Shades of Marcus Johnson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shades of Marcus Johnson

Reaction Score
The kid had nothing but time to shoot the rock last year. Disappointing progression from a kid so highly regarded coming out of high school.
This is a good point for those thinking he magically improves his shooting over the summer, which I just don’t buy.

Reaction Score
As a player, he reminds me of Roscoe Smith the most. Bit of a tweener, not much of a skillset, wanted to be a wing but that was never going to happen. Marcus Johnson was a SG/SF. Sid is a SF/PF. Roscoe was a PF who wanted to be a SF.

Sticks was so unbelievably athletic that he transcended his subpar skillset and was an impact player. Sid isn't close to that level of athlete.
Roscoe was #6 in the nation in rebounds per game his year at UNLV. Would love if Sid got to that level.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Right now I rarely like Sid on the floor. He's a freak athlete as everyone likes to say, no doubter there. But he came with the idea of a mid range game and could lock down people on D. He's not close to either of those at this point. Last night when he and Cobb were in the game Temple was having a party on offense, 2 guys who just don't get it on D on the court same time was a bad decision by Dan Hurley. He has a long way to go in my eyes, doesn't rebound because he depends on his jumping ability rather than any physical use boxing out. He made a couple 3's in a game a couple weeks ago but for the most part, he can't shoot and his FT's are awful. Hey I was happy the kid came here, supreme athlete but if you don't get the game it sometimes never becomes everything you're expecting. I'm concerned but hope he listens real well, does his summer duties to the fullest no time off and comes back ready to challenge himself to be better in all aspects of the game.

I'm willing to bet a lot of that is due to the guys he's playing with. You tend to look a lot better when everyone else around you can play.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to see a lot of old MJ in Sid Wilson. Off the charts athleticism, highlight reel dunks, great leaping ability, shot blocking, and proficiency in getting steals. As you likely remember, when Marcus Johnson was a freshman at UConn, mock draft sites had him going as a lottery pick after his junior year.

Unfortunately, there are other things about Wilson that remind me of Johnson. Can't hit the three, no mid range shot, and a disaster at the free throw line. It's too early to try to really speculate on his career trajectory at this point, especially after sitting out a year, but the resemblance is a tad eerie.

Oh, that Marcus Johnson.

That Marcus Johnson, as a freshman, was 100 times smarter as a basketball player than Sid as a redshirt frosh. He limited himself because he couldn't shoot, but he understood the game of basketball to add to his athleticism so he didn't hurt you when he was on the floor. He would be starting on this year's team and would make us better. This is a guy who got some minutes -- not tons but some -- in '06, when we had at least 7 or 8 players who were better than anyone we have now.

Reaction Score
Roscoe was #6 in the nation in rebounds per game his year at UNLV. Would love if Sid got to that level.

Roscoe wasn't a tweener. He was a 4. And a damned good one as a true frosh -- good enough to play about 20 minutes a game there on a national championship team and defend and rebound like a much stronger and older player. Roscoe's problem was he viewed himself as a college tweener, and an NBA 3, and thus wanted to play away from the hoop. Because he could hit spot up 3s, he though that made him a wing. He was wrong.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
These posts are why I sift through all the name calling and crying on the boneyard: to get to the fun discussions about our favorite basketball team.

Great compare and wow, how do you remember guys like Marcus Johnson??

I think Sid needed a year of playing time. I am thankful he got time on the court this year and didn't just waste away on the bench. So, now we get to see if he can take what he learned this year on the court about himself and translate to what he needs to change/adjust. It is too early to see where he will end up. Next year will be interesting to see how he has progressed (if at all).

Thanks
Couldn't agree more
He needs to get to a camp where experienced players can help him out on the mechanics of shooting and defensive techniques. He's not going to get that from anyone hanging in Storrs or home in NYC.
If he is dedicated to improving his game he knows who he can call and get connected to some great camps where he can be a "counselor" and pay little/nothing.
Then he can come back to Storrs and DH can blend him into the system

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Oh, that Marcus Johnson.

That Marcus Johnson, as a freshman, was 100 times smarter as a basketball player than Sid as a redshirt frosh. He limited himself because he couldn't shoot, but he understood the game of basketball to add to his athleticism so he didn't hurt you when he was on the floor. He would be starting on this year's team and would make us better. This is a guy who got some minutes -- not tons but some -- in '06, when we had at least 7 or 8 players who were better than anyone we have now.

I really liked Marcus Johnson when he was with us and really wish he could've reached the high expectations that once were in place. He was a good character guy as well, something I also see in Sid.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd settle if he could be Rudy Johnson from Rudy's final season.

That dude was close to AG when it came to injury bug.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I'd settle if he could be Rudy Johnson from Rudy's final season.

That dude was close to AG when it came to injury bug.

I remember the game where Rudy Johnson had a career high of 24 with a good chunk of the 2nd half left to go then injured his ankle and couldn't return. This is back when WLIS carried the games by radio, which is how I would have to catch the non-WTNH games before I had cable.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Marcus didn't play team ball. If he made a shot, the next time he touched the ball it was going up.

Reaction Score
He is so lost on offense. When he catches he just wants to quickly reverse the ball so he gets it out of his hands. He is playing more timid than he was earlier in the season which is a bad sign. His defense is better as he doesn’t get lost very much at all anymore but his offense has regressed to the point where he is scared to touch the ball and is not a threat to do anything when he gets it. This is really bad

Reaction Score
He should study Quinton Rose. That is his upside.

Rose immediately had the handle and shifty style, didn't he? They do have similar body types but I think that's it.

I will pat myself for having the most reserved take on Sid out of anyone on this board. Its hard to be an impact guy without a handle, jumper or high court IQ. You don't need all of them but you certainly need at least 1.

I still think he will have a very good career but it is likely going to be his junior year when we see him as a plus player.

Reaction Score
I'm willing to bet a lot of that is due to the guys he's playing with. You tend to look a lot better when everyone else around you can play.

If this team had players that could “play” then Sid would most definitely not be playing. Maybe next year.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Sid needs to practice shooter whenever he can. Off the dribble would suit him best with the mid range jumper. But anything would help. He has talent, but is just limited big time by his lack of offense unless it is putbacks or dunks

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I have to pipe in and say that he reminds me more of Sticks (Stanley Robinson).

I do not see much of Sticks in him. Outside of Sticks abysmal junior year from 3 he was actually a pretty good shooter. I have not seen that potential from Sid quite yet. Sticks problem was he fell in love with the 3 at times instead of slashing and just jumping over people. Sticks really found his niche later in his junior year on that final 4 run crashing the boards for put back dunks and backside lobs. I was a little disappointed with Sid this year. He Sat out a year and it does not appeae he worked on anything in that season. It was almost like he came in this season as a true freshman. I see a ton of potential but he needs to put the work in.

Reaction Score
Even as a freshman, Roscoe could rebound. Sid has not yet demonstrated that he can. But Sid has not thrown up any desperation buzzer-beater heaves with 11 seconds to go on the clock, so he does have that over Roscoe.

His rebounding wasn't anything special as a freshman. Better than Sid, sure, but Roscoe averaged 6/5 in 25 MPG on 38% FG. His TRB% was only 11%, about what Vital's is this year and nothing special for a frontcourt player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom