Shaka Smart | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shaka Smart

Reaction Score
So over on one of the Louisville boards, their beat writer posted that he had a discussion with one of his P5 coaching buddies, a guy that is is dialed in across the country and really knows the landscape and what's going on with all the coaching searches.

Apparently, UConn came up in their conversation and the guy had this to say: "Shaka Smart won't go to UConn, which is one of Shaka's dream schools." Unfortunately there wasn't any other information or follow-up.

I remember hearing that Shaka considered UConn as one of his dream schools back when KO was first hired, and there was a decent group of people on here who wanted him to be the coach after Jim Calhoun.

After what we've seen at Texas (50-49 over the last three years, 2 NCAA tournaments), would you guys still want him?
I’ve often thought about that myself. The short answer is no. But I remember those rumors and I’ve been tracking nearly everyone of their games since. So strange that his coaching from VCU is not transitioning well over at Texas, yet he’s bringing in big-time recruits

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What was his excuse last year? Or the year before?

Dude's had ranked teams entering each of the last 7 seasons and has made it past the first weekend once. Not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade on Ollie – he would be – but he's not an elite coach.

It'll be interesting to see how long a leash he gets in Austin. If next year's as disappointing as the last two, that seat's gonna get hot.
His year was 20-13... That's not terrible, last year served as a building year for this team, which would be much better with their first round guard being lost to something so unpredictable.

Reaction Score
Not sure what happened to Smart’s coaching style. Smart used to play very uptempo on offense and defense at VCU, but at Texas his teams have played much slower and simply haven’t been as good, especially considering the higher talent level.

Reaction Score
Only guy who's stock has fallen more than Shaka over the last 4 years is the guy we just got rid of.

Reaction Score
I think Shaka's a reasonably good coach, but regional recruiting is still a big thing. I'd have loved to have seen him at a Georgetown. With his ties in the DC area, etc. I think he'd put a good team on the court.

Texas is might as well be Poland for him.

It's why Stallings was a total flop at Pitt. Why Crean is setting himself to be out of college hoops in five years, etc.

Reaction Score
I think Shaka's a reasonably good coach, but regional recruiting is still a big thing. I'd have loved to have seen him at a Georgetown. With his ties in the DC area, etc. I think he'd put a good team on the court.

It's why Stallings was a total flop at Pitt. Why Crean is setting himself to be out of college hoops in five years, etc.

His four recruiting class rankings at Texas: 18, 6, 6, 13

I don't think recruiting has been his problem.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Not sure what happened to Smart’s coaching style. Smart used to play very uptempo on offense and defense at VCU, but at Texas his teams have played much slower and simply haven’t been as good, especially considering the higher talent level.
HAVOC flusters ill-prepared/low-talent teams. It's a gimmick that good coaches with good talent can exploit.

To Shaka's credit he figured that out relatively quick at Texas – the same stuff that works in the A-10 isn't going to fly in the Big 12. To his detriment, he's yet to come up with a Plan B.

Reaction Score
His four recruiting class rankings at Texas: 18, 6, 6, 13

I don't think recruiting has been his problem.

If his teams aren't good, then his recruiting isn't very good.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Only guy who's stock has fallen more than Shaka over the last 4 years is the guy we just got rid of.

Truth. Remember when we were worried Ollie would get poached by an NBA team? How the mighty have fallen.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Texas gets screwed on 2 brutal Bamba calls. This is absurd

Reaction Score

I agree with this. There are a handful of guys who can go anywhere and succeed. But most struggle when they are out of their element. Shaka is a solid coach and I think st UConn would have been very successful. On his change in style I put that on change in talent.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. There are a handful of guys who can go anywhere and succeed. But most struggle when they are out of their element. Shaka is a solid coach and I think st UConn would have been very successful. On his change in style I put that on change in talent.

He's no Kevin Ollie (flushed by Nevada in game they should have won, 7 less NCAA tourney wins, even Ollie's 2016 was more successful.)

Reaction Score
I think recruiting based on regions is over stated. This is not horse and buggy times of 130 years ago or whatever. We live in a global society and as far as recruiting are just talking about one country for the most part. Cell phones, low cost airlines, etc. Make it super easy to form connections regardless of where you are. If you are a good coach, you are a good coach. You will form connections almost instantly if needed. Regional exp. Is so low in regards to importance when hiring a new coach. Most of them travel all around the country and know each other any ways now adays. Xs and Os, coaching exp. Passion are more important.

Reaction Score
I think recruiting based on regions is over stated. This is not horse and buggy times of 130 years ago or whatever. We live in a global society and as far as recruiting are just talking about one country for the most part. Cell phones, low cost airlines, etc. Make it super easy to form connections regardless of where you are. If you are a good coach, you are a good coach. You will form connections almost instantly if needed. Regional exp. Is so low in regards to importance when hiring a new coach. Most of them travel all around the country and know each other any ways now adays. Xs and Os, coaching exp. Passion are more important.

Recruiting is important for everyone. Regional recruiting is important for many schools, especially those who can't receire nationally. Shaka is averaging a top 10 class recruiting nationally. And people are blaming his mediocrity on being in an unfamiliar region. I don't get it.

Reaction Score
Recruiting is important, I just do not totally buy that it is restricted to regions in 2018... Maybe in 1978. Less and less each year. Technology, increased money at programs disposal, etc. Is/has made regions more and more irrelevant. Unfamiliar region? I don't buy it, the world Is so much smaller now than it was even two decades ago. This idea of countries (now that we have the EU), like it or not, is dying, never mind regions. Most of these coaches know each other and other important people in the business, travel so much now and can more easily form connections anywhere.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Post/handle.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Shaka has only been there for the last 3 years. Still think Texas at the very least reaches the S-16 with Jones. And making the tournament 2/3 years is something we’d take at this point.

Reaction Score
Shaka has only been there for the last 3 years. Still think Texas at the very least reaches the S-16 with Jones. And making the tournament 2/3 years is something we’d take at this point.

You're making injury excuses for Shaka?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom