Shakim Phillips back to BC? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Shakim Phillips back to BC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice of the BC and Rutgers fans to keep us updated on former UConn players.

You're quite welcome!

But I was only commenting because of his apparent interest in us, but with his recent tweets I'm starting to doubt it. With Ruhann Peele hurt he would have had a good opportunity to be a #2 or #3 behind Leonte Carro and Andre Patton.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Again, I wish him all the best next season. But let's shift our focus to the Hungry Huskies.

Reaction Score
Makes zero sense. Unless BC's WR corp is absolutely pathetic, why would he want to go there - he'd getting plenty of PT and throws at UConn. Also is he entering witness protection? What better place to play college football than BC if that's the case? A professional sports town that could care less about college sports - particularly football - unless it's Beanpot Hockey or Harvard vs. Yale football. Maybe he prefers playing in anonymity and irrelevance, in which case, this transfer is a good thing.

Reaction Score
TouchdownHusky said:
Makes zero sense. Unless BC's WR corp is absolutely pathetic, why would he want to go there - he'd getting plenty of PT and throws at UConn. Also is he entering witness protection? What better place to play college football than BC if that's the case? A professional sports town that could care less about college sports - particularly football - unless it's Beanpot Hockey or Harvard vs. Yale football. Maybe he prefers playing in anonymity and irrelevance, in which case, this transfer is a good thing.

BC's receivers are not good.

Reaction Score

Thanks to the Spaz era recruiting problems - wide receiver is an area of critical need for BC. This move should not come as a complete shock. He was recruited and played his freshmen year at BC. Had problems with the prior staff and transferred to Uconn. As a 5th year graduate, he can go anywhere. There is a new staff at BC. They are aggressive recruiters (something BC desperately needed!) and obviously could offer him substantial playing time and an attractive schedule to showcase his talents (including USC, defending nat. champ FSU, and Clemson).

Witness protection? Really? Hyperbole much? BC and Uconn have pretty much the same attendance levels going back a number of years. BC has beat writers covering it from the Globe and Herald. When they are good, the make some noise on the local sports scene. Not in the same universe as the pro teams, but they do get covered.

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ge-football-tv-ratings-2014-texas-am-missouri
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...tter-boston/AziFdUtgn7Y8eg4JiU8VLI/story.html

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks to the Spaz era recruiting problems - wide receiver is an area of critical need for BC. This move should not come as a complete shock. He was recruited and played his freshmen year at BC. Had problems with the prior staff and transferred to Uconn. As a 5th year graduate, he can go anywhere. There is a new staff at BC. They are aggressive recruiters (something BC desperately needed!) and obviously could offer him substantial playing time and an attractive schedule to showcase his talents (including USC, defending nat. champ FSU, and Clemson).

Witness protection? Really? Hyperbole much? BC and Uconn have pretty much the same attendance levels going back a number of years. BC has beat writers covering it from the Globe and Herald. When they are good, the make some noise on the local sports scene. Not in the same universe as the pro teams, but they do get covered.

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ge-football-tv-ratings-2014-texas-am-missouri
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...tter-boston/AziFdUtgn7Y8eg4JiU8VLI/story.html

You realize that it is a huge recruiting violation to recruit a player at another school.

Reaction Score
You realize that it is a huge recruiting violation to recruit a player at another school.
Once Uconn released him, he is free to be recruited by anyone.

For Phillips this will be his fourth OC in 5 years. 2 at BC and GDL and Weiss at Uconn. Even for a former 4 star, that is a tough college career.

Reaction Score
Once Uconn released him, he is free to be recruited by anyone.

For Phillips this will be his fourth OC in 5 years. 2 at BC and GDL and Weiss at Uconn. Even for a former 4 star, that is a tough college career.

Exactly.....this probably went down like all other of these things go down. Nobody on the staff should have had any discussions with the player prior to the release. From a technical perspective, I don't think there will be ANY formal announcements until he gets his degree from Uconn this summer.
I am sure the process followed was the same one as when he originally left BC for Uconn several years ago. In both cases, BC and Uconn facilitated things by granting the release. Over time, these things tend to go both ways so neither school has any interest in being petty over this stuff.

Reaction Score
Apparently there's mutual interest between him and RU. Guess we shall see.

Jay...where have you heard this? I have not seen any mention of that on any of your boards or on any RU sites.
ONTH, FWIW, I think his tweet was pretty indicative of where his head is at.

Reaction Score
His tweets that he deleted you mean.

But it's on one of the RU recruiting sites. There is mutual interest between the two.

Reaction Score
His tweets that he deleted you mean.

But it's on one of the RU recruiting sites. There is mutual interest between the two.

Well...whether they were deleted or not....does show his thinking at least at this point in time, IMO.
Links to the RU sites?

Reaction Score
Can't link, it's a paid site.

I think he's looking at BC as well, I just think it's less red tape to come here.

Reaction Score
Can't link, it's a paid site.

I think he's looking at BC as well, I just think it's less red tape to come here.

Not really. As a 5th year grad, he can go wherever he likes. The process is the same for any school he goes to.

Reaction Score
Tbh this is the first time I'm hearing that the rule isn't 'the school has to offer a graduate program not offered at his current school'.

Reaction Score
Tbh this is the first time I'm hearing that the rule isn't 'the school has to offer a graduate program not offered at his current school'.

Well, I think once a school releases an athlete - as is the case here - this requirement is moot. I think this is only an issue if the school chooses not to release the athlete and the athlete can, assuming they are a "5th year graduate", move to another school if the grad courses/program is not available at the school the athlete is graduating from.

I believe schools typically release the 5th year grad for two reasons: (1) it looks really petty if they don't and can be used to negatively recruit against the school, and (2) most schools can get around a "refusal to release" as it is likely that any school will have at least ONE program - however obscure - that the school the athlete is graduating from doesn't offer.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exactly.....this probably went down like all other of these things go down. Nobody on the staff should have had any discussions with the player prior to the release. From a technical perspective, I don't think there will be ANY formal announcements until he gets his degree from Uconn this summer.
I am sure the process followed was the same one as when he originally left BC for Uconn several years ago. In both cases, BC and Uconn facilitated things by granting the release. Over time, these things tend to go both ways so neither school has any interest in being petty over this stuff.

So... how can he get his release without having graduated?

Reaction Score
So... how can he get his release without having graduated?

Well....I think they are two separate things..BUT both need to occur before the athlete can transfer without any restrictions, waiting periods, or the need to prove that a program is not available at the current school.

In this case, Uconn has provided his release. A release can occur for any reason and it happens all the time. Heck, he got a release from BC 3 years ago to pursue the Uconn opportunity. He can leave and I think BC can talk to him upon getting the release. HOWEVER, he would have to sit out a year which is not workable as he has only one year of eligibility left. To avoid having to sit out a year, he needs to graduate. IMO, this is why there is no public mention of this potential move (and probably why the tweet was taken down, IMO). I think all of this is dependent on his graduating this summer. If for some reason he does not graduate, he cannot play anywhere else. At least this is how I understand the rule. I would be curious if anyone has a different take.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Can we kill this thread?? Please? Wish the kid the best but it's bad enough the CR board has become a breeding ground for non-UConn related talk but now we have a running dialogue between RU and BC fans? The kid was here, he left for whatever reason, thanks for coming, let's focus now on the kids that actually want to wear UConn on their chest.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Can we kill this thread?? Please? Wish the kid the best but it's bad enough the CR board has become a breeding ground for non-UConn related talk but now we have a running dialogue between RU and BC fans? The kid was here, he left for whatever reason, thanks for coming, let's focus now on the kids that actually want to wear UConn on their chest.

Couldn't agree with you more. Wish Shak nothing but the best but let's focus on the Hungry Huskies who are here (and, oh by the way, we have a VERY good and deep WR corps).

Reaction Score

UCFB, I can certainly understand your point and frustration with this thread. FWIW, I was trying to focus a bit more on the mechanics of such a move as opposed to it being a Uconn or BC specific issue. Nevertheless, I certainly understand where you are coming from.

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree with you more. Wish Shak nothing but the best but let's focus on the Hungry Huskies who are here (and, oh by the way, we have a VERY good and deep WR corps).

Which is probably one of the big reasons he us making this move, IMO.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Which is probably one of the big reasons he us making this move, IMO.

Maybe. He was going to be #2 on the depth chart behind Davis but maybe he wants to be the #1. Hey, when he's healthy, he's very talented. Seems like he has had bad timing between BC and UCONN...both programs had horrendous coaches during his time at each school. I hope he does well next year and I wish him nothing but the best.

With that, I will now stop talking about Shak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom