Shaheen Holloway to Seton Hall | The Boneyard

Shaheen Holloway to Seton Hall

Reaction Score
Big East coaching profile went up this off season. Replaced Willard/Steele with Miller/Holloway will make the BE a higher profile conference next season. Hurley, Cooley, Wright, Miller, Holloway, Shaka, DePauls coach(forget his name), McDermott. Some really great, entertaining coaches. Should he fun

Reaction Score
Big East coaching profile went up this off season. Replaced Willard/Steele with Miller/Holloway will make the BE a higher profile conference next season. Hurley, Cooley, Wright, Miller, Holloway, Shaka, DePauls coach(forget his name), McDermott. Some really great, entertaining coaches. Should he fun
Wow. When you line up all the coaches in a row, it's an impressive list.

You forgot Mike Anderson too. He's been a very good, stabilizing hire for the Johnnie's.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Going from Willard to Holloway shouldn’t be considered a step up for the Big East. But Miller is a huge addition. I’d say that makes it neutral/positive.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

You forgot Mike Anderson too. He's been a very good, stabilizing hire for the Johnnie's.
Pretty sure St Johns fans are done with him, at least the twitter fans…

Reaction Score

That coaching lineup might be the best in the country. Or at least it's definitely top 3 among all the conferences. Jay Wright has already been the best coach in college since 2016, and Miller, McDermott, Shaka are definitely in that next tier of top 20 coaches in the country. Hurley still needs to win in March to get into that next tier but he'll get there soon enough (hopefully next season is the breakthrough).

Probably a toss up between the Big East and SEC for best coaching roster next year

Reaction Score
Going from Willard to Holloway shouldn’t be considered a step up for the Big East. But Miller is a huge addition. I’d say that makes it neutral/positive.
I think it's a step up. Willard did a good job at Seton Hall but he reached his ceiling there and that was a first round exit every year in the tournament. Outside of the Whitehead, Delgado, Carrington class he wasn't recruiting well. I expect Holloway to resonate with recruits right away and he certainly showed he can coach his arse off this tournament. In terms of national perception Holloway is already a bigger name based off of the last 2 weeks than Willard is after 10 years at SHU.

Reaction Score
Anderson is a pretty good coach at St. Johns. If he gets some recruits they could make some serious noise.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think it's a step up. Willard did a good job at Seton Hall but he reached his ceiling there and that was a first round exit every year in the tournament. Outside of the Whitehead, Delgado, Carrington class he wasn't recruiting well. I expect Holloway to resonate with recruits right away and he certainly showed he can coach his arse off this tournament. In terms of national perception Holloway is already a bigger name based off of the last 2 weeks than Willard is after 10 years at SHU.
Agree the hire has tons of upside, he’s a media darling, and that’ll help with recruiting. But in terms of national perception, casuals will forget his name in the next month or two, and Willard is moving on to a bigger and more prestigious program, so I’d take his national perception long term.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not in actual coaching, but in profile? Holloway is the hottest young coach in America. It’s almost Shaka coming out of VCU levels
Right this second, I agree. But I think by next season most watchers won’t remember the guy who led St Peter’s to the E8. He’s still a great hire for them either way, so there’s no point in arguing.

Reaction Score

It is an impressive list considering you can leave off (rightly so I think) an NBA legend and a coach who hasn't had a below .500 season in like forever. Only ho-hum coach right now is Butler. But even he is a grad of his school.

The Big East is a conference that has a story. And it is better when each coach has a story between them and their school/city/state/region/history. It makes the story of the BE Season all the more exciting and rich.

Reaction Score
Hope he goes back with team before heading to Seton Hall.
I think his team is good with him taking job...he went to SH and this isn't news...win win. Don't be surprised if he brings a couple of St. Peter's players with him to SH.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think he'll be able to keep a bunch of NJ kids near home. It's the obvious hire.
Yeah for sure. Will probably make things a little harder for Hurley, who has grabbed more than his fair share of NJ guys recently. Don't know how you could watch Holloway during this run and not want to play for that dude at the Hall.

Ultimately, we'll do just fine though, and it will be a net positive for the league.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Great hire by SH
The NBE coaching line up is really great with the exception of one - Miller - that DB should never be coaching again EVERYTHING that was bad at Zona was on him, not prior coaches. Xavier has a huge credibility issue IMHO - there are plenty of good coaches out there who deserve the opportunity - not a proven cheat

Reaction Score

Shh don’t tell freescooter

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I've said this a couple times on here but the story with Willard changes quite a bit if they could have played out the covid year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom