Share Your Favorite "Moon" Song That Best Celebrates The 50th Anniversary of The Moon Landing | The Boneyard

Share Your Favorite "Moon" Song That Best Celebrates The 50th Anniversary of The Moon Landing

Reaction Score
Fifty years ago this month, in 1969, a U.S. spacecraft, equipped with a separate rocket powered "moon ship" and "moon rover" and a crew of three, left earth and headed for the moon. Once in orbit around the moon, two of the three crew members successfully deployed to the moon for species collection and other experiments, while also exploring, dancing and singing...and filming it all for those of us back on earth to vicariously partake in the event.

Once their mission was complete, they successfully returned to earth via the capsule splashing down in the ocean method of the day. They were then immediately deposited in a quarantine facility for... well at the time no one knew what to expect. They were there for 30 days. As we now know, all turned out just fine. If you were at least 14 or 15 years old at the time, you were quite likely mesmerized by Walter Cronkite's analysis and commentary along with the video from the astronauts on television.

If you were not 14 or 15, or even born yet in 1969, you are likely not able to understand the absolute awe of this event. The vast number and scope of the technological advancements that have occurred since 1969 have overpowered our previous conceptions of reality. It's quite a world we now live in.

But, back in 1969 we really didn't know if we could successfully send a manned spacecraft to the moon's orbit, land on the moon, get back to the spacecraft, and have the spacecraft successfully return to earth. And those astronauts...what were they thinking. Many people here on earth thought they would never see their families again. Yes it was certainly jaw dropping at the time.

So, lets commemorate the event with our Boneyard tradition of assigning a favorite song, in this case a "moon" song ....and also sharing recollections.

This is the song that has stuck with me from the beginning...and Sinatra recorded this five years before the moon landing. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
The top tune that week in July ,1969 was , IIRC, "In the Year 2525". The song about a dystopian future gives you an idea of how worried people were about our fate. I remember people claiming that going to the moon was going to cause all sorts of cosmic problems. And of course the war in Southeast Asia was causing much consternation in the American public. I was 18 and madly in love with a lovely young lady who tolerated me fairly well at first. But that moon landing captured the heart and soul of our nation , and the world at large. It was an amazing time to come of age. Glad I did it, and wouldn't want to do it again. Great song choices BTW. Here is another one to add to the list.

Reaction Score
Fifty years ago this month, in 1969, a U.S. spacecraft, equipped with a separate rocket powered "moon ship" and "moon rover" and a crew of three, left earth and headed for the moon. Once in orbit around the moon, two of the three crew members successfully deployed to the moon for species collection and other experiments, while also exploring, dancing and singing...and filming it all for those of us back on earth to vicariously partake in the event.

Once their mission was complete, they successfully returned to earth via the capsule splashing down in the ocean method of the day. They were then immediately deposited in a quarantine facility for... well at the time no one knew what to expect. They were there for 30 days. As we now know, all turned out just fine. If you were at least 14 or 15 years old at the time, you were quite likely mesmerized by Walter Cronkite's analysis and commentary along with the video from the astronauts on television.

If you were not 14 or 15, or even born yet in 1969, you are likely not able to understand the the absolute awe of this event. The vast number and scope of the technological advancements that have occurred since 1969 have overpowered our previous conceptions of reality. It's quite a world we now live in.

But, back in 1969 we really didn't know if we could successfully send a manned spacecraft to the moon's orbit, land on the moon, get back to the spacecraft, and have the spacecraft successfully return to earth. And those astronauts...what were they thinking. Many people here on earth thought they would never see their families again. Yes it was certainly jaw dropping at the time.

So, lets commemorate the event with our Boneyard tradition of assigning a favorite song, in this case a "moon" song ....and also sharing recollections.

This is the song that has stuck with me from the beginning...and Sinatra recorded this five years before the moon landing. Enjoy!

That's the one that instantly came into my mind!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom