Shaka Smart, Kevin Ollie and Mark Turgeon coaching Team USA | The Boneyard

Shaka Smart, Kevin Ollie and Mark Turgeon coaching Team USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They have the order mixed up, but great news, nonetheless. Plus, often times the players connect most with the assistant coaches, although I give Shaka credit as one of the good guys in the business. (who still took an L to UConn this year, at home..)

Reaction Score
Hopefully bamba and duval are on the roster, This should be great for 2017 recruiting indeed. Shaka got the "USA" bump when he was first brought on too

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
This is nothing but good news, especially with respect to keeping KO in the college ranks.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Turgeon as a coach barely deserves to be KOs and Shaka's waterboy
Turgeon served as a USA Basketball court coach this past summer at the 2015 U.S. Pan American Men’s Basketball Team training camp.

In 2015-16, Turgeon led the Terrapins to a 27-9 record and the NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen.

In his five seasons as head coach at the University of Maryland, he owns an overall record of 114-49 record (.675 winning percentage).

He also was the head coach at Texas A&M University for four seasons, at Wichita State University for seven seasons and at Jacksonville State University for two seasons. In 18 seasons as a collegiate head coach, he is 364-218 (.625 winning percentage).

He also owns 10 years of experience as a college assistant coach and one year (1997-98) as an assistant coach with the NBA Philadelphia 76ers.

“I’m really excited and appreciative of this opportunity to be associated with USA Basketball and the U18 national team,” Turgeon said. “I have a great deal of respect for Shaka Smart and Kevin Ollie and look forward to working with them and a talented group of players.”

Reaction Score
How does it work? Did Shaka seek the job then have a hand in choosing assistants?

Reaction Score
Boeheim is the chair of the selection committee and chose all three.

Others on the committee:
In addition to Boeheim, the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Committee includes Bob McKillop (Davidson University), Matt Painter (Purdue University), Lorenzo Romar (University of Washington) and athlete representative Curtis Sumpter.

Reaction Score
Turgeon served as a USA Basketball court coach this past summer at the 2015 U.S. Pan American Men’s Basketball Team training camp.

In 2015-16, Turgeon led the Terrapins to a 27-9 record and the NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen.

In his five seasons as head coach at the University of Maryland, he owns an overall record of 114-49 record (.675 winning percentage).

He also was the head coach at Texas A&M University for four seasons, at Wichita State University for seven seasons and at Jacksonville State University for two seasons. In 18 seasons as a collegiate head coach, he is 364-218 (.625 winning percentage).

He also owns 10 years of experience as a college assistant coach and one year (1997-98) as an assistant coach with the NBA Philadelphia 76ers.

“I’m really excited and appreciative of this opportunity to be associated with USA Basketball and the U18 national team,” Turgeon said. “I have a great deal of respect for Shaka Smart and Kevin Ollie and look forward to working with them and a talented group of players.”
So John Calipari should be coaching the Men's Olympic Team if you're going to go purely off raw winning percentages and years

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wow this is GREAT
But I am confused - why didn't Shaka consult with Tenspro and the rest of the KO bashers 1st????
this could be a mistake - KO cant develop talent, is a lousy game coach and God knows what he does during practices - so we have been told
Congrats KO

Reaction Score
Boeheim is the chair of the selection committee and chose all three.

Others on the committee:
In addition to Boeheim, the USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Team Committee includes Bob McKillop (Davidson University), Matt Painter (Purdue University), Lorenzo Romar (University of Washington) and athlete representative Curtis Sumpter.

Curtis Sumpter, former Villanova star interesting. Didn't he have a cople injuries which held him back a bit? I think UConn also recruited him pretty hard if I do remember correctly back in the day.

Reaction Score
Ollie should be the head coach, he has won a NC. B.S. about prior USA experience but no surprise coming from Boeheim who has only 1 NC in 40 years of coaching.

Reaction Score
Curtis Sumpter, former Villanova star interesting. Didn't he have a cople injuries which held him back a bit? I think UConn also recruited him pretty hard if I do remember correctly back in the day.
When I hear Curtis Sumpter's name, all I can think of is the "Calhoun Banged Sumpter's Mom" sign that a fan had at Gampel.

Reaction Score
2 observations.
Maryland is an UA school and USA basketball has been a Nike heavy organization for a while.

i wish there was a better offensive minded coach on the staff for Ollie to get some ideas from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom