"Shakuntala" and Boneyard Posting | The Boneyard

"Shakuntala" and Boneyard Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I haven't done one of these posts in several years, but I ask for your indulgence. "Shakuntala" is the classic Sanskrit drama, probably because we only have fragments of the others. Unlike Western dramas flowing from Greek Tragedies and Comedies (Sock and Buskin anyone- "Then to the well trod stage anon when Jonson's learned sock be on.") where we have a synoptic view of the action. Conclusions matter in Greek theatre, in Sanskrit drama it is the flavor of the moment (the rasa) which determines the value of the experience.

Ruff-Ruff probably knows the is being hyperbolic when he states that Boatright is the worst finisher in UConn
history. However, for him it is more important that Boatright fails in this area than that he contributed mightily to UConn's victory over Memphis. I will admit that there was less criticism after the Memphis game
than is normal on this board. However even Dog Mania, one of the saner posters on the fan board internet, couldn't refrain from kvetching about UConn's running of the offense in the last ten minutes. The rasa didn't feel right to Dog Mania.

Being by nature a half or considerably less full glass kind of guy, I understand worrying about what might come up and bite you in the ass the next game. Hey, we were only 8-13 on the ft line last night; we may need
to make 80+% tonight. I have to admit while watching or listening to a game, I yell pointless encouragement or criticism to the players. I am invested in fandom, the rasa, the flavor of the moment, still
I want to preserve some sanity after the game. Games are won or lost because of multiple factors; statistics
is aware that multi body problems are incredibly difficult to analyze. Most fans, myself included, are guilty of puerile and simplistic analysis.

Why did Giffey have a career high last night. Memphis's defense, Giffey's movement, Boatright's driving and kicking, Giffey's confidence, coaching on both sides, a statistical aberration; I'm only scratching the surface
here.

This is not meant to discourage any Boneyarder from expressing his/her heartfelt conclusions about the inadequacy or greatness of anything about the UConn program or any particular game. Just remember
that zymurg is watching. However, so is Fishy; while I may try and pull you back from the precipice of lunacy; Fishy is driving a huge semi to push you over. So there is a cosmic balance, a rasa, to all this; frankly our loons are empirically better than other loons. Remember JaCkSon, we have a hall of fame for loons.

Reaction Score
You guys make me regret quitting my speed reading course.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Zy, I really enjoy your posts. It feels like you ingested a bunch of peyote, went on a vision quest, and glimpsed a truth the rest of us cannot hope to understand.

Reaction Score
I gotta figure out how to work rasa into my every day vocabulary.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am in tears laughing for the first time since I can't remember when.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Games are won or lost because of multiple factors; statistics
is aware that multi body problems are incredibly difficult to analyze.
I think this was written on the wrapper for my chopsticks.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
And that is why we miss posters like Zymurg.

More wit and wisdom in a couple of paragraphs than we normally manage in a month these days.

If you started posting on the Boneyard in the last five years and you missed that cat when he was posting regularly, you just went to the mountaintop.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I read it three times and I now understand.

We do have hall of fame loons, but where is our lark?

Reaction Score
Rasa (IAST rāsa) is a Sanskrit theological concept specific to Krishna-centered bhakti traditions, such as Gaudiya Vaishnavism. The theological use of the word can be found early, about two thousand years before the Nimbarka or Caitanya schools of bhakti, in a phrase that Chaitanya traditions frequently quote: "Truly, the Lord is rasa" (raso vai sah) of the Taittiriya Upanishad. This statement expresses the view that God is the one who enjoys the ultimate rasa, or spiritual rapture and emotions.[1]
It is believed Rupa Goswami developed, under the direct guidance of Caitanya, the articulated and formulated theology of rasa as "the soul's particular relationship with the divinity in devotional love".[2]
Rupa's text draws largely from the foundational theory of rasa formed by Bharata Muni, the originator of Sanskrit dramaturgy, or Natya Sastra (perhaps as early as the 2nd century BCE).[1] These relationships with the divinity in devotional love, rasa, can closely resemble the variety of loving feelings that humans experience with one another,[3] such as beloved-lover, friend-friend, parent-child, and master-servant.[4] Rasas are distinguished as lower and higher and according to Bhagavad Gita[5] it appears that the three higher rasas are acknowledged and preferred by Arjuna.[6] The higher rasas are described as loving, friendly, and fraternal types of relationships.

Reaction Score
The "flavor of the moment" at halftime is that we are getting our lunch eaten down low. If there is a turbaned swami who can change this out there, have at it. Peace.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
cliff notes

"we are UConn, so chill"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics