Sharma and adams or stone and newman | The Boneyard

Sharma and adams or stone and newman

Sharma and adams or stone and newman

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Although Adams and Sharma may be better for the program in the long run I couldn't resist the splash of signing Stone and Newman would be.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
This will basically have the same results as the "Adams or Newman" thread.

Reaction Score
Adams, Newman & Stone.... then we can call it a recruiting season & no need for polls as such for a while.

Reaction Score
Whoever commits first.

Enoch, Adams, Newman, Stone, Trier, Ali, Sharma, D. Jones.

There are 2 or 3 spots left. UConn waits for no one.

Reaction Score
I'd take either pair but I still can't figure out why this board seems averse to potentially one and done players. I feel like the first thought of many when discussing one and doners Calipari and his annual merry band of mercenaries at Kentucky.

Does anyone on this board really believe that our coach would ever allow that kind of thing to happen? Does anyone really think that Ollie would turn a blind eye to character in a pursuit to land as many stars as possible in a class? No chance. I think it's beyond ignorant to immediately equate being highly rated by recruiting services with being an NBA obsessed narcissist.

Think about how well our program has done with a combination of unheralded players who turned into champions and the kids with a bourgeoisie talent and a proletariat attitude. Now, imagine that continued, only with even more highly rated (and, again, high character) kids and our usual contingent of diamonds in the rough. Our highs would be high and our lows would be champions. Feel like you've got to tuck your suddenly turgid member up and behind your belt yet? Exactly. And as for the idea that a program is better off not having to replace kids every year -
a. there's zero chance we ever have an entire class bounce out on us and
b. any kid who leaves for the NBA would have to show both tremendous potential talent and production on the court for us. Sign me up.

I'm sorry for the rant, I just find it humorous that we as a group have so timidly embraced our successes. To the victors go the recruiting spoils. However, those spoils won't need not necessarily ruin the blue collar, hardworking coach or program we've all grown to love so much.

Reaction Score
Count me in the "whoever commits first" camp, but it would be fun to land top guys like Newman and Stone. Has UConn ever had the consensus #1 recruiting class?

Reaction Score
Stone and Newman. While Adams and Sharma may stick for 3-4 years, the presence of Stone and Newman can only help out recruiting immensely if they prosper at UConn and it will show big talent believes in UConn. I don't want to become UK, but I wouldn't mind getting some big recruits under Ollies guidance.

Reaction Score
I dont get when people say they dont want a player for just one year. No I dont want to be Kentucky with all one and dones but it wouldnt hurt to bring in a top 5 recruit or two here and there.

Reaction Score
I'd take either pair but I still can't figure out why this board seems averse to potentially one and done players. .

Just speaking for myself and not the whole Boneyard, but it doesn't have to do with the character of the kids. I've long said that you only have a small window of your life to make profit off your athletic skill, and if you're one of the select few in a position to do it and you're ready, no point in waiting. College will be there later after you make millions.

My personal aversion to becoming a one and done factory is more selfish, since I have more fun following the team the way we do it now. I enjoy the journey of watching guys get better over time and really become part of the program. Even if there are ups and downs along the way, it is part of a long story arc that provides more entertainment. The guys who won that title this year put a lot into our program and there's a certain extra joy to seeing Boat (or Rashamel Jones) end up with the ball and seeing the looks on their faces. Boat went thru all those ups and downs as a freshman with the NCAA, took a lot of criticism, couldn't play in the postseason. Rashamel Jones lost his starting spot, went through a wicked slump, and stuck with it. As fans, we could never understand the emotion those guys felt in those moments, but the little sliver of that feeling we're able to share with them through a tv screen feels genuine. Randle and Young wanted to win, I'm sure, but it wasn't the culmination of anything. The experience of rooting for guys like that for five months is a little empty, through no fault of their own. They aren't bad kids - they just didn't have enough time to build up the same sort of sweat capital.

All that said, I would always take a talented one and done who could fill a void around an existing nucleus (Kromah was a sort of one and done, and was well worth it). I just don't want the program to revolve around them. Everyone brings up Drummond, who was a little different as a local kid paying his own way and might have come back if we weren't banned, but Henefeld was a one and done in 1990 and helped transform the program. I'd do that again. And of course you don't necessarily know who will be one and done (Lamb could have potentially rode the 2011 title to the NBA and nobody could have foreseen that - Harrison Barmes was a sure one and done until he wasn't).

Anyway, I guess the point is that the world wouldn't end if we had a one and done or two, but I don't want to put revolving doors in the new practice facility either. We might win more, but I'd enjoy it a little less, which is why I say my opinion comes from a selfish place

Reaction Score
I could never get less enjoyment out of winning more.. unless we were cheating to do it

Reaction Score
I could never get less enjoyment out of winning more.. unless we were cheating to do it

Yeah - that is a pretty effective counter-argument as a bottom line and I certainly understand it. I can tell you that I know a Kentucky fan my age who shares my viewpoint. He fondly remembers "The Unforgettables" (the team that lost to Duke) for staying with the program through dark times and being Kentucky guys through and through, (and the Pitino-Tubby teams had a lot of program guys like Wayne Turner and Tony Delk). Now it just feels like they rent players for a year who happen to wear the jersey and don't have any particularly deep connection to the program. He said he enjoyed the NC ride a couple years ago and wouldn't exactly trade it back, but that it's just not the same when you root for entirely new teams every year. I'm sure there are other UK fans who would disagree with him, of course.

We've never exactly been hurting for wins the way we do it, but we do sometimes have lean years as teams develop so there's a tradeoff (although Kentucky had a lean year when that batch of one and dones didn't perform up to snuff, so their way isn't foolproof either). There's just no question that the guys who won the title this year wanted it for UConn as well as themselves. And as a fan, you wanted to see us win the title for the players, as well as for UConn (and your own bragging rights as a fan). I mean, you had to feel happy for Bazz/Boat/Giff/DD/TO for enduring and climbing to the mountaintop. That's an element that wouldn't be there if Kentucky won ("after all Aaron Harrison went through by being told to pass more in February, it's so great to see him reach the top").

Reasonable minds can disagree of course. Ultimately, fans want to see their team win more than anything else.

Reaction Score
I'd take either pair but I still can't figure out why this board seems averse to potentially one and done players. I feel like the first thought of many when discussing one and doners Calipari and his annual merry band of mercenaries at Kentucky.

Does anyone on this board really believe that our coach would ever allow that kind of thing to happen? Does anyone really think that Ollie would turn a blind eye to character in a pursuit to land as many stars as possible in a class? No chance. I think it's beyond ignorant to immediately equate being highly rated by recruiting services with being an NBA obsessed narcissist.

Think about how well our program has done with a combination of unheralded players who turned into champions and the kids with a bourgeoisie talent and a proletariat attitude. Now, imagine that continued, only with even more highly rated (and, again, high character) kids and our usual contingent of diamonds in the rough. Our highs would be high and our lows would be champions. Feel like you've got to tuck your suddenly turgid member up and behind your belt yet? Exactly. And as for the idea that a program is better off not having to replace kids every year -
a. there's zero chance we ever have an entire class bounce out on us and
b. any kid who leaves for the NBA would have to show both tremendous potential talent and production on the court for us. Sign me up.

I'm sorry for the rant, I just find it humorous that we as a group have so timidly embraced our successes. To the victors go the recruiting spoils. However, those spoils won't need not necessarily ruin the blue collar, hardworking coach or program we've all grown to love so much.
It's too bad almost none of this is fact. If it were fact, sign me up.

Reaction Score
Not sure I would want a 1 year rental of newman
Not sure I want a 1-2yr rental of anybody who wants to show up and dictate playing terms by bringing their partner or whatever.

Reaction Score
Just speaking for myself and not the whole Boneyard, but it doesn't have to do with the character of the kids. I've long said that you only have a small window of your life to make profit off your athletic skill, and if you're one of the select few in a position to do it and you're ready, no point in waiting. College will be there later after you make millions.

My personal aversion to becoming a one and done factory is more selfish, since I have more fun following the team the way we do it now. I enjoy the journey of watching guys get better over time and really become part of the program. Even if there are ups and downs along the way, it is part of a long story arc that provides more entertainment. The guys who won that title this year put a lot into our program and there's a certain extra joy to seeing Boat (or Rashamel Jones) end up with the ball and seeing the looks on their faces. Boat went thru all those ups and downs as a freshman with the NCAA, took a lot of criticism, couldn't play in the postseason. Rashamel Jones lost his starting spot, went through a wicked slump, and stuck with it. As fans, we could never understand the emotion those guys felt in those moments, but the little sliver of that feeling we're able to share with them through a tv screen feels genuine. Randle and Young wanted to win, I'm sure, but it wasn't the culmination of anything. The experience of rooting for guys like that for five months is a little empty, through no fault of their own. They aren't bad kids - they just didn't have enough time to build up the same sort of sweat capital.

All that said, I would always take a talented one and done who could fill a void around an existing nucleus (Kromah was a sort of one and done, and was well worth it). I just don't want the program to revolve around them. Everyone brings up Drummond, who was a little different as a local kid paying his own way and might have come back if we weren't banned, but Henefeld was a one and done in 1990 and helped transform the program. I'd do that again. And of course you don't necessarily know who will be one and done (Lamb could have potentially rode the 2011 title to the NBA and nobody could have foreseen that - Harrison Barmes was a sure one and done until he wasn't).

Anyway, I guess the point is that the world wouldn't end if we had a one and done or two, but I don't want to put revolving doors in the new practice facility either. We might win more, but I'd enjoy it a little less, which is why I say my opinion comes from a selfish place
Really well said. IMO, the one and done philosophy is also very dangerous because it feeds upon itself and requires that it becomes self-sustaining in order to continue producing winning teams. The more one-and-dones a team takes, the more one-and-dones it will require in the next recruiting class to replace the ones that just left. Seems like a hell of a lot of work and risk for no better results than we've had, while neglecting our team culture and history.

Nnocu

Poplar Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure I want a 1-2yr rental of anybody who wants to show up and dictate playing terms by bringing their partner or whatever.
Plus, Malik Newmans website screams "I'm more concerned about my brand and getting to the NBA than I am for playing college ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom