Shea Ralph | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shea Ralph

Reaction Score
His successor will be Shea, Banghart, or Moseley. Whom ever has the most success within the next 5 years.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The idea that Banghart would leave the head coaching job at UNC to succeed Geno is just crazy. At least Shea and Marisa have a connection to UConn.

Reaction Score
While I initially thought due to her baby this was an unusual move, Shea seems relaxed and confident. Normally a very intense person in a positive way, predict good things will happen to Vandy's recruiting efforts and her career.
Her daughter will be three in December. She is no longer a Baby.

Reaction Score
Do you mind saying why a pro coach would be a mistake? Just because two or three have not been successful in college? Those were very different cases.

In Coach Miller's case, he has college experience both as an assistant and as a head coach. And he obviously has no problem with living in Eastern Connecticut.

Or is this about the fact that he has no UConn connection? Or maybe that he is a gay man?
Recruiting

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Curt Miller's last job in WCBB at IU did not go well. No way he wants the UConn job or that he would ever be considered for the UConn job. He is very well suited for the pro game and his success speaks to that.
I didn't know anything about the circumstances of Coach Miller's departure from Indiana University, so I googled that topic. I found an article from the Indianapolis Star in 2014 (immediately after his resignation) of which the following was the lead sentence:

Curt Miller, who in two seasons engineered a remarkable turnaround of the IU women's basketball program, stunned the Indiana community with his resignation today.

The article went on to say that he attributed his resignation to "personal health and family reasons". It also said that he took a team that had been 6-24 in the last season before his arrival, and was able to get 11 wins in his first season and 21 in his second season. He finished his stint at IU with a record of 32-32.

I would also note that Geno himself recommended Miller to the Mohegan Sun management as a candidate for the Sun head coaching job.

Obviously I have no idea what the "personal health and family reasons" were that prompted his resignation from IU. I also have no idea whether there is "no way he wants the UConn job", and I suspect that you have no idea of his views on this subject either. With regard to whether "he would ever be considered for the UConn job", I see no reason why the University would not consider him unless they have established a requirement that Geno's replacement must have prior UConn connections, must be female, or must be heterosexual. I certainly hope that the University would not impose any requirements which would interfere with selecting the best person for the job.

Recruiting

Obviously he was able to recruit successfully enough at IU to produce a big improvement in their win-loss record in two years, so I don't think that would be a concern.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm missing something.
What about Jamelle Elliot?
HC at Cincinnati for a number of years.
Already on board as assistant.
Part of the UCONN family, and certainly familiar with the Husky culture.

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm missing something.
What about Jamelle Elliot?
HC at Cincinnati for a number of years.
Already on board as assistant.
Part of the UCONN family, and certainly familiar with the Husky culture.
Read that third line and then stop wondering.

I think Jamelle is a fantastic assistant, but a HC she does not make.

As for this thread-I too think the plan is for Shea to come back, if she knocks it out of the park at Vandy. I also agree that Mosely, Banghart, and Berube will be on the list.

As for other names, I'd like to throw out Kara Lawson-I think she might be the rising star among young coaches and I would happily give her the reigns, for us, and of course, to really piss of the Lady Vol faithful.

Reaction Score

As for this thread-I too think the plan is for Shea to come back, if she knocks it out of the park at Vandy. I also agree that Mosely, Banghart, and Berube will be on the list.

As for other names, I'd like to throw out Kara Lawson-I think she might be the rising star among young coaches and I would happily give her the reigns, for us, and of course, to really piss of the Lady Vol faithful.
If (when) Shea is successful at Vandy- are you sure she would want to leave?
Fantastic facilities, P-5 affiliation, school well financed and her success would indicate that she is a very good recruiter.
Why would she want to follow someone else’s legacy when she would be well on the way to creating her own?
Just throwing this concept out there.

Reaction Score
Along with Shea, Vandy also hired her husband, who was HC at UMASS-Lowell, in a WCBB position.
If and when Shea leaves, would they then move him to the top spot?
Or would he come to Storrs with Shea?
As long as we are daydreaming.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think Sue has a place in Greenwich. So hey...ya never know!
A cautionary tale of an excellent player that was a poor coach. Cindy was fired as an assistant at Boston U, too. She now coaches her high school alma mater’s team.

Reaction Score
I think this whole notion about the difficulties of 'following a legend' is overworked. We all follow legends of one kind or another, without stumbling. The next coach at Uconn will be successful or a failure not because they are following GA & CD; rather, it will be because they put things in place that may or not have succeeded. I like all the names being tossed around-- Shea R; M. M; Banghart, etc. Diane isn't coming to Storrs-- what would her spouse be doing? I can see Sue and the Seattle Storm coach-- Quinne as HC and asst, etc. My fantasies.
My gut tells me that the vast majority of this 'follow- a-legend' failure happened because the legends themselves were little more than an image of what they once were. Knowing when to go/quit isn't easy. And, sometimes those handed the rein see the inherited playbook as the bible. They were simply not ready for the task at hand.
I am worried about something else-- even with GA & CD at the helm. Yes, we are still getting the top players, but we are losing out to Stanford. And if some of the other private schools begin to make serious inroads, we may not be competitive for the top academic kids. Even though they will list us. This is not a problem for schools like So.C, Tenn, Miss, LS, etc., because they do not really compete with academic elite kids. I'm not saying these are the kids we need but, Stanford ends up colonizing that group (more than before when we had our hands deep into that pocket) what other pockets are around? This might also be a problem for ND!

Reaction Score

In regards to Elliott, two of the greatest managers in Yankee history, Casey Stengel and Joe Torre, were hired with very suspect previous tenures as managers. Excellent examples can be made pro and con with merely weighing past records but a favorite mantra of mine is ALL numbers are meaningless without an understanding and analysis of context.

Reaction Score
In regards to Elliott, two of the greatest managers in Yankee history, Casey Stengel and Joe Torre, were hired with very suspect previous tenures as managers. Excellent examples can be made pro and con with merely weighing past records but a favorite mantra of mine is ALL numbers are meaningless without an understanding and analysis of context.
Funny what a bunch of money helped joe torre do ……just stay out of the way joe

Reaction Score
You can add Bill Belichick to your list. Failed miserably at Cleveland but learned what it took to become great at his next job.
But, you're asking a lot of Jamelle if you bring her in to take over for likely the best coach in women's (or maybe men's too) history when she didn't do well at UC. Not everyone is suited for the top job and, in fact, some may be excellent assistants or associates and that's where they are most comfortable and most successful.

Reaction Score
Do you mind saying why a pro coach would be a mistake? Just because two or three have not been successful in college? Those were very different cases.

In Coach Miller's case, he has college experience both as an assistant and as a head coach. And he obviously has no problem with living in Eastern Connecticut.

Or is this about the fact that he has no UConn connection? Or maybe that he is a gay man?
I don't understand your need to bring sexual orientation into this discussion but, if you're saying Connecticut wouldn't accept him, that makes no sense based on his success with the Sun.

In fact, being a homosexual male may be a positive for Miller as he likely won't ever be accused of "hitting on" his players as a few male coaches in the women's game have (Tyler Summitt for one).

It's probably a moot point anyway as, depending on the salary offered, Miller may not be interested in chasing around the country for recruits after his success in the pro game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don't overlook Curt Miller, the Connecticut Sun coach who was just named WNBA Coach of the Year. If he takes the Sun to a WNBA title this year and maybe one more time before Geno retires, he will have the best resume of all the possible contenders.
Good one, never thought of him! He's good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Failed miserably at Cleveland but learned what it took to become great at his next job.
Urban myth. He took them to the playoffs. He caught slack for benching washed Bernie Kosar and was caught in the moving out of town mess.

Reaction Score
You can add Bill Belichick to your list. Failed miserably at Cleveland but learned what it took to become great at his next job.
But, you're asking a lot of Jamelle if you bring her in to take over for likely the best coach in women's (or maybe men's too) history when she didn't do well at UC. Not everyone is suited for the top job and, in fact, some may be excellent assistants or associates and that's where they are most comfortable and most successful.

Urban myth. He took them to the playoffs. He caught slack for benching washed Bernie Kosar and was caught in the moving out of town mess.

Sometimes the head coach in the NF is at the mercy of meddling ownership. Just look at the Giants. When you measure the success of a wcbb coach find out their recruiting budget and their facilities. Cinci fired Elliot just as their new basketball practice facility was being completed. Even Geno commented on that.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Recruiting
Curt Miller has been a successful coach no matter where he has been. You don't step into a Big 10 job without any experience, so what about before that hire? He was at Bowling Green before that job, compiling a 258-92 record, conference title 8 years in a row, and coach of the year in the MAC 6 times.

Why does the next coach have to be a UConn grad as some have mentioned? Geno made UConn what it is today, so a big question is, are the recruits coming here because it is UConn, or are they coming because Geno is here? If its Geno, than we need a big time coach to come here, and I don't believe any great college coach would want the job. If the coach doesn't already have a reputation for winning, than the program will slowly take a break from "greatness". Curt Miller rebuilt the Conn. Sun after the disastrous run of his predecessor, turning them from a non playoff team to the favorite to win the WNBA championship this year. He is a great coach and I believe recruits would love to play for a successful pro coach, especially at the number one school in the history of WCBB. As far as recruiting, thats what assistants are for.

Reaction Score
I am in complete agreement with your last sentence; as to the preceeding sentence, whether it is asking a lot of Elliott or not is why one would add the context of her experience at Cincinnati into the equation.

Reaction Score
Geno's successor has to maintain the culture/mindset of winning & know how to recruit top talent. If you dont get the right person, this machine can spiral out of control quickly. See Tennessee.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom