Share Your Favorite "Moon" Song That Best Celebrates The 50th Anniversary of The Moon Landing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Share Your Favorite "Moon" Song That Best Celebrates The 50th Anniversary of The Moon Landing

Reaction Score
Fifty years ago this month, in 1969, a U.S. spacecraft, equipped with a separate rocket powered "moon ship" and "moon rover" and a crew of three, left earth and headed for the moon. Once in orbit around the moon, two of the three crew members successfully deployed to the moon for species collection and other experiments, while also exploring, dancing and singing...and filming it all for those of us back on earth to vicariously partake in the event.

Once their mission was complete, they successfully returned to earth via the capsule splashing down in the ocean method of the day. They were then immediately deposited in a quarantine facility for... well at the time no one knew what to expect. They were there for 30 days. As we now know, all turned out just fine. If you were at least 14 or 15 years old at the time, you were quite likely mesmerized by Walter Cronkite's analysis and commentary along with the video from the astronauts on television.

If you were not 14 or 15, or even born yet in 1969, you are likely not able to understand the the absolute awe of this event. The vast number and scope of the technological advancements that have occurred since 1969 have overpowered our previous conceptions of reality. It's quite a world we now live in.

But, back in 1969 we really didn't know if we could successfully send a manned spacecraft to the moon's orbit, land on the moon, get back to the spacecraft, and have the spacecraft successfully return to earth. And those astronauts...what were they thinking. Many people here on earth thought they would never see their families again. Yes it was certainly jaw dropping at the time.

So, lets commemorate the event with our Boneyard tradition of assigning a favorite song, in this case a "moon" song ....and also sharing recollections.

This is the song that has stuck with me from the beginning...and Sinatra recorded this five years before the moon landing. Enjoy!

Just one small but important correction- there was no moon rover on Apollo 11. The first moon rover was on Apollo 15.

Yes, I am a space geek :)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, a couple songs that were already taken but I gotta go w/ different versions. This is the original artist, and so different from the Elvis version it might as well not be the same song. Wait til about 1:20 when it really gets cookin'.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you were not 14 or 15, or even born yet in 1969, you are likely not able to understand the the absolute awe of this event. The vast number and scope of the technological advancements that have occurred since 1969 have overpowered our previous conceptions of reality. It's quite a world we now live in.

From time to time I wonder if any event today can match the tension, wonder, awe and pride of that event. I won't take the time to describe it as your post captured it perfectly.

Reaction Score
From time to time I wonder if any event today can match the tension, wonder, awe and pride of that event. I won't take the time to describe it as your post captured it perfectly.

I was a 6 year old obsessed with space ( still am actually) and as young as I was somehow I understood how truly awe inspiring it was for people to land on & explore the moon. My parents were away that weekend but they told my grandmother who was staying with us that I could stay up & watch it. I stayed awake for the whole thing. Poor Gram nodded off after awhile and my sister went to bed, she was not impressed.

Reaction Score
The "American Experience" "Chasing the Moon" program on PBS (three parts) does, in my opinion, a really good job of capturing the mood of the times and the importance of the space program of the 1960's against the backdrop of the cold war, the civil rights movement, and Vietnam. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for my song with the moon in the title...

Reaction Score
Fifty years ago this month, in 1969, a U.S. spacecraft, equipped with a separate rocket powered "moon ship" and "moon rover" and a crew of three, left earth and headed for the moon. Once in orbit around the moon, two of the three crew members successfully deployed to the moon for species collection and other experiments, while also exploring, dancing and singing...and filming it all for those of us back on earth to vicariously partake in the event.

Once their mission was complete, they successfully returned to earth via the capsule splashing down in the ocean method of the day. They were then immediately deposited in a quarantine facility for... well at the time no one knew what to expect. They were there for 30 days. As we now know, all turned out just fine. If you were at least 14 or 15 years old at the time, you were quite likely mesmerized by Walter Cronkite's analysis and commentary along with the video from the astronauts on television.

But, back in 1969 we really didn't know if we could successfully send a manned spacecraft to the moon's orbit, land on the moon, get back to the spacecraft, and have the spacecraft successfully return to earth. And those astronauts...what were they thinking. Many people here on earth thought they would never see their families again. Yes it was certainly jaw dropping at the time.

So, lets commemorate the event with our Boneyard tradition of assigning a favorite song, in this case a "moon" song ....and also sharing recollections.

This is the song that has stuck with me from the beginning...and Sinatra recorded this five years before the moon landing. Enjoy!

My husband designed the brakes on the moon rover.

Reaction Score

If you were not 14 or 15, or even born yet in 1969, you are likely not able to understand the absolute awe of this event. The vast number and scope of the technological advancements that have occurred since 1969 have overpowered our previous conceptions of reality. It's quite a world we now live in.

Reaction Score
Halloween Moon.... not a song, but worth a smile or two... :)

Attachments

• 1pumpkin1.jpg
    1pumpkin1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member