Shakim Phillips back to BC? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Shakim Phillips back to BC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So BC blocks their transferring BB player from transferring to any NE schools (read UConn), and UConn - as it appears today - is allowing SP to transfer wherever he likes. If this is the case, that speaks VOLUMES about the character of the two administrations. I'd get it if both schools restricted a transfer to anyone on their schedule the following year, but that is not what BC did.

Wish SP all the best.

Although I wish it were true, I believe that if you have completed your degree with one year of eligibility the school is not allowed to restrict where you transfer.....could be wrong though

Reaction Score
Flyer88- You are 100% correct, after graduating one doesn't need a release. To take it a step further, if university A willnt grant a release to a specific school. The transferring student-athlete has options. They can still transfer to the university of their choice, but can't receive an athletic scholarship for the first year(different if within the same conference)or two threaten legal action(Horace Dodd). Dodd s parents hired a lawyer Paterno refused to release him to BC 10 ish years ago. Paterno soon folded up like a cheap suit.

Reaction Score
Although I wish it were true, I believe that if you have completed your degree with one year of eligibility the school is not allowed to restrict where you transfer.....could be wrong though

We discussed this yesterday. UConn can't restrict him from going to a school that has a degree UConn doesn't have, but it can restrict him from schools that don't have such degrees. A player is only free if he wants to study something at the MA level that his current school doesn't have, because otherwise he's going to rely on his current institution to give him a release.

When you think about the NCAA and its academic rules, it really is screwy. For instance, what's to stop a kid from wanting to enroll in a PhD program and playing? With a PhD program, you chances of admittance are only 10% at many schools. if you get in, that's an accomplishment. So, say a kid from UConn wants to attend a PhD program at Rutgers. Why should anyone at UConn prevent him from doing that AND playing ball? Because UConn has a PhD program too? Silly.

Reaction Score
Flyer88- You are 100% correct, after graduating one doesn't need a release. To take it a step further, if university A willnt grant a release to a specific school. The transferring student-athlete has options. They can still transfer to the university of their choice, but can't receive an athletic scholarship for the first year(different if within the same conference)or two threaten legal action(Horace Dodd). Dodd s parents hired a lawyer Paterno refused to release him to BC 10 ish years ago. Paterno soon folded up like a cheap suit.

It's not correct. We looked at the NCAA bylaws yesterday. You need a release unless the school you're transferring to has a degree program your current school doesn't have. Horace Dodd also made a horrendously silly mistake. He was the best athlete at the safety position that they'd ever seen at PSU, and instead he listened to his friends in Hamden who razzed him for being moved from RB.

Reaction Score
It's not correct. We looked at the NCAA bylaws yesterday. You need a release unless the school you're transferring to has a degree program your current school doesn't have. Horace Dodd also made a horrendously silly mistake. He was the best athlete at the safety position that they'd ever seen at PSU, and instead he listened to his friends in Hamden who razzed him for being moved from RB.

Uconn couldn't block Phillips from playing at BC next fall, release or no release. Uconn could block him/one from receiving an athletic scholarship(would get all the aid he needed). In the short history of this rule, can't recall a coach not releasing a with one year left. If someone as good as Russell Wilson left without a fight, I can't image the former head coach has much leverage.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Uconn couldn't block Phillips from playing at BC next fall, release or no release. Uconn could block him/one from receiving an athletic scholarship(would get all the aid he needed). In the short history of this rule, can't recall a coach not releasing a with one year left. If someone as good as Russell Wilson left without a fight, I can't image the former head coach has much leverage.

TOB ran Wilson off. It was a tough spot though - sitting on Glennon and Wilson wanting to be off playing baseball.

Reaction Score
So BC blocks their transferring BB player from transferring to any NE schools (read UConn), and UConn - as it appears today - is allowing SP to transfer wherever he likes. If this is the case, that speaks VOLUMES about the character of the two administrations. I'd get it if both schools restricted a transfer to anyone on their schedule the following year, but that is not what BC did.

Wish SP all the best.
You know that this same person has already transferred from BC to UConn, right? That would seem to cast some doubt on your idiotically broad statement.

Reaction Score

So, Shakim Phillips is free to go to BC if he shells out the $60k himself?

Reaction Score
You know that this same person has already transferred from BC to UConn, right? That would seem to cast some doubt on your idiotically broad statement.

It only applies to starters and good players (both Andrerson and Phillips are that), but Phillips wasn't that when he left BC.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I've heard this from multiple sources that you need a major that doesn't exist at your school, but after reading the NCAA rules I think that's clearly wrong. I think we've hit on where the misinformation about the player needing a major that the other school doesn't have to transfer comes from. If the University denies the release you can appeal to the NCAA and having a reason like the program doesn't exist at the school you currently have a scholarship from certainly helps. It also might have been the condition on the release from a specific institution and people just assumed it applied in all cases.

Reaction Score

Wish SP all the best.
Undergrad transfers versus a kid that has a degree. Two very different animals in the eyes of the NCAA and how transfers work. Uconn can not restrict him because of the graduate exception. Undergrad transfers are subject to different rules including conference rules on transfers and any undergrad transfrering sits out 1 year unless they fall into several very specific exemption categories outlined by the NCAA and those exemptions can not apply to Div 1 BB, FB, Baseball or hockey.

And what BB player transferring from BC would Uconn want? Anderson? Rahon?

Also, didn't BC not restrict Phillips transfer to Uconn several years ago? You may have chosen the wrong rant on this one.

On an additional note, BC has gotten 3 (and potentially a 4th with SP) starters via the fifth year grad rule (Patchen last year, Murphy the QB and another OL fopr this season; all from UF). Where is Diaco with all of this? He has at least 1 slot open and he should be working the ND fifth years like Addazzio is working the UF program.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
BNich said:
He had all 10 toes on the trainers table.. Kid couldn't stay healthy anyway. And even when he was in I never saw consistent impact performance. He can be replaced. Let's not hold our breath wondering how we will replace him.

Agree that injuries likely affected his place on the depth chart. Diaco seems to be a you don't do us any good in the training room, next man up, kind of guy.

But, I disagree about his performance. To my eye, he was our best receiver week in, week out and had the best hands on the team. Maybe he was never going to be 100% and decided the coaching change opened up his mind to the idea moving on.

Reaction Score
This is more of a loss regarding experience versus productivity. He was talented, but he missed 5 games last year and played no part in the teams turn around at the end of the year. He had zero catches vs Temple and missed the last 2 games. He averaged 30 catches and about 400 yards with us which one or two of the younger guys should be able to make up.

Missing the end of the year and then Spring ball, he may just not have seen eye to eye with the new staff and maybe got frustrated. Who knows the reason, but the old adage is "you can't make the club in the tub" which is especially true with a new staff. They never got to evaluate him during the spring and it seems some young guys made progress during that same timeframe.

Reaction Score
By all accounts a good kid and certainly talented. Wish he were staying at UCONN were he would be the solid number two target behind Davis.

Reaction Score
His other tweet is 'Once an Eagle always an Eagle'.

Man, heard there was a strong chance of him coming to RU. He'd be much welcomed and needed here.

Reaction Score
Anyone else think the BC staff "encouraged" some of his friends on the team to invite SP up for a weekend, that turned into a recruitment by the new staff?!?!

Reaction Score
Like I said before, if he had 2-3 seasons left then I would care. Since we have some younger blood coming up I really don't see this as a negative at all.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Like I said before, if he had 2-3 seasons left then I would care. Since we have some younger blood coming up I really don't see this as a negative at all.
I agree. Phillips had two 100 yard games and a couple in the high double digits over parts of the last 2 years. He may have had #1 receiver talent, but I had as many yards and touchdowns as Phillips vs. Michigan, Buffalo, South Florida, Temple, Rutgers and Memphis in 2013, as well as Rutgers and Maryland in 2012. I doubt very much that his departure will affect the product on the field in East Hartford.

I hope Phillips takes care of himself. I hope he graduates. I hope he prepares himself for whatever next level he strives to achieve. However, I probably won't be longing for him when the first team offense takes the field on August 29.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom