Shaka Smarty | The Boneyard

Shaka Smarty

Reaction Score
While I would agree with this saying for a deep team with alot of talent, not sure I would totally buy this in every case. I remember a very inexperienced QB who Bill Belichek was forced to play when Drew Bledsoe was hurt. Not saying we have any Tom Brady's on the bench but we appear to be getting to the stage where it may be in Geno's best interests to find out.

Reaction Score
In defense of @HopJim’s sentiment, we may be approaching the moment when games become practice. We’ve already got a rotation of 8. The only thing practice can settle is whether Inẽs and Amari get playing time. For the freshmen, conference play is where they’re going to shake out all the butterflies.

On a related note, for me personally I hope the freshmen play a lot in the conference games, 20+ mins/g. When they’re on the floor, I’m not so worried about injuries. Other than Ice, they have no history of injury. I’m just so dismayed watching potential superstars have their careers whittled away from under them by injury. What’s happening to them is just so wrong.

Reaction Score
Role Model:

https://i0./mattdever.com/wp-content/uploads/Allen-Iverson_Practice.jpg?fit=800%2C800&ssl=1

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There was a link in another thread from a guy with a British or Australian accent discussing UCONN. One point he made was something like "it would be foolish for Geno to continue to play the lineup he has been when it is so clearly not working".

Another thing he mentioned was the lack of chemistry and poor communication in almost all aspects. Pretty shocking given how much time the team spent together over the summer - I guess it's all a bed of roses until you start losing.

Part of it is that they need to get used to playing without 2 starters. Suddenly the roles have changed from what they were in Europe and all thru September and October.

I have zero suggestions for what I think the team "needs" to do. As Nan pointed out in another thread, Geno is also coaching for March. But IMHO he needs to figure out what to do about right now. Maybe he doesn't care about falling out of the top 25, but he should (he very well might - I am not saying what he thinks).

BTW, also, I'm NOT saying he isn't doing this, but IMHO he should focus most on getting wins and work on the "building towards March" when the opponent isn't killing us... Then again if the tOSU game showed us anything, the team isn't great (at this time) at finding a plan B when plan A isn't working.

Reaction Score
There was a link in another thread from a guy with a British or Australian accent discussing UCONN. One point he made was something like "it would be foolish for Geno to continue to play the lineup he has been when it is so clearly not working".

Another thing he mentioned was the lack of chemistry and poor communication in almost all aspects. Pretty shocking given how much time the team spent together over the summer - I guess it's all a bed of roses until you start losing.

Part of it is that they need to get used to playing without 2 starters. Suddenly the roles have changed from what they were in Europe and all thru September and October.

I have zero suggestions for what I think the team "needs" to do. As Nan pointed out in another thread, Geno is also coaching for March. But IMHO he needs to figure out what to do about right now. Maybe he doesn't care about falling out of the top 25, but he should (he very well might - I am not saying what he thinks).

BTW, also, I'm NOT saying he isn't doing this, but IMHO he should focus most on getting wins and work on the "building towards March" when the opponent isn't killing us... Then again if the tOSU game showed us anything, the team isn't great (at this time) at finding a plan B when plan A isn't working.
I feel it is fair to say that nobody connected to the team, nor is the fan base happy with how the season has started. Yes, the offense looks disjointed, the team defense has had too many lapses, the rebounding subpar & outside shooting virtually nonexistent. Based on what we've seen, I can understand how people feel this is the beginning of the end.

Let's not forget that UConn has played 2 top level teams on their home court. NC St caught everyone by surprise. Texas was an uncertainty due to not having played "anyone" prior to UConn. The UCLA game was played on a neutral court. While unexpected, right now, all 3 teams are better than UConn. It is unfamiliar territory, but I think we'll have a better indication of this team after the NC game on Sunday. While NC has 3 losses, they played hard against SC and stayed within reach the entire game. At home, UConn should take care of business. If not, the citizenry will be out with pitchforks.

I feel losing Azzi for the season and the continual uncertainty over Caroline's status caught this team off guard. Add in 3 newcomers, 2 players returning after a year off from injury and another who is yet to play this year, this is a team looking for stability. Factor in an early killer schedule, this season could easily go off the rails. However, that won't happen. It may not look pretty, but eventually this team will come together - lack of size notwithstanding, there's too much talent. Once players learn/accept their roles, get more comfortable and acclimated, everything (offense, defense, rebounding) will pick up.

Right now, the team has been hit with adversity. In the middle of the storm, it's hard to see daylight. Once they taste a bit of success, confidence mushrooms and the team will feel/play like a UConn team again. I have no idea how they will perform postseason (too far ahead) and I don't care for now. I want to see the players progress, and the rest will take care of itself. Come March Madness, a wizened and healthy Paige and grown up freshmen will be able to cause some serious damage. Till then, we have to ride out the storm.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Two excellent, posts above...
I actually am beginning to believe that this team
and this coaching staff
Don't have it to turn this season around
and avoid mediocrity

Reaction Score
Right now, the team has been hit with adversity. In the middle of the storm, it's hard to see daylight. Once they taste a bit of success, confidence mushrooms and the team will feel/play like a UConn team again. I have no idea how they will perform postseason (too far ahead) and I don't care for now. I want to see the players progress, and the rest will take care of itself. Come March Madness, a wizened and healthy Paige and grown up freshmen will be able to cause some serious damage. Till then, we have to ride out the storm.
This is about the only reasonable thing anyone can say just now.

Reaction Score
In defense of @HopJim’s sentiment, we may be approaching the moment when games become practice. We’ve already got a rotation of 8. The only thing practice can settle is whether Inẽs and Amari get playing time. For the freshmen, conference play is where they’re going to shake out all the butterflies.

On a related note, for me personally I hope the freshmen play a lot in the conference games, 20+ mins/g. When they’re on the floor, I’m not so worried about injuries. Other than Ice, they have no history of injury. I’m just so dismayed watching potential superstars have their careers whittled away from under them by injury. What’s happening to them is just so wrong.
If Geno decides not to get something out of Amari he is basically throwing in the towel. The absolutely can not compete on the boards with teams that have size and they haven't even played the big ones yet.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Geno decides not to get something out of Amari he is basically throwing in the towel. The absolutely can not compete on the boards with teams that have size and they haven't even played the big ones yet.
And Amari is the solution to that? What has she shown in games to date that suggests that she can be a tough rebounder, especially against opponents who are the same size as she is?

I agree that she may be able to block some shots and alter others, and I am a bit surprised that Geno didn't give her some minutes against Texas. But (having just watched the game on replay for the first time), I thought that despite Geno's dissatisfaction with Ice, she showed enough to make it plausible that she and Aaliyah can be a competitive front court. That won't happen immediately, and it will certainly help when/if Ayanna returns, but I think all of those avenues are more promising than relying more heavily on Amari.

Reaction Score
If Amari decides not to get something out of Amari she is basically throwing in the towel. The absolutely can not compete on the boards with teams that have size and they haven't even played the big ones yet.
I rearranged your above statement for you. You don't seem to grasp that Auriemma's message to every team every year when practice starts is "make me play you or make me sit you". All players determine their own PT by what they show in practice and I don't remember him making any exceptions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom