Shaq Goodwin offered | The Boneyard

Shaq Goodwin offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
talk he could come to 1st night, may be just a rumor

Reaction Score
He lives about three miles from me in ATL- has to be a fantastic person.

Reaction Score
A two sport player. That really hurts our chances. Georgia has already offered him in both football and basketball. Supposedly he's a star defensive end and has potential as a wide receiver. If we got him it would arguably be a bigger get for the football team than basketball team :)

Reaction Score
UCLA and Memphis are ahead of us for this kid. Were late to the party.

Reaction Score
I'd be very surprised if we ended up landing him since we jumped into the Shaq sweepstakes late and he's from down south. Now we've had a few surprises in the past such as with Sticks and Daniels, so I'm not writing him off. I just have a feeling we'll end up adding Noel who will pull an AD and reclassify late. He's the one I want for our 2012 5. He's versatile enough to play the 4, like many of our big men, so I would not be shocked if the staff tries to add two bigs since they've been on a number of 4s, 5s and 4/5 combos.

From a needs stand point it's hard to predict what next year's team will need. Lamb will likely enter the draft after this season. Depending the outcome of the NBA CBA, Drummond will be following close behind Lamb. I would not rule out Alex as well, but he needs to improve his offensive game. I think Bradley has a chance to be a very good 4/5 combo. I'm not sure about Wolf. Many see him as slow and lumbering, but he was very mobile in the video clips from his days in Germany. The little we saw of him last season was not what the staff saw before he arrived. He was slowed by an injury and arrived at UConn out of shape. There were rumors of poor work ethic last season, but based on recent reports about the shape he's in now, might be pointing to the high potential player the staff thought they were getting. With all this said, PT will be hard to earn for him this year, so who knows how much he'll improve this season. In addition to those two unproven bigs, Olander and Smith who both will share some time at the 4 will likely return.

The point I'm trying to make here is our need in the post is tied to the development of our current big men, which ones return and what happens with the NBA CBA. We might just be fine with the returning players, though I still go with the old adage, you can never have too many bigs. I'd like to see them add at least a 5 or 4/5 combo, preferably one that can play right away.

With Giffey, Roscoe and Daniels likely returning, (that assumes Niels doesn't stay home to play for pay in Europe next season, and Roscoe and/or Daniels don't end up blowing up into an NBA ready combos), we seem fine at the wing even if Lamb moves on. Yeah, I realize he'll play more 2G than wing, but the offensive assignment is very similar for both positions in JC's system. I'm sure JC would take a big time wing if one is interested in coming here. He did that with Daniels even though the need at that position wasn't there.

It does seem like the team could use another guard though. With Lamb leaving, that leaves the 1 & 2 to Bazz, Boatright & Omar next season. Now that's not that much different than what we have this season with Bazz, Boatright & Lamb, but Jeremy has the tools to play the 1, 2 or 3. I'm not sure if Omar could handle the point if Bazz or Boat aren't available for a few minutes or a bunch of minutes or even games. I'm guessing that's why they went after Purvis hard. I wonder if they took a chance by passing on Dunn. It seems they preferred the better scoring combo, Purvis, over the more table-setting combo, Dunn. It's possible Dunn didn't want to compete with Bazz and Boat for PT at the one, which is the position he's most suited for. I think we'll be fine even if we don't pick up another guard. As long as Bazz & Boat combined can fill that 40 minutes/game at the 1 and slide over to the 2 when needed, plus Omar and the versatile Daniels (he has a 2G handle) can fill the remaining minutes at the 2, we'll be fine. Giffey is another who can steal you a few minutes at the 2 if he's still around.

I think we're in good shape going into 2012/13, and I'm sure in the end the staff will add a couple more talented recruits to bolster the roster and keep the team viable for the years after that. Adding Shaq would be nice, but I'm sure in the end we'll be pleasantry surprised like we were this past summer.

Reaction Score
This last season was amazing. I can not remember a better class of 3 players ever coming to UCONN and

1) DD- was chased by dook, kansas and texas for years and committed to us without a visit- and from the West coast no less.
2) RB- by default we got what looks like a potential NBA guard (really). Hinds is a good player but RB just seems to have "it" like our man Kemba did.
3) AD- just coo coo how late we got him and how big a hole he filled for us on our team.

I'll wait till next spring- miss out on everyone we are chasing and see what happens at this point. Another FF would not hurt either.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
This last season was amazing. I can not remember a better class of 3 players ever coming to UCONN and

1) DD- was chased by dook, kansas and texas for years and committed to us without a visit- and from the West coast no less.
2) RB- by default we got what looks like a potential NBA guard (really). Hinds is a good player but RB just seems to have "it" like our man Kemba did.
3) AD- just coo coo how late we got him and how big a hole he filled for us on our team.

I'll wait till next spring- miss out on everyone we are chasing and see what happens at this point. Another FF would not hurt either.
Yes if there's anything to be learned, you can't tell anything until they show up on campus. Last minute signees also have been very good historically for us.

Reaction Score
I'd be very surprised if we ended up landing him since we jumped into the Shaq sweepstakes late and he's from down south. Now we've had a few surprises in the past such as with Sticks and Daniels, so I'm not writing him off. I just have a feeling we'll end up adding Noel who will pull an AD and reclassify late. He's the one I want for our 2012 5. He's versatile enough to play the 4, like many of our big men, so I would not be shocked if the staff tries to add two bigs since they've been on a number of 4s, 5s and 4/5 combos.

From a needs stand point it's hard to predict what next year's team will need. Lamb will likely enter the draft after this season. Depending the outcome of the NBA CBA, Drummond will be following close behind Lamb. I would not rule out Alex as well, but he needs to improve his offensive game. I think Bradley has a chance to be a very good 4/5 combo. I'm not sure about Wolf. Many see him as slow and lumbering, but he was very mobile in the video clips from his days in Germany. The little we saw of him last season was not what the staff saw before he arrived. He was slowed by an injury and arrived at UConn out of shape. There were rumors of poor work ethic last season, but based on recent reports about the shape he's in now, might be pointing to the high potential player the staff thought they were getting. With all this said, PT will be hard to earn for him this year, so who knows how much he'll improve this season. In addition to those two unproven bigs, Olander and Smith who both will share some time at the 4 will likely return.

The point I'm trying to make here is our need in the post is tied to the development of our current big men, which ones return and what happens with the NBA CBA. We might just be fine with the returning players, though I still go with the old adage, you can never have too many bigs. I'd like to see them add at least a 5 or 4/5 combo, preferably one that can play right away.

With Giffey, Roscoe and Daniels likely returning, (that assumes Niels doesn't stay home to play for pay in Europe next season, and Roscoe and/or Daniels don't end up blowing up into an NBA ready combos), we seem fine at the wing even if Lamb moves on. Yeah, I realize he'll play more 2G than wing, but the offensive assignment is very similar for both positions in JC's system. I'm sure JC would take a big time wing if one is interested in coming here. He did that with Daniels even though the need at that position wasn't there.

It does seem like the team could use another guard though. With Lamb leaving, that leaves the 1 & 2 to Bazz, Boatright & Omar next season. Now that's not that much different than what we have this season with Bazz, Boatright & Lamb, but Jeremy has the tools to play the 1, 2 or 3. I'm not sure if Omar could handle the point if Bazz or Boat aren't available for a few minutes or a bunch of minutes or even games. I'm guessing that's why they went after Purvis hard. I wonder if they took a chance by passing on Dunn. It seems they preferred the better scoring combo, Purvis, over the more table-setting combo, Dunn. It's possible Dunn didn't want to compete with Bazz and Boat for PT at the one, which is the position he's most suited for. I think we'll be fine even if we don't pick up another guard. As long as Bazz & Boat combined can fill that 40 minutes/game at the 1 and slide over to the 2 when needed, plus Omar and the versatile Daniels (he has a 2G handle) can fill the remaining minutes at the 2, we'll be fine. Giffey is another who can steal you a few minutes at the 2 if he's still around.

I think we're in good shape going into 2012/13, and I'm sure in the end the staff will add a couple more talented recruits to bolster the roster and keep the team viable for the years after that. Adding Shaq would be nice, but I'm sure in the end we'll be pleasantry surprised like we were this past summer.

Yep the season is definitely approaching us now with posts like this from Dogmania.................he's baaaaack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom