think he underestimated how quick BS is.

Reaction Score
only the player on the field that hit knows what he was doing, but as the esteemed counselor noted, with this aformentiong aftermalice comment - the player's immediate reaction is entirely inconsistent with the idea that he hit our QB with the intent to give him a serious headache. I don't think it was a dirty hit, but the rules are the rules, and maybe it shouldn't be called "targeting" for exactly the reasons mentioned here, but you're not supposed to knock a player out of the game anymore with a head shot. Not supposed to hit them in the head like that anymore at all. Can't make exceptions for accidents.

Reaction Score
It was a brutal looking hit, and his arms went stiff after his head hit the turf. Scary moment. Hoping he can bounce back. I know many on here have been saying he needs to learn how to slide etc., just when he does the right thing he pays the ultimate price. Hopefully there are no ill effects both physically nor mentally (i.e. flinching or being apprehensive to running).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Extremely border line "dirty" play and five years now it will seem like a barbaric play.

It's been 4-5 years now that leagues have been targeting (nice pun Chin) the human missile play. Anyone at the college level has been taught and has had time to unlearn earlier training on launching head first.

Did he intentionally aim for Shireff's head with his helmet? Doubtful. And if he did the chances of timing it perfectly are marginal.

It is fair to say any time a player intentionally launches himself head first towards the upper body of another player that it's dirty.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It was a brutal looking hit, and his arms went stiff after his head hit the turf. Scary moment. Hoping he can bounce back. I know many on here have been saying he needs to learn how to slide etc., just when he does the right thing he pays the ultimate price. Hopefully there are no ill effects both physically nor mentally (i.e. flinching or being apprehensive to running).

On the TV broadcast Hawkins called it perfectly. He did the obligatory "I'm no doctor" bit but immediately keyed in on the involuntary movement of Shireff's arms as soon as he got hit.

Great job by the UConn med staff on the sidelines. They made it perfectly clear that he was done when they took away his helmet.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In tonight's OU-TCU game, some d!ckwad Horned Toad was ejected for targeting and clocking the head of the Sooners' QB which banged on the turk. Luckily for OU, their QB didn't look nearly as loopy as BS, didn't miss a play, and soon after had a great run leading to a FG. Yup, it can be a violent game.
Just saw that hit on replay. The OU doctors, trainers and Stoops should be fired for putting that kid's life in danger. It was obvious he thought he was Batman and he was only taken out at halftime after admitting he had a small headache. The only thing the doctors were monitoring was OU'S playoff chances. The we're backed into a corner by the player.

Reaction Score
What I don't understand is why it took so long to confirm the ejection, that was about as fitting to the rule as youll see,defensless player, using the crown of the helmet etc., but it took forever to review it

Reaction Score
I'm no doctor either but I'd like us to be cautious about clearing Bryant for this week's game. I'd rather have him back for a Bowl game and more importantly next year.

And I hope we get Thomas involved earlier and throwing more to Newsome out of the backfield. Maybe give Max a few inside touches for 3 -5 yards here and there. They'll come with pressure until we figure out a way to burn them on it. And please occasionally throw on first down or we'll constantly be putting (probably) Boyle in 2nd or 3rd and long making him a huge target or just surendering the ball running draws and going 3 and out. It's amazing how Boyle seems to get his shots on short notice against the best teams we play.

Temple is s solid and balanced team coming off a tough loss to USF. We can't leave our defense on the field for long stretches or we'll get shredded.

Reaction Score
If Bryant is out next week then who will be our backup QB?

You would assume Garrett Anderson right?

Will he play fb next week too?

Is there any chance that Tyler Davis is the backup?

I'll be interested to see the depth chart this week.

Reaction Score

If Davis is the back up I will drive Freescooter to Warde's house and demand Diaco be fired. :rolleyes:

As a side note, I believe I read that UConn had no sacks and no turnovers in the same game since fire was invented. :D

Sad irony is our QB gets knocked out in a game with no sacks.

Reaction Score

I don't think your question is silly at all. The fact that they moved Anderson to FB meant to me that ultimately they expect Davis to beat him out next year. The fact that he kept playing FB when Bryant went down absolutely made me ask if Davis was Boyle's backup yesterday.

We played Puyol in the last game of his true frosh season because of injury and then redshirted him the following year. We could absolutely do that with Davis at QB if the need was there.

Hopefully we will never know. And I certainly don't expect the depth chart to tell you what would really happen. It will just repeat what it said this week.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was a cheap shot, but rather a player that hasn't learned to not lead with his helmet. Coaches drilled it into our heads in pop warner that you do NOT lead with your helmet, then I got to high school and had a coach telling us to "use your helmet like a weapon." A lot of these hits are on players' former coaches teaching them dangerous techniques

And when a QB slides feet first, don't hit him. That's very basic since 8th grade or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom