Sharma and adams or stone and newman

Sharma and adams or stone and newman

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Yeah - that is a pretty effective counter-argument as a bottom line and I certainly understand it. I can tell you that I know a Kentucky fan my age who shares my viewpoint. He fondly remembers "The Unforgettables" (the team that lost to Duke) for staying with the program through dark times and being Kentucky guys through and through, (and the Pitino-Tubby teams had a lot of program guys like Wayne Turner and Tony Delk). Now it just feels like they rent players for a year who happen to wear the jersey and don't have any particularly deep connection to the program. He said he enjoyed the NC ride a couple years ago and wouldn't exactly trade it back, but that it's just not the same when you root for entirely new teams every year. I'm sure there are other UK fans who would disagree with him, of course.

Every Kentucky fan I spoke to in Maui in 2010 and subsequent Final Fours said exactly the same thing. Literately, every one I spoke with said they felt like the one and dones had really changed the feeling of the program and longed for the old days. Granted, most of them were older (over 40 probably) so maybe its a generational thing.

Reaction Score
without sounding like a (29yo) crank, part of the fun of college bball is watching kids grow, mature, fail/succeed. We have had great luck with this model, of course, and are very spoiled. But watching Kemba/Bazz mature from precocious but wild freshmen into mature leaders was like 90% of the deal for me.

With that being said, **come on over Diamond!! Join the family!!**

Reaction Score
Every Kentucky fan I spoke to in Maui in 2010 and subsequent Final Fours said exactly the same thing. Literately, every one I spoke with said they felt like the one and dones had really changed the feeling of the program and longed for the old days. Granted, most of them were older (over 40 probably) so maybe its a generational thing.
They should be pissed at the nba for not allowing kids to come straight out of hs

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Plus, Malik Newmans website screams "I'm more concerned about my brand and getting to the NBA than I am for playing college ball"
Isn't every major college bball player concern going to the nba? I really don't understand comments like this... Boatright has had these concerns since his freshman year. You think Ollie wouldn't be able to coach him well enough to get him focused on playing for the name in front of the jersey?

Reaction Score
Isn't every major college bball player concern going to the nba? I really don't understand comments like this... Boatright has had these concerns since his freshman year. You think Ollie wouldn't be able to coach him well enough to get him focused on playing for the name in front of the jersey?
I hear you, but I also consider Boatright and UCONN both exceptions to the rule, and even then, we watched JMCD and Roscoe bounce when they could have been names here. Yeah, they all have NBA dreams, but I'd personally rather leave the more extreme cases to KU, UK, UCLA, and 'Zona.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I hear you, but I also consider Boatright and UCONN both exceptions to the rule, and even then, we watched JMCD and Roscoe bounce when they could have been names here. Yeah, they all have NBA dreams, but I'd personally rather leave the more extreme cases to KU, UK, UCLA, and 'Zona.
We just have to agree to disagree on that then. It's well known that I would love to have talented guys like Malik and Stone come play for Ollie and see what he could do with that type of talent after seeing how all of our other players have developed under his watch.

Even if it's for a year, look at how a guy like Amida and Terrence developed and grew over their freshman year here,

Reaction Score
AtD. Youre right, Malik + Stone + UCONN could be a beautiful thing, especially if they have the right attitude, but I'm more than happy with the results of Amida and Terrence especially b/c they bot in from day 1, and we didn't have to go pandering.

Reaction Score
AtD. Youre right, Malik + Stone + UCONN could be a beautiful thing, especially if they have the right attitude, but I'm more than happy with the results of Amida and Terrence especially b/c they bot in from day 1, and we didn't have to go pandering.

I don't think we have to go pandering for Newman or Stone, not to mention the fact that I wouldn't be surprised if Newman and Stone have better freshman seasons than anything we ever get out of Samuel and Brimah. I like those guys, but I don't know if they'll ever be stars.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Kids committing here involves being bought in from day 1. If they didn't want to buy to a program they'd be somewhere like Kentucky. Ollie tells recruits all the time if they come here they have to buy in to what he's doing and they listen because unlike other coaches this played in the NBA for 13 years. He fully knows what he is talking about with anything involving making and lasting in the league.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't think we have to go pandering for Newman or Stone, not to mention the fact that I wouldn't be surprised if Newman and Stone have better freshman seasons than anything we ever get out of Samuel and Brimah. I like those guys, but I don't know if they'll ever be stars.
They both will be stars by the time they are done here. Brimah will be a lottery pick who could win college defensive player of the year in the future. Terrence is a typical tough New York guard whose strong and can finish anywhere around the basket but is also very unselfish with the ball. Seems like a great passer from his time on the court. Very Andre Miller-like. I can't wait to see how these young guys develop under Ollie.

Reaction Score
Although I think I've seen glimpses of star quality out both Amida and Terrence, that's just a side benefit to me. Really I just want them to bring home more NCs for daddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom